Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Economic Stimulus Plan - NOT (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/economic-stimulus-plan-not-11502/)

JohnN 01-24-2008 07:41 PM

Economic Stimulus Plan - NOT

OK, well, I'm sorry. I'm glad the folks who work and earn $3,000/year will get their nice extra check. I live off of My savings, pay plenty in taxes but don't have the earned income.

Nor do a lot of retired and poor folks, who need the "stimulus".
If we're going to expand the federal deficit, why not include all taxpayers, or all folks?
Just how I feel about it.

richman 01-24-2008 08:04 PM

Re: Economic Stimulus Plan - NOT

I think throwing out cash as a stimulus is the worst thing to do; especially when there will be more debt to cover it. This is just politics at work so that both sides can say they reacted. Right now, reacting is the worst thing to do. Recessions, just like bull and bear markets are cyclical.

JohnN 01-24-2008 08:10 PM

richman, BINGO, see we do agree.
This is a political deal to boost before the elections.

It's more federal deficit, what's the point of that since we've got plenty.

If they need to keep the few hundred bucks, fine, but why keep the benefit from the very poorest (for the most part) if determined to do it?
I think folks living on social security only (ie: my in-laws) could really use this and wouldn't get it.

paul 01-24-2008 11:24 PM

Is it true that this rebate in realty is just a loan that will have to be paid back next year from your tax refunds?

MUSICIAN 01-25-2008 12:42 AM

They are borrowing the money. Don't think it's coming from your tax bill next year, but believe it that you will pay back in another way. Also, they are paying it out to people who don't even pay taxes. That's just plain wrong.

zcaveman 01-25-2008 03:20 AM

Where the heck are they getting the money to give us the $800 per person?

All this administration is doing is spend, spend, spend.

They will borrow the money via a loan of some kind and saddle us with the debt.

If I do get the $800 it is going into my savings account and it will not "stimulate" the economy.

Ooper 01-25-2008 03:53 AM

A number of not too many years ago, house holds received $600 if I remember right. This helped the economy greatly get a jump start again. People spending more money on merchandise, create more demand, create more jobs to create the supply for that demand and it goes on and on. This is not to necessarily help dear Uncle Joe pay his utility bill, although he is more than welcomed to do that... this is to help the overall economy. This is just what we need... but it should have a permanent tax cut to go along with it.

jjdees 01-25-2008 04:29 PM

Z, It's not just the administration

SteveZ 01-25-2008 05:44 PM

You can tell it's the start of the election year - Congresspersons want to give away money to get votes. I guess I just have to see which representatives votes in favor of this debacle, just so I can vote for their opponent!

l2ridehd 01-25-2008 10:49 PM

ALL SPENDING is done by congress. The President and Senate can recommend, sponsor bills, provide ideas, provide support, but unless congress passes it nothing gets spent. So blame who ever makes you feel good about it, but 100% of every dollar ever spent by your elected governement has to have congresses stamp of approval. It makes me ill every time I hear a congressman complaining about someone spending to much and people listen. They had to pass it. Can't happen any other way.

MUSICIAN 01-25-2008 11:00 PM

The Senate gives final approval to legislation in the Congress (i.e., Border Fence Bill). The Senate also introduces bills, which the President can also veto. The President has the pen unless he gets overridden.

lm01 01-26-2008 03:18 AM

Last time they did this I got nothing!!!!!! $0.00, nada, zilch..........I expect the same this time around.

REDCART 01-26-2008 04:31 AM

Just another point of trivia. Although both houses of Congress ultimately pass legislation, ALL spending bills must originate in the House. George

Boomer 01-29-2008 11:07 PM

While Congress is doing this bread and circuses vote-buying dance, have they even visited the idea of taking a look at extending the lowered tax rate on long term capital gains and dividends? It expires at the end of 2010.

Why doesn't anybody want to buy my vote?

I think I am fast becoming irrelevant - even to the elephant.

Russ_Boston 01-30-2008 04:26 PM

The latest talk (from Shumer D-NY) is that the Dems will NOT extend the expiring tax breaks if they get control of the White House and thus control the potential veto. I know that these breaks are more than just the CG tax. See link here: http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=6621
Scary stuff!