Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Driving Gofl Carts Through Tunnels (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/driving-gofl-carts-through-tunnels-11503/)

Floridagal 01-24-2008 08:18 PM

Driving Gofl Carts Through Tunnels

My husband was driving his golf cart through one of the tunnels yesterday when a golf cart was coming the other way down the ramp at a high rate of speed and made his turn on the wrong side of the road. Good thing our golf cart has good brakes anf this "gentlemen" was heading straight for him. My husband slammed on his brakes and turned the golf cart. The other gentlemen ended up in the wall. His wife turned to him and said "I told you to drive slower".

I think everyone should take a lesson from this and drive their golf cart at the correct speed and drive slower especially going into the tunnels.

redwitch 01-24-2008 11:05 PM

Re: Driving Gofl Carts Through Tunnels

Aw, where's your sense of adventure?

I actually had a golf cart run me into the wall at the Morse tunnel on Jess's scooter when he turned too fast. Of course the dolt didn't stop. Probably a good thing because I was spitting mad!

lm01 01-25-2008 02:13 AM

Those tunnels give me the creeps. Because of the steep grades going into them and sharp turns required.

Please remember to Go Slow friends or you will be having a bad day in more ways than one.

DENNIS G 01-25-2008 02:40 AM

When I am coming to the end of the tunnels, especially if I know it is a blind corner, I always blow the horn to alert anyone coming down the ramp.

Ooper 01-25-2008 03:10 AM

No need to make all that racket with a horn... most tunnels that have a blind corner have mirrors if people would learn to use them. And people should remember, when you exit a tunnel, you have to yield to carts on the main path. :cop: More than once, I have almost gotten nailed when people, barreling up a tunnel ramp, don't even slow down let alone yield. People just need to go slower and pay attention to traffic signs.

Russ_Boston 01-25-2008 01:32 PM

Sounds like a scooter on the main road would be safer!

billethkid 01-25-2008 01:56 PM

Remember this is TV...America's Friendliest Home Town....unless they happen to be behind the wheel!!!

Yield? That is not in the memory banks of too many drivers here in TV.
Speed bumps...they drive around them.

Stop signs?......they drive right through them.

Mirrors?....No use what so ever.

These comments are for the 20% who break/ignore the rules. They are lucky the resyt of us in the 80% do obey the rules or there would be even more injuries/deaths.

A serious, serious problem in TV that is ignored because nobody wants to deal with what it takes to fix it....yes that would involve hurting some's feelings....oh my!

The only tool we have is to drive defensively.....

BTK

Hope2b 01-25-2008 01:59 PM

Twice at the Savanna center/Glenview tunnel someone has entered the exit and were coming at me head on. Luckily it was not at the turn. No mirror at that spot.

SteveZ 01-25-2008 02:16 PM

One of the headaches of the tunnels is that there are no painted lanes on the approaches going into a lot of the tunnels. Some of these approaches require 90-degree turns after a steep descent, and a lot of folk "round" out these angles, resulting in encroachment into the opposite lane.

As most folk tend to stay within lanes when they are obvious, a little paint may help alleviate this headache.

redwitch 01-25-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
Sounds like a scooter on the main road would be safer!

I came to the same conclusion and have told my daughter so. I do recommend she stay on the golf cart paths if it is raining on her way home from work (around 11:00 pm).

The Gray Hog 01-26-2008 02:53 PM

Still holding my nose due to the 'gasser' that went thru the tunnel before us.....ouuuuu :redface:
Now breatheeeee whew!

tonycirocco 01-26-2008 06:22 PM

Gasser?

Ever follow someone smoking a big cigar??

punkpup 01-27-2008 11:12 PM

WOW!!! After having had several hair raising experiences :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :cus: :realmad: driving through the tunnels myself I think painted lanes might help.

Ya have to admit it though, there really is something twisted about those of us who get behind the wheel of a tiny little vehicle like a Golf Cart and turn into "Clyde Crash Cup". 1rnfl