Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Snakes in homes in the Villages? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/snakes-homes-villages-11531/)

lm01 01-26-2008 12:53 AM

Snakes in homes in the Villages?

I just read the sponsor link on Pest Control. Have you folks ever gotten snakes in your garage or home in the Villages? I didn't think this was a big problem here.
But if you did what kind of snakes are around the Villages?

Hope2b 01-26-2008 12:54 AM

Re: Snakes in homes in the Villages?

Been here since 2002 and have never seen a snake. Now mice, that is another thing!!!!

ilovesoup 01-26-2008 01:05 AM

We've had a green patterned 3 foot snake in our yard. Looked it up on the internet and I think it's a Florida garter snake. Also got a baby snake caught in one of those gummy pest catchers on our garage floor by the garage door. We live in Ashland Village. Friends have had snakes who live around preserves. This is their habitat. Hey, if they eat geckos, I'm all for them!

nONIE 01-26-2008 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovesoup
We've had a green patterned 3 foot snake in our yard. Looked it up on the internet and I think it's a Florida garter snake. Also got a baby snake caught in one of those gummy pest catchers on our garage floor by the garage door. We live in Ashland Village. Friends have had snakes who live around preserves. This is their habitat. Hey, if they eat geckos, I'm all for them!

Hey, Whats wrong with geckos??? They sure do keep the bug population down and I think they are a lot cuter then a snake :yikes:

Not being a floridian yet I would be open to hearing about any harmful things that geckos are responsible for.

lm01 01-26-2008 01:22 AM

I see nothing wrong with GEICO :bigthumbsup:

gfmucci 01-26-2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nonie
Hey, Whats wrong with geckos??? They sure do keep* the bug population down and I think they are a lot cuter then a snake :yikes: Not being a floridian yet I would be open to hearing about any harmful things that geckos are responsible for.

Geckos are great to have around the house... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gecko And they keep Shelby (left) entertained for hours!

REDCART 01-26-2008 03:28 AM

Imo1. You may recall that I posted the snake\mice question for Deans a few days ago. During a routine "bug" treatment from Deans, Michelle, their service tech (who is excellent by the way), mentioned that she had just came from a call where she had to remove a black snake from a garage. Didn't seem to faze her in the least. So, when I asked Dean's if the "snakes" were covered, I knew they did that kind of thing but I wasn't sure that it was covered by the contract. The mice thing seems to be sporadic. When they disturb an area during construction, the little fellas go out to find a new home. I've heard mention of someone trapping 17 mice in a CYV, and the next door neighbors having none. I know Dean's is a paid sponsor of TOTV but we've continued to use them because they were listed as the original Termite contractor. We've been extremely Happy with their service and their immediate response times. George

Villages Kahuna 01-26-2008 09:05 AM

"My" Snake

I was out doing a little work in the garden today and as I approached the sunniest and warmest side of our house I confronted about a 6-7 foot long, maybe 2-inch diameter totally black snake. After facing off against one another and flipping our tongues (well he did at least), he slithered into the bushes next to our garage.

I guess maybe I'll keep my garage door down now.

Hmmm, I wonder what Massey will do about this? Send out the snake wrangler?

Taltarzac 01-26-2008 01:55 PM

Re: "My" Snake

Quote:

Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna
I was out doing a little work in the garden today and as I approached the sunniest and warmest side of our house I confronted about a 6-7 foot long, maybe 2-inch diameter totally black snake. After facing off against one another and flipping our tongues (well he did at least), he slithered into the bushes next to our garage.

I guess maybe I'll keep my garage door down now.

Hmmm, I wonder what Massey will do about this? Send out the snake wrangler?

Saw these often in Palm Harbor, FL. Sounds like a black racer. http://myfwc.com/viewing/species/snakesn.html

Just try not to corner it.

Villages Kahuna 01-26-2008 04:35 PM

Yep, That Was Probably A Southern Black Racer...

...he looked just like the description and pictures in the Florida Wildlife Commission article posted below. And once he saw me and was "cornered" while sunning against the wall of my house, he quickly slithered into the bushes...and I mean quickly.

I'll still begin to keep my garage door closed. But at least I don't think I'll be worrying about mice. Too bad we didn't have blacksnakes up north. They might have taken care of teh chipmunks!

gonzy 01-26-2008 04:41 PM

Had a small snake in the garage one time when I left the screen open think he came in to escape the cold. Have seen a couple other small snakes around house but no worse than up north. The Geckos eat ants so they are my buddies. I live on golf course and seem to have a lot of ants invading from the gc. The GC people don't seem to be very interested in taking care of the ant nests so I've had to deal with them on the Gc property bordering mine.

Barefoot 01-30-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonzy
I live on golf course and seem to have a lot of ants invading from the gc. The GC people don't seem to be very interested in taking care of the ant nests so I've had to deal with them on the Gc property bordering mine.

I also live on a golf course and there were fire ant hills on the course directly in back of our yard. I called the GC people and they had it sprayed the same day! :bigthumbsup: