Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Shredded tires for landscaping?? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/shredded-tires-landscaping-11550/)

Becky 01-27-2008 04:24 PM

Shredded tires for landscaping??

When in TV over New Years, I saw a home that had shredded tires for mulch. I really liked the look of it and the fact that you don't replenish it as often as mulch. Anyone have any info on it? Anyone have it? Pros and cons please!

Thanks!

Becky

rekops 01-28-2008 12:53 AM

Re: Shredded tires for landscaping??

We used it at our villa and had no problems with it. It was lighter weight than stone, so we could spread it ourselves, and as you say, it doesn't need to be replenished as does the bark mulch. Stone, particularly the darker colors, gets quite hot in the summer, and can be tougher on the landscaping. We placed the rubber mulch 3-4 inches deep, I believe, which was recommended. The best price we found was Fairfield farms. I think you can buy it directly from them, or you can hire them to place it for you. Worth a call to talk with them if you have questions.

Villages Kahuna 01-28-2008 01:52 AM

Does It Smell?

I've never actually seen it in use, but I know it's becoming more common. In the heat of the Florida summers, does it emit a "rubbery odor"? That would be bad.

bamafan 01-28-2008 02:00 AM

We used this type of mulch at our home in Birmingham. First of all it is rather expensive, about $23.00 for a bag. We had it in our shrub beds for 2 years and it looked as good after 2 years as the day we put it down. We did need to buy a couple of bags to replenish some bare areas. The only problem we had was when we had to edge out the shrub beds this stuff does not take well to an edger. It goes all over the place. Lawnmowers also kick around even more when it gets kicked into the grass. It is not easy to sweep up. The up side, was not having to buy mulch every 6 months. Would I buy it again Probably Not. Looking to do stone, like lava rock.

ilvgolf 01-28-2008 02:39 AM

I have had it down for about six or seven years. Before I had curbing installed, it did run into the grass but now it stays put. I have one bed that I have to refill because I moved the mulch around into the other beds. I have found a supplier in Wildwood: Global Tire Recycling, 1201 Industrial Dr. 352-330-2213. I am going to call them tomorrow to see if they will sell directly to the public. Also, there are TWO kinds of rubber mulch - the kind that Fairfield sells is large pieces of rubber. I have what is called Eraser rubber mulch. I have not had to put any mulch down in six or seven years and the little bit that I need is being done becuase I have caused it be done. I love it. Also, Browne Distributors on South 441/27 (down by the Highway patrol office) also sells it and the kind that I want, they say, is about $14.95 a bag. I beleive you can get the bigger mulch at Fairfield for about $8.95 a bag.

Becky 01-28-2008 10:27 AM

Thanks so much for the help! VK - never thought about an odor from it. That would be bad! Looks like I have more research to do.

Bama, could you elaborate on the lava rock? Have not seen it yet. Does it stay put? Does it get very hot?

Thanks!

Becky

rekops 01-28-2008 12:44 PM

When we bought our rubber mulch, I had seen it at a property owner's house, and stopped and inquired of them where they had purchased, etc. The woman actually let me take a small sample so I could get the same color and size. If you see it somewhere, and you like the look, you may want to consider asking them directly how they like it. Most people are very friendly and would be more than willing to answer your questions. good luck!

JohnN 01-28-2008 02:32 PM

I wondered if the heat would "fuse" it together over time and not make it scatter?
doesn't sound like it

Russ_Boston 01-28-2008 03:23 PM

I know that FLA summers are hot but... melting tires? May have to reconsider TV :joke:

beady 01-28-2008 04:43 PM

Have friends in Bonneybrook that switched to rubber last year and they love it. No problems , no odor and no need for constant replacement.

We plan to replace to switch to rubber this spring when we do a bit of relandscaping.

chuckinca 01-28-2008 09:11 PM

Isn't the government in a pickle in some areas where they dumped old tires in the ocean to create artificial habitat for the marine life and after many years have discovered that the tires are leaching chemicals into the environment. This is costing many millions of dollars to remove the tires.

It wouldn't be a good thing if when you (or your heirs) went to sell your home that it was discovered that the soil was contaminated with tire chemicals.

(that being said - thousands of sports fields have been installed in the past 5 years or so using "Field Turf" which is made of old tires)

beady 01-28-2008 10:37 PM

Guess I had better do some research on the tire mulch. I had not heard that they might leach off chemicals. Guess I better have a Plan B. :dontknow: :dontknow:

Becky 01-28-2008 10:47 PM

beady, when you have done your research please post it here! ;) I really hate the thought of making a wrong decision and having to redo something!

Thanks guys for all the responses!

Becky

bamafan 01-28-2008 11:01 PM

Becky, I cannot tell you a whole lot about lava rock, or red rock. I have noticed that numerous homes in TV have what appears to me to be lava rock in their shrub beds. They also have different kinds of gravel. I also received a couple of fliers from landscapers on putting rock in the beds. I know that I like the look, and obviously the durability. I was told though that the porous quality tended to allow thingys to grow in the rock. Maybe some others in TV who have rock could help us both out. I do know that my wife want to do concrete edging around the beds, so that would help contain whatever we use.

handieman 01-29-2008 12:19 AM

Not to divert the conversation on rubber mulch but:
I have found pine bark nuggets (not the small stuff) looks natural and in the past year has needed very little refreshing
The nuggets won't blow away like the lighter organic mulch's and I'm comfortable with using mother natures own product. Even if I do have to refresh ($4.00 per bag) I at least know it was degraded back into the soil. Adding a plant to the flower bed merely requires me to move aside the nuggets, dig the hole, plant the plant and place the nuggets back where they were
Just a thought ::)
Handie :joke: