Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Contractors and Services (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/)
-   -   Fairfield Farms Nursuries & Landscaping? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/contractors-services-91/fairfield-farms-nursuries-landscaping-11636/)

Prizmz 02-01-2008 06:21 PM

Fairfield Farms Nursuries & Landscaping?

I am looking for a quality landscaper.

Does anyone have an opinion about Fairfield Farms on Highway 301 in Oxford?

I would appreicate any input.

Thanks.

aln 02-01-2008 06:51 PM

Re: Fairfield Farms Nursuries & Landscaping?

My opinion is that it looks like they have very nice stuff. Looks expensive and probably is.
My advice - Get LOTS of estimates

Barefoot 02-01-2008 07:06 PM

I've had Fairfield Farms in to do a quote, the representative they sent was very knowledgeable and pleasant. When I asked for input regarding FF Farms, one of our TOTV experts sent me a PM saying FF does good work. When I receive the quote I'll post again.

Also had Terrascape in to do a quote. The jury is still out.

Indy-Guy 02-01-2008 07:07 PM

Fairfield Farms did our Courtyard Villa. We are very pleased with their work and they did all they said they would do when they said they would do it. To me that is important.

They were perhaps a little more $ than we could have paid elsewhere but they are good people to work with.

jtdraig 02-01-2008 07:28 PM

Best advice is to get several estimates.....they are getting hungrier and you will get a better deal than when we moved here in 2005. Fairlfield is one of the good ones but do yourself a favor and get other estimates. You will be happy you did.

johnfarr 02-01-2008 07:28 PM

Get a quote from A & C Exteriors. Great work, good prices.

505 Sunbelt Rd
Lady Lake, FL , 32159-5604
Phone: 352-753-3322

Barefoot 02-01-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnfarr
Get a quote from A & C Exteriors. Great work, good prices.
505 Sunbelt Rd
Lady Lake, FL , 32159-5604
Phone: 352-753-3322

Those are the words I like to hear "great work, good prices". I'll call them today for a quote. Thanks John.

Prizmz 02-02-2008 02:17 AM

Thanks for the information. I have had quotes rangin from $4K to $12K. Fairfield Farms was $9K.

Fairfield Farms' guarantee was for six months and they would repalce at 50% cost to the consumer. Is this the typical guarantee around here?

Barefoot 02-02-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prizmz
Thanks for the information. I have had quotes rangin from $4K to $12K. Fairfield Farms was $9K.

Fairfield Farms' guarantee was for six months and they would repalce at 50% cost to the consumer. Is this the typical guarantee around here?

Can you share with us who did the $4K quote and how you felt about the company?
Guess it is buyer beware when dealing with landscapers!

My neighbour saw the Terrascape truck at my house and came over to tell me they had used that company and were very happy with the results.

villages07 02-02-2008 01:49 PM

Prizmz.... we used Fairfield and were happy with the results; Per unit of plant/tree installed they were more expensive than other quotes we got, but, our designer (Wendy) came up with a very creative and somewhat unique plan (included a nice flagstone walkway through the front landscaped area). We nixed a lighting package she suggested and tweaked a few other things. She did not 'overplan' and when they were done, I thought it looked a little skimpy....she said...don't worry, it'll fill-in in no time and she was right...within 2 months the coverage looked just right. The other company had way too many plants.

There was a 10% coupon in our 'newcomers' guide for Fairfield and we didn't have an overly elaborate package, so, our investment was less than $3K.

One good thing about Fairfield is that you pick out your own palms and other major trees...most other landscapers just bring it in on a truck and you get what you get.

I, too, thought their warranty was a bit light....but, we're almost to the end of our year and everything has done fine. I think the quality of their products is higher than many other companies. Note...they do not do curbing, so, you'd have to get another vendor to do that.

Prizmz 02-02-2008 02:31 PM

Villagers07,

Thanks for your insights. FF has been the most impressive so far. We are working with Dani, and she has twice driven to scapes we liked to get a better feel for what we like.

Did you decide against lighting or was there some other reason that made you cut that aspect?

Prizmz

Prizmz 02-02-2008 02:42 PM

Villagers07 asserted a coupon for Fairfield Farms in the newcomer's booklet. I checked the booklet I received and there wasn't a coupon. Might anyone have a coupon that is not going to be used?

Thanks.

Prizmz

villages07 02-02-2008 02:48 PM

Prizmz.... I got my coupon in about Nov 06, so, not sure if they are still doing it. You can always ask them too.

Lighting package...they wanted $600 for this and it no doubt would have been nice; but, we thought that was a bit much and would have locked us in to lighting. Instead we bought a set of LED solar lights to accent the flagstone walkway and other plants. We can move them around as needed and only cost $60.

By the way, I had incandescant type solar lights up north...the light would rarely last more than a couple of hours in the winter; these new LED type solar lights last all night long...they are still on when I go to get the paper in the morning (in the dark, of course). What a difference.

MSNPA 02-05-2008 02:53 PM

This is so nerve wracking, We are also in the process of getting estimates from landscapers (Citrus Palms, Terrascapes and Simplicity). They will all be visiting our home this week. I know it will be hard to make a decision. The right landscaping can make or break the look of your home. I'm keeping our fingers crossed we make the right choice!

Barefoot 02-05-2008 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSNPA
This is so nerve wracking, We are also in the process of getting estimates from landscapers (Citrus Palms, Terrascapes and Simplicity). They will all be visiting our home this week. I know it will be hard to make a decision. The right landscaping can make or break the look of your home. I'm keeping our fingers crossed we make the right choice!

MSNPA - Please keep us updated on your estimates. I agree that the right landscaping can make a significant difference (as shown in Golf Nut's pictures). As long as they're reputable companies (recommended by someone you know), I think they all do a good job. My worry would be they get half finished and go out of business. Like my lawn mowing guy. I sure have learned not to pay in advance!!!

I ask them for the address of a home nearby and do a drive by.

So far I've contacted three companies for estimates .. all recommended by friends. Companies are Terrascape, Fairfield Farms (Dani is great) and A & C Exteriors. I need some landscaping and palm trees plus tons and tons of river rock! Not sure if I'm contacting the right people for a good price on doing river rock.

If we continue to share our experiences, it will benefit us all. One reason TOTV is such a great resource!! :bigthumbsup: