Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   TOTV Website Support and Testing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/totv-website-support-testing-74/)
-   -   Blocking Items for Sale (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/totv-website-support-testing-74/blocking-items-sale-116543/)

blueash 06-02-2014 09:25 AM

Blocking Items for Sale

When I click on New Posts I see up to several pages of recent material. This morning there were 80 threads and 31 of them were in the Items for Sale Forum. This seems about the usual ratio. Mr. Moderator, others, is there a way to not have the Items for Sale forum material included when I click on New Posts? Yes it is a small inconvenience to just skip them and yes I understand that when I click on page 2 then 3 etc. that generates more opportunity to have advertising exposure. I am just asking

rdhdleo 06-02-2014 09:30 AM

New Posts should have ALL new posts included which means for sale itms. Personally I don't see what the big deal is you are not obligated to open and read them. Just curious as to why this is an issue?

mulligan 06-02-2014 11:30 AM

May or may not be an issue, but I agree that we should be able to block the for sale posts.

George1938 06-02-2014 11:45 AM

Agree! We can go to the for sale site if we want to buy something! Annoying ! If you find out how to block, please share

Barefoot 06-02-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueash (Post 886648)
When I click on New Posts I see up to several pages of recent material. This morning there were 80 threads and 31 of them were in the Items for Sale Forum. This seems about the usual ratio. Mr. Moderator, others, is there a way to not have the Items for Sale forum material included when I click on New Posts? Yes it is a small inconvenience to just skip them and yes I understand that when I click on page 2 then 3 etc. that generates more opportunity to have advertising exposure. I am just asking

I agree. Even if a minimum dollar amount were established, maybe $50, that would help.

But of course we must keep in mind that this site is wonderful.
And it's FREE for us to use.
If the Admins choose to allow any ad, it's still a great site!

njbchbum 06-02-2014 12:59 PM

I love the Items for Sale posts as they appear. Even though back in my home roost I have been able to make some great purchases without being at my snowbird nest! Not at all inconvenient for me! :)

Medtrans 06-02-2014 01:30 PM

Seems to me it is easier to just check new posts and not have to look in multiple places if you are wanting to buy something and want to read new posts. Just looking in one spot, new posts, is easier. Just don't posts that you're not interested in. I don't open every post, just what interests me. How hard is that?

TOTV Team 06-02-2014 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medtrans (Post 886760)
Seems to me it is easier to just check new posts and not have to look in multiple places if you are wanting to buy something and want to read new posts. Just looking in one spot, new posts, is easier. Just don't posts that you're not interested in. I don't open every post, just what interests me. How hard is that?

You are correct that the items for sale are clearly marked and if you are not interested in those you can go past them and not open them.

That being said we are working on a new classified program to launch soon.

Regards

Admin

CFrance 06-02-2014 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admin (Post 886865)
You are correct that the items for sale are clearly marked and if you are not interested in those you can go past them and not open them.

That being said we are working on a new classified program to launch soon.

Regards

Admin

I am very glad, because it is kind of starting to look like Craig's List. One time somebody offered a blouse for sale for $2. Ridiculous! Goodwill charges more.

Madelaine Amee 06-02-2014 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 886881)
I am very glad, because it is kind of starting to look like Craig's List. One time somebody offered a blouse for sale for $2. Ridiculous! Goodwill charges more.

It's starting to look like one big ugly yard sale. I was under the impression this was a chat line for anyone to chat about TV, or whatever.

I do like the idea of the classified section, completely separate from the chat line.

Jaggy 06-02-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 886907)
It's starting to look like one big ugly yard sale. I was under the impression this was a chat line for anyone to chat about TV, or whatever.

I do like the idea of the classified section, completely separate from the chat line.

Funny- I was just getting ready to add my comment that it was starting to look like a garage sale and yours popped up..
thanks for reading my mind..
I sorta like the for sale ads, cause I can laugh at what some people want to sell.. really?? Goodwill truck is behind Walmart.. go donate.

Trish Miller 06-02-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee (Post 886907)

It is a chat line, but there is nothing wrong with selling your items on here!!!! I personally like it :)

kittygilchrist 06-02-2014 05:19 PM

Welllll, I agree with ya'll and have heard that admin is checking on the issue. there were 45 sales posts recently by the same poster, who never posted anything but ads. So, there's one hugely offensive poster upsetting the balance of our usual bliss.

CFrance 06-02-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggy (Post 886910)
Funny- I was just getting ready to add my comment that it was starting to look like a garage sale and yours popped up..
thanks for reading my mind..
I sorta like the for sale ads, cause I can laugh at what some people want to sell.. really?? Goodwill truck is behind Walmart.. go donate.

:BigApplause:

ilovetv 06-02-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfrance (Post 886881)
i am very glad, because it is kind of starting to look like craig's list. One time somebody offered a blouse for sale for $2. Ridiculous! Goodwill charges more.

exactly!!