Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Help Please with GPS (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/help-please-gps-11687/)

frannieb 02-04-2008 06:13 PM

Help Please with GPS

Hi, we just bought a new car with a GPS that covers both Canada and the U.S. but I cannot get a listing for The Villages. I would have liked to use it to get to our home...any suggestions. Thanks.

ldj1938 02-04-2008 06:42 PM

Re: Help Please with GPS

The database in your GPS needs updating. Ask your dealer to install the newest database.
DJ :)

frannieb 02-04-2008 06:54 PM

it's brand new

chacam 02-04-2008 07:11 PM

Mine only recognizes "Lady Lake". It has all the Villages streets except the ones South of Odell.

jjdees 02-04-2008 07:52 PM

Frannie, talk to the dealer. There should be an update they can provide for yours. The GPS installed on your new car came off a parts shelf somewhere and could be several updates behind.

Talk Host 02-04-2008 08:15 PM

One of the problems with GPS built into cars is that they are not current with maps. Some cars can accept updates, some cannot. If a car is not equipped to receive updated maps, the GPS is useless for pinpointing stuff in a very short time.

frannieb 02-04-2008 08:51 PM

Thanks guys!! this is sure a great forum for newbies. It is a Cadillac and I tried Lady Lake with no luck so I have called the dealer and asked him to see what he can do. I will keep you posted. Thanks again frannieb

frannieb 02-05-2008 08:44 PM

Hi I've tried everything with no luck. I do have the latest OnStar map, Lady Lake comes up but not our street,mapquest has a pilot project with OnStar but it isn't available to the general public so I am SOL!!! I wonder if The Villages is called something else as it is ? not officially a city/town but I don't know. Thanks for the suggestions.

Bill345 02-05-2008 09:11 PM

I have a Garmin Nuvi. Last years maps did not show anything south of 466 in TV. This years update show LSL but not a lot of the new construction. Garmin tells me they are dependent of the state to give them up to date info and some states are very far behind. They did not know about FL specifically.

TV is growing so quickly I have found the state is behind with the info they give the 3rd party map creators. Then that has to be passed to the company that manufactures the GPS.

From my limited experience you will see the streets that are being developed today in the mapping software in about 2 years. Looks like you have discovered on of the very few drawbacks to living in TV.

There is a 2 year old interstate by pass around Raleigh that in not in the map software--at least not all of it yet.

frannieb 02-06-2008 01:45 AM

Well, this is what I did. My GPS screen map moves all over so I located Lady Lake and then kept moving the map until I got to the nearest intersection to our street in TV and saved that. I will use that for my destination and hope it works. Hopefully I can use it it TV same way. Fun and games...LOL :)

Mintjulep 02-09-2008 12:12 AM

As a newbie, I was so looking forward to the street help my car was gonna give me.
But my navigation screen shows me in a LAKE part of the time below 466. Weird looking!!!
And going N on Buena Vista, above 466, it shows me going off into golf courses and other places, even tho it shows Buena Vista on the screen. It just doesn't show that is where I'm at... even tho I am... :dontknow:

Will have to check on that software update... SOON...

Sidney Lanier 02-09-2008 01:33 AM

Just traded our 2004 Prius, which showed nothing in TV south of 466, where we're located, for a 2008 one which does show our street. However, we have to enter 'Lady Lake' as city, not 'The Villages.' Not sure where in TV you're located, but try the various towns around TV, particularly the ones closest to you. Friends of ours in TV have a 2006 that does not show their street. I suggested they program the nearest intersection that IS in there; in their case it was CR-466 (and it needed the hyphen to be recognized!) and CR-100 (if I remember right, where CVS is). The south side of CR-100--Belvedere Blvd.--did not show. GPS systems are fantastic but they do have their limitations (once put us on 10 miles of sandy unpaved road on our way to Jacksonville as we headed north...), and sometimes it's necessary to figure out how to 'talk GPS,' as with having to put the hyphen in.... Good luck--and keep badgering the dealer about an update!