Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Water Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/water-aerobics-neighborhood-pools-117062/)

applesoffh 06-07-2014 07:10 PM

Water Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools?

First of all, a big shout out to the Pool Pals of Virginia Trace for their wonderful philanthropic work!

In case you didn't see Page 1 of Section C in today's SUN, mention was made not only of the terrific acts of kindness performed by the Pool Pals of Virginia Trace, but also that a group of about 60 people do an aerobics class in the Virginia Trace neighborhood pool 5 days a week.

Frankly, I wasn't aware that classes of any type were permitted in the neighborhood pools. It's my understanding that the sports pools serve that function. I know that there is a similar group using the Charlotte pool every morning from 8 to 9:30am and, while I don't believe there are 60 people in that particular group, others who like to use the pool early in the day find it "uncomfortable" to be in the pool with everyone else using arm and leg weights appropriate for pool use, and then holding on to the edge of the pool to do other exercises.

My question, then, is this...can organized groups of people, while not officially a "class", use the neighborhood pools for aerobics workouts? It wouldn't seem so, as the Thursday Recreation Guide lays out pretty specifically what each type of pool is for. Is there an answer to this question anywhere?

DonH57 06-07-2014 07:49 PM

I would think the recreation department would give you the correct answer. To my knowledge the only pools to conduct organized water exercises would be in the sports pools. Just my guess.

applesoffh 06-07-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonH57 (Post 889529)
I would think the recreation department would give you the correct answer. To my knowledge the only pools to conduct organized water exercises would be in the sports pools. Just my guess.

Well, you WOULD think that the recreation department would be on top of this, wouldn't you? Unfortunately, they seem to be totally unconcerned (at Captiva Rec Center, at least).

CFrance 06-07-2014 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by applesoffh (Post 889535)
Well, you WOULD think that the recreation department would be on top of this, wouldn't you? Unfortunately, they seem to be totally unconcerned (at Captiva Rec Center, at least).

If you are really inconvenienced by it, don't just go to the rec center. Go to the TV rec director.

Sable99 06-08-2014 09:29 AM

Mom and I were just in TV and I saw the aerobics class when I was on my morning walk. They looked like they were having a lot of fun. I would have joined the class but it is a little crazy when I only have two weeks in TV.

I think I read somewhere that if you want to lead a Rec Center class that it requires a two year time commitment. Maybe, that is why they use the Neighborhood Pool.

Even though the Charlotte Pool is practically in my backyard, I would go to the Sanibel Pool if I didn't want to partake in the class.

Ruthtomnorma3 06-08-2014 02:54 PM

Ok Villagers....the answer is in Friday's Daily Sun
Section D Lifestyles.....page 5 ..last three paragraphs ...... Well written...
We as adults are given the opportunity to realize the wrong...
What happens after a time of this unauthorized activity......???

Read the whole article which has interesting information ......

applesoffh 06-08-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthtomnorma3 (Post 889843)
Ok Villagers....the answer is in Friday's Daily Sun
Section D Lifestyles.....page 5 ..last three paragraphs ...... Well written...
We as adults are given the opportunity to realize the wrong...
What happens after a time of this unauthorized activity......???

Read the whole article which has interesting information ......

Sorry, I no longer have Friday's paper. I'll see if I can get it online. In the meantime, would you please be so kind as to paraphrase the paragraphs of which you wrote? Thanks, and much appreciated!

CFrance 06-08-2014 04:02 PM

Yes, please paraphrase for those of us who don't take the Sun or no longer have it.

Ruthtomnorma3 06-08-2014 10:07 PM

TOMORROW'S PROJECT..
Unless another blogger gets to it first ...LOL
There are some folks more keen on the mechanics of gathering /transferring information than me.
I want to give the "real McCory" news.. This is a "sensitive" forum to some folks ....
Can't paraphrase ....hold on ...until ...as Paul Harvey would say...until tomorrow ...GOOD DAY!

VT2TV 06-08-2014 10:25 PM

I actually do not use the pools. but I would think that since they are neighborhood pools, any kind of organized activity would prevent the "neighborhood" from using it. That's what the sports pools are for. I also don't think it is fair when certain people act like they "own" the pool, and make it difficult for others to use the pools.

Uptown Girl 06-09-2014 05:55 AM

It says holding classes or sports activities takes away from the intention for the neighborhood pools.
It says while there is no current provision or policy to prohibit residents from doing this, residents are encouraged to move their sessions to the sport pools.

The last sentence- "We hope people are self- policing and self- enforcing." (Pam Henry- recreation manager for resident lifestyles)

I can foresee a few problems with this - and changes in policy down the road.

P.S. I attend a water aerobics class at Laurel Manor sports pool and love it.

graciegirl 06-09-2014 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uptown Girl (Post 890106)
It says holding classes or sports activities takes away from the intention for the neighborhood pools.
It says while there is no current provision or policy to prohibit residents from doing this, residents are encouraged to move their sessions to the sport pools.

The last sentence- "We hope people are self- policing and self- enforcing." (Pam Henry- recreation manager for resident lifestyles)

I can foresee a few problems with this - and changes in policy down the road.

P.S. I attend a water aerobics class at Laurel Manor sports pool and love it.

I think you are spot on. Has the recreation director changed?

I suggest that we ask about this policy...if a lot of us ask, that might make an impression.

Recreation Administration
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-674-1800
Fax: 352-674-1805
Email Recreation

Room Reservations
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-674-1800
Fax: 352-674-1815

Business Hours:
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., EST
Monday – Friday

baustgen 06-09-2014 06:43 AM

Gimme a break! A group of villagers want to get together and do water exercises on their own is one of the benefits of living in TV. New friends, healthy exercise under attack. Ridiculous. If you are so fussy you can't stand observing it, move to another pool. There is one 5 minutes away.

Uptown Girl 06-09-2014 06:43 AM

[QUOTE=graciegirl;890108]
Has the recreation director changed?

I don't know, Gracie- according to this article, Pam Henry is recreational manager. Maybe someone else is the overall Director?

graciegirl 06-09-2014 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baustgen (Post 890119)
Gimme a break! A group of villagers want to get together and do water exercises on their own is one of the benefits of living in TV. New friends, healthy exercise under attack. Ridiculous. If you are so fussy you can't stand observing it, move to another pool. There is one 5 minutes away.

I don't think it is bad...it just keeps the pool from being used by others who want to swim or walk or wade or just stand there. The sports pools offer water aerobic classes. I think it would be intimidating to people at neighborhood pools, like saving seats. You are right, people can go to the next pool.

ANd to me that is a form of bullying.