Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Chinese Food (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/chinese-food-11708/)

bogart 02-06-2008 12:55 AM

Chinese Food

Any good recommendations for Chinese food in The Villages?

Carry out is fine.

Thanks

Avista 02-06-2008 01:16 AM

Re: Chinese Food

We like China Gourmet in Colony Plaza (466A). Telephone 352-750-4965

We go there often for their $5 lunches.

Muncle 02-06-2008 01:23 AM

There are a ton of them. I like the China Star/Gourmet/?? in Colony Plaza on 466A. Good food, fast, cheap. Nice people. They have a lot of specials at really good prices. The lunchtime specials are dirt cheap.

For a change, there's Panda Express in front of Home Depot on 27/441. It's extremely fast and very reasonable. If you like Orange Chicken, it's great. For $5.65, you get two entrees (big ladlefuls(?)) and a side. There are normally about 6 or 8 entrees from which to choose, always including Orange Chicken. I had firecracker chicken breast recently and it was quite tasty.

The Star/Gourmet is a small place with about 6 tables. Most food is to go. Panda is a much larger place, a lot of chrome and plastic. Drive-thru service. Lots of table room available.

Avista 02-06-2008 02:50 PM

China Gourmet, Colony Plaza
http://www.chinagourmet.us

nONIE 02-06-2008 02:56 PM

Avista,

Thankyou so much for the Chinese Resteraunt recommendation. Was looking for a good one. This is good to know. Is this eat in and take out?

villages07 02-06-2008 03:31 PM

Nonie,

They have a small eat in area and also do takeout. I agree with Avista and Mr Muncle that this new China Gourmet is tasty and very reasonable. We get one combo dinner for $7 and it's more than enough for both of us.

rdhdleo 02-20-2008 11:45 AM

China Gourmet is acceptable at best. The best in this area anyway. But coming from Chicago and growing up with the best Chinese food the stuff they pass off here as Chinese makes me laugh. So far no place seems to have a grasp on using Chinese vegetable in their dishes. There is a huge lack of water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts snow pea pods etc. Some of the Chinese food out here is absolutely disgusting! Like what's up with just peas and carrots in fried rice?
But that said if I do venture out for some China Gourmet on 466A comes sort of close. nice clean place and so far ok. I hear Orlando has some great Chinese restaurants but that's so far.

chuckinca 03-03-2008 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdhdleo
China Gourmet is acceptable at best. The best in this area anyway. But coming from Chicago and growing up with the best Chinese food the stuff they pass off here as Chinese makes me laugh. So far no place seems to have a grasp on using Chinese vegetable in their dishes. There is a huge lack of water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts snow pea pods etc. Some of the Chinese food out here is absolutely disgusting! Like what's up with just peas and carrots in fried rice?
But that said if I do venture out for some China Gourmet on 466A comes sort of close. nice clean place and so far ok. I hear Orlando has some great Chinese restaurants but that's so far.

I grew up in Chi town and the best Chinese was Chop Suey - - -

Best "Oriental food" in Norcal is Japanese!

Muncle 03-03-2008 05:25 AM

The best real Chinese food I've ever experienced was in a little bistro outside the gates of Machu Picchu. The owner/cook was the former personal chef of Chiang Kai-shek and fixed a mean Xiaolóngbāo and Mapo Doufu. As we discussed world event over a postprandial brandy, he would often bemoan the lack of decent snow peas and yak in Peru.

And of course, there's a little place in Dubuque that makes a mean Sweet & Sour Shrimp.

chuckinca 03-03-2008 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muncle
The best real Chinese food I've ever experienced was in a little bistro outside the gates of Machu Picchu. The owner/cook was the former personal chef of Chiang Kai-shek and fixed a mean Xiaolóngbāo and Mapo Doufu. As we discussed world event over a postprandial brandy, he would often bemoan the lack of decent snow peas and yak in Peru.

And of course, there's a little place in Dubuque that makes a mean Sweet & Sour Shrimp.

Chinese in Machu Picchu - do they have take out?

Muncle 03-03-2008 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca

Chinese in Machu Picchu - do they have take out?

Yeah, and they deliver too. :bigthumbsup: They use Take-Out Taxi. The delivery charge isn't much, but the guy expects a helluva tip.

redwitch 03-03-2008 02:32 PM

Anyone know of a Hunan restaurant between here, Orlando or Ocala. Don't want it often, but every so often get a serious craving to burn my sinuses out, break into a good sweat and stuff myself on really good Chinese.

Also, any dim sum restaurants?

Cinlite 05-04-2008 07:27 PM

I would agree that the China Gourmet on 466A is the best in the area. My husband and I enjoy it. We have tried the new one on 466 in the Buffalo Ridge area and it was not good at all. It was a little pricey and the quality just wasn't there. We will be driving to 466A even though it is a little further of a drive.

Cinco 05-04-2008 10:15 PM

The best Chinese food we've found is a little place in Eustis called China Lane. I form my first opinion of a Chinese restaurant by the quality of the hot & sour soup, and there's is some of the best I've had. They have a buffet on Friday and Saturday evenings, also on Sunday afternoon. Very reasonably priced. We've never been disappointed there, but it's a bit of a road trip.

goodayPeople 08-19-2009 10:52 AM

CHENGS..in front of the new walmart on 466