Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   California delegates (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/california-delegates-11729/)

Guest 02-07-2008 01:00 AM

California delegates

Doesn't seem fair to be a so called leader with one state putting them there....does it?

371 delegates (or 317?) Without that one state let's see now what would the Billary teams delegate count be???

BTK

Guest 02-07-2008 02:00 AM

Re: California delegates

Dems have 441 delegates in California.

Guest 02-07-2008 02:45 AM

Billary doesn't get all of them. Cal's delegates are apportioned, I believe by congressional district --- The Jesse Jackson rule --- so Obama will get a lot of them.

Guest 02-07-2008 03:34 AM

From something called the California Progress Report:

"While the statewide vote will provide a candidate with “momentum” and a victory, what is lost with this focus is that we are electing delegates to the Democratic National Convention—and that the bulk of the action here takes place locally, in each of our state’s 53 Congressional Districts. 241 of California’s 441 delegates are elected based on the share of the vote the candidates for President receive in those districts. Only 81 delegates are elected “at-large” and go to the winner of the statewide vote.

"The remaining 119 delegates are selected (not elected). These include 66 “super delegates” (Members of Congress, Democratic National Committee (DNC) Members, and a former DNC Chair). Also 48 Pledged Party Leaders / Elected Officials (PLEOs) committed to candidates who receive at least 15% of the statewide vote and apportioned by their share of the vote. Another 5 are also appointed who are “unpledged” to any candidate."

Billary gets the 81 winner's share and her portion of the 241 based on % vote. The 66 super delegates will go to the highest bidder and god knows how the other 53 work.

Guest 02-12-2008 05:08 PM

Listen to the man talk and you will be sold.

Guest 02-12-2008 05:49 PM

"I want change!" "Agent of change!" "I'm not just running on the promise of change... I'm running on 35 years of change."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sick of "change." Has there ever been an election when the party out of office didn't want "change"? Even the party in power wants change. They want more seats, more votes, more power. Gandhi was an agent of change in India, but Hitler was also an agent of change for Germany. Marin Luther King was an agent of change for America, but so was George Lincoln Rockwell. Albert Schweitzer wanted to bring change, but so did Attila and Genghis Khan. Democrats want change because they want to take more of my money and create more programs it give it to other people. Republicans (in theory) want change because they want me to keep more of my money and reduce government programs.

Everybody wants change, but "change" means nothing. Details. We need details.

Guest 02-12-2008 06:27 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest
"I want change!" "Agent of change!" "I'm not just running on the promise of change... I'm running on 35 years of change."

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am sick of "change." Has there ever been an election when the party out of office didn't want "change"? Even the party in power wants change. They want more seats, more votes, more power. Gandhi was an agent of change in India, but Hitler was also an agent of change for Germany. Marin Luther King was an agent of change for America, but so was George Lincoln Rockwell. Albert Schweitzer wanted to bring change, but so did Attila and Genghis Khan. Democrats want change because they want to take more of my money and create more programs it give it to other people. Republicans (in theory) want change because they want me to keep more of my money and reduce government programs.

Everybody wants change, but "change" means nothing. Details. We need details.

Had no idea who George Lincoln Rockwell was before I "Googled" him.

They could focus on what they will do with the Iraqi war, health care, immigration, taxes, etc. How often do they keep these platforms would be my question? Buyer beware should apply very strongly to politicians.

President George W. Bush talks against activist judges and the like and then nominates his long time personal lawyer to the US Supreme Court. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Miers That really makes you take a second look at campaign promises.

Guest 02-12-2008 08:18 PM

OSHUNLUVA:
I agree with you . the poor people that are going to vote because someone can give a great speech.. Yes we all want change but what do they have to offer ??
:dontknow: :dontknow:

Guest 02-12-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest
Listen to the man talk and you will be sold.

You can also check his positions on major issues even though I doubt if this is up to the minute. http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Barack_Obama.htm

Guest 02-12-2008 09:52 PM

I agree, you really should listen to him.* And if you listen closely you should be sold on someone else.
1.* "I will provide health care for everyone"
2.* "I will provide a tax cut for middle Americans and seniors"
3.* "I will provide jobs"

Well any economics I studied when you "provide" you pay.* And guess who will pay.* He is spending your and your children's money.* Health care for all will cost you who is paying now, a significant amount more to cover those who are not paying now.* Tax cuts have to have money collected from someplace to cover costs.* You either collect it or you print it.* If you print it then you will pay for it through inflation.* He wants to "give" you things, however you will pay for them.* Somehow someway.* If you live in TV you are somewhat well off by most standards so you will be one of those who pay.* So if those are things you really want and are willing to pay for, so be it.*

Guest 02-12-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Posted by Guest
OSHUNLUVA:
I agree with you . the poor people that are going to vote because someone can give a great speech.. Yes we all want change but what do they have to offer ??
:dontknow: :dontknow:

Okay, what change do you want? You don't like the war? You want to pull all the military out today or maybe you want to double the forces and blockade Iran? All changes.

You want to change education, hopefully to improve it? Do you want to install a voucher program or maybe do you want to double the funding now being given to public schools? Both changes.

Change health care? Do you want universal health care that the government (tax payers) finances, do you want mandatory health insurance, do you want to cap doctor and hospital charges, do you want to cap lawsuits, do you want to control drug prices? All changes.

Change the electoral process? Do you want to eliminate the electoral college, do you want to allow felons to vote, do you want to eliminate the primary and caucus system, do you want to eliminate party registration, do you want voter id programs, do you want to eliminate all corporate political contributions, or union contributions, do you want to allow anyone to donate any amount they want as long as all such transactions are publicized? All changes.

Too much crime. Wanna change? Do you want stiffer mandatory sentences with no parole, do you want more police on the streets, do you want to install cameras in public, do you want no-knock warrants, do you want parents held responsible for the crimes of their children, do you want adolescents tried as adults, do you want the death penalty actually used, i.e., limit appeals, put a time limit on how soon an execution must be carried out following conviction, do you want to build more prisons? All changes.

Losing your civil liberties? Wanna change? Do you want stricter control of the police, do you want to outlaw traffic and other cameras, do you want to prohibit government agencies from sharing information? Once again, all changes!

I certainly cannot fault any individuals since the media has been propagating this slogan for months on end, but "Yes we all want change" is without doubt the biggest bullsh :edit: t fad since New Coke. It has absolutely no meaning and is nothing more that a mantra spouted by people who are either too damn dumb or too damn lazy to think for themselves.

But then, I could be wrong.