Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Dog Track nearby? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/dog-track-nearby-11751/)

JellyBean22 02-08-2008 11:48 AM

Dog Track nearby?

Could someone please tell me what the closest Dog Racing Track is to The Villages? Thank you.

Donna 02-08-2008 11:53 AM

Re: Dog Track nearby?

Hi Jellybean,

Do you live in TV, or are you moving there in the near future? I have no clue about a dog track but wanted say :welcome:

JellyBean22 02-08-2008 12:11 PM

Thanks Donna for the welcome!
No, I don't live there....my Dad is there renting for 3 months and we're going to visit him in a couple weeks. I'm just trying to find stuff to do while we're there ;)

kathy and al 02-08-2008 12:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that there are only 2 that are within reasonable driving distance and they are:
Daytona Greyhound Track in Daytona Beach-about 50 miles from the Villages
Tampa Greyhound in Tampa-about 80 miles from the Villages
Hope this helps!

redwitch 02-08-2008 12:50 PM

Here's a couple of thread links that give some great ideas of things to do close to TV:

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm...ic,2650.0.html
https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm...ic,3869.0.html

JellyBean22 02-08-2008 12:58 PM

Thanks for the info everyone ;)

nONIE 02-09-2008 02:18 AM

JellyBean,

Do you like dogs? I might get clobbered for this one, but please dont support the dog tracks!! I wont go into it but those sweet docile Greyhounds are not treated very well. Thats all Im saying except there are so many really neat things to do in this area, please check out the Daily Sun for many great activities. Thanks, Nonie

Hyacinth Bucket 02-09-2008 03:10 AM

:agree:with Nonie.

We have friends who have rescued dogs who used to be race dogs. It took them two to three years to adjust to living in a home and not be afraid of them.

Just my thoughts.

HB

Barefoot 02-09-2008 04:31 AM

:agree:

I agree with Nonie and Hyacinth. These poor dogs spend their lives in crates when they're not being raced. When they stop winning, for the most part, they are put down. My friend rescued a greyhound, all its toes had been broken.

Please, try to find other activites rather than supporting this cruelty. lovehorse

KathieI 02-09-2008 05:44 AM

Whew!! I couldn't agree with the above posts more. :agree: :agree:

We have people in our neighborhood who rescue these dogs before they are put down. It is truly a very sad situation. They are treated very cruelly and I feel so sorry for them.

However, I must admit I do go to the horse races occasionally, but don't like the way horses are treated either.

Kathie :redface:

Sidney Lanier 02-09-2008 09:18 PM

Thank you, Nonie, for being the first to make a point of the cruelty suffered by greyhounds who are forced to race for the first three or so years of their lives, traumatized by terrible conditions, and then put down or rescued by incredibly patient dog lovers who do indeed spend years nursing and nurturing these sweet dogs to a reasonably healthy life. And thanks too to Hyacinth, Barefoot, and Kathie for reiterating this important point. But one must make one's own choices regarding entertainment....

chuckinca 02-10-2008 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathieI
Whew!! I couldn't agree with the above posts more. :agree: :agree:

We have people in our neighborhood who rescue these dogs before they are put down. It is truly a very sad situation. They are treated very cruelly and I feel so sorry for them.

However, I must admit I do go to the horse races occasionally, but don't like the way horses are treated either.

Kathie :redface:

Let's see - no veal, no dog racing, bet you hug trees too - - - - u guys are prime recruits for the Sierra Club in California !

Barefoot 02-10-2008 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca
Let's see - no veal, no dog racing, bet you hug trees too - - - - u guys are prime recruits for the Sierra Club in California !

Chuck, I assume that is meant as a loving compliment? lovehorse

chuckinca 02-10-2008 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot at last
Chuck, I assume that is meant as a loving compliment? lovehorse

Yes - we all need to lighten up

nONIE 02-10-2008 04:41 AM

Its very hard to lighten up Chuck when it comes to animal cruelty. They cannot speak for themselves so someone has to!

Come to think of it, I have hugged a few trees in my lifetime!