Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Spanish springs or Sumpter landing (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/spanish-springs-sumpter-landing-11752/)

bsliny 02-08-2008 01:11 PM

Spanish springs or Sumpter landing

SS or SL which one do you like better than the other and why

Taltarzac 02-08-2008 01:23 PM

Re: Spanish springs or Sumter landing

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSLINY
SS or SL which one do you like better than the other and why

I like walking by the lake at Sumter Landing but Spanish Springs has the Church on the Square as an attraction. The stadium seating at Old Mill Playhouse is also more attractive for me as a movie viewing feature than the flat floors at the Rialto. Each square seems to have some pluses and minuses.

Feeding the ducks at the lake near Spanish Springs Square is an option while you worry about alligators being attracted if you feed wildlife at Lake Sumter Landing. Not that I have ever seen an alligator in that lake.

SteveFromNY 02-08-2008 02:40 PM

Re: Spanish springs or Sumpter landing

Tal - I've seen three alligators in that lake. One was in the "canal" right by the train station.

Both squares have appeal, and there will be times I'll visit them both. I suspect Brownwood will also be worth visiting.

Taltarzac 02-08-2008 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveFromNY
Tal - I've seen three alligators in that lake. One was in the "canal" right by the train station.

Both squares have appeal, and there will be times I'll visit them both. I suspect Brownwood will also be worth visiting.

I am usually not looking very hard for the alligators. They do seem to have various "Do Not Feed the Alligators" signs posted though.

Any construction on Brownwood yet? I have not been down to 466A since 2005. I thought it was 466 when I was new to TV and driving up 301.

redwitch 02-08-2008 02:49 PM

I like them both equally. Spanish Springs is closer, so that's a good start for me. I like Katie Belle's breakfast/brunch so that's another plus for Spanish Springs. I can nearly always find a place to park my rear after wandering for awhile (albeit not necessarily in a chair in the square itself). Being from California, the decor of Spanish Springs is closer to what I'm used to seeing. Another plus.

For produce, I like Sweet Bay. Since I'm down there already, I'll happily wander around Lake Sumter. I love looking at the water and listening to the music. A plus for Sumter. Seeing the "Key West" decor is fun and new to me. Another plus. If I can't find a seat at the square, I can always wander down to the docks and find a way to relax there.

Both have friendly crowds, fun shops although I prefer Sumter shops a bit more than SS stores. My deciding factor of which Square I'll go to is usually the music.

dadspet 02-08-2008 03:35 PM

Deciding factor is the music in the Square but other then that

Spanish Springs has Katie Belles close so you can stop by there easily after the Sq or if its raining.

Sumter Landing is larger and a lot better for dancing (surface is smoother without the slopes and drains) I think the restaurants at Sumter are more varied and interesting.

jadebox 02-08-2008 07:33 PM

I like Spanish Springs best but that is because it was the only town here when we bought and it is comfortable for us. It feels like home and has Katie Belles! Lake Sumter Landing is beautiful and I like to visit there once in awhile but always go to Spanish Springs for the special activities.

another Linda 02-08-2008 08:04 PM

We like both town centers but at night keep ending up at Spanish Springs. While we love to dance, we also love to people watch and at Spanish Springs there seem to be more chairs or other places to sit. Does Sumter landing have stacks of chairs like SS? Are you supposed to bring your own as I've seen many people do?

DickY 02-08-2008 08:14 PM

Sumter has stacks of chairs also.

golfnut 02-08-2008 08:43 PM

We enjoy both squares and often frequent both of them on the same night. I think they both have plenty of chairs but we always bring our own so we don't have to worry wether there are any left when we get there.

renielarson 02-08-2008 10:30 PM

We enjoy both squares but tend to end up at LSL regardless of music. It's closer to home and an easy golf cart drive...plus, all the way on paths. I don't mind driving the cart to SS during the day but it's a little far at night since much of the drive is on the road and not paths. Guess we could take the car but when we're in TV I want to use the cart as much as possible.

Which square do I prefer? LSL is my choice now but only because it's the closest and the one we visit most often. We've become very comfortable there. However, I remember our early visits to TV and saying how I preferred SS's atmosphere and ambiance. If we had a home closer to SS, then I'm sure I'd say SS was my choice.

Honestly...they are both great!

MSNPA 02-08-2008 11:01 PM

I like people watching at Spanish Springs, but I think Lake Sumter Landing has a better selection of restaurants.

MMC24 02-09-2008 02:44 AM

Hard decision. But I think SS because when we first moved here, LSL was still under construction so we became very familiar with that square, also we go to many of the performance at the Church On the Square so we go to SS more often.

chelsea24 02-09-2008 03:24 AM

I agree to most others. I love both of them for different reasons. Spanish Springs gives me a New Orleans feeling that I adore. And since I'm crazy about Key West, Lake Sumter Landing is fabulous. I think LSL has a slight edge for me because I love the water and also it's closer to where we bought our home, so it was the first we were introduced to. But like Golfnut, sometimes we go to both on the same night. I heard that Brownwood had a more western theme and, although I'm not a big western or country fan, I'm sure it will be equally as beautiful. They seem to do things right down here. Actually, I'll be right in the middle of Lake Sumter and Brownwood, so I'm looking forward to it. :bigthumbsup:

dadspet 02-09-2008 05:22 AM

sure hope they have Buffalo riding at Brownwood when it opens. This will give it a leg up on the other 2 squares and help support lthe local doctors and hospital - the restaurants get enough business.