Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Chinch bugs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/chinch-bugs-11758/)

LovinItAtTheVillages 02-08-2008 08:14 PM

Chinch bugs

>:( Wondering if anyone knows what TYPE of grass they plant in most of the new homes in The Villages

I need a new lawn...and live on the older side...where mostly everyone has St Augustine..
My Uncle told me that chinch bugs dont eat Zoysia and that he heard it is the type The Villages is using now...on the other side

My question.....anyone out there know? is Zoysia the kind that the new homes have? pr Floratam? or St Augustine?

gfmucci 02-08-2008 10:47 PM

Re: Chinch bugs

...or do they install St. Augustine in the Ranches, and Zoysia in the more upscale models?

784caroline 02-08-2008 10:49 PM

Designer south of 466 and we have Zoysia

villages07 02-09-2008 12:16 AM

I believe all new houses built since at least about early 2006 are empire zoysia...supposed to be more drought tolerant and not affected by chinch bugs. Doesn't seem to stay as green for as long as the St Augustine does. Also, it is a softer grass and easier to walk on than St A which is very course/sharp on the feet.

Villages Kahuna 02-09-2008 12:57 AM

Empire Zoysia Is Used South Of CR 466

Our builder explained that research by TV agronomists indicated that this variety of zoysia is more drought and disease resistant and softer to walk on. I can add that it can be cut very short and makes for a much more attractive lawn than the St. Augustine or the version of zoysia used in older areas in TV. It's easy to spot the newer Empire variety when just driving around. I was a "Kentucky blue grass fan" up north, but I'm very happy with Empire Zoysia here in TV.

chelsea24 02-09-2008 04:16 AM

We just purchased a couple of months ago and we have Zoysia. :bigthumbsup:

captain1202 02-09-2008 10:29 AM

Kahuna,
Any specific areas that you can point to that are Zoysia? I've been researching the St. Aug. as ours needs a little help at the moment and I find that among other things it is a water ND fertilizer hog.
Not a good thing in an area of dwindling water resources. I see also where some areas are banning its installation for that reason.
I'm also a Kentucky Blue fan and would like to see a "real" lawn instead of overgrown crabgrass which is what St Aug looks like IMHO.
Just researching in case we need to replace existing.

redwitch 02-09-2008 11:21 AM

No question that Florida grass in general is PLUG-UGLY! The only plus I've found is that I don't care what happens to it. Dried and dead looks just as bad as the green stuff. Okay, another thing I miss -- California lawns. 1rnfl

punkpup 02-09-2008 11:42 AM

I'm with Red on the lawn issue! There is nothing more beautiful than California turf or even Dichondra which grows in Southern California.

Florida lawns grass is UGLY but I agree about the Zoysia grass. It is disease and drought resistant. I planted some many years ago in an existing lawn here in Boston that was problematic..... sun, shade, raggedy old existing lawn. I purchased the grass in plugs which had to be hand planted. The stuff is amazing!! I followed the directions and it grew strong and hardy. More importantly because it is rhizomatous it filled in existing bald spots and over time it took over the old lawn.

LovinItAtTheVillages 02-09-2008 11:37 PM

:bigthumbsup:

Thanks everyone for your input
I am having old lawn dug out Tuesday and the Zoysia will be delivered and layed down a few days later
WooHOO...cant wait !!!

Was so nice to be able to come here and ask for info...and know Id get some honest answers!

captain1202 02-10-2008 09:15 AM

Lovin...approx what is the cost to replace with Zoysia?

nitehawk 02-10-2008 04:24 PM

If you replace your lawn with zoysia and your neighbor has st. augustine will they co-exist

Time for Tee 02-11-2008 03:34 AM

LOVIN --Where are you purchasing the Z grass? Are they also going to remove the old grass and install the new? We are about to cover with ground cover or rock or concrete because of the grass issue. Looks terrible all the time. What to do????? :bow:

LovinItAtTheVillages 02-11-2008 05:34 AM

Zoysia is $225 a pallet installed (400 sq ft)
and I hired a different company to dig out old lawn..

Yes thats ok if neighbors have St Augustine
My uncles is fine and his neighbors have St Augustine

get some estimates..for us it isnt bad because we have a small front yard and thats all we will do this yr is the front..

If I could sell my house and move to a Villa with no lawn I would in a heartbeat..but with market the way it is ...cant sell now unless I want to lose money!

LovinItAtTheVillages 02-19-2008 11:27 PM

;D The Zoysia lawn came out great
and cost me under $1000 total for the front and one side
heres a pic of it
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t...tlawnafter.jpg