Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Feminine Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/feminine-forum-111/)
-   -   Assault at Bridgeport gate (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/feminine-forum-111/assault-bridgeport-gate-11809/)

samhass 02-11-2008 03:41 PM

Assault at Bridgeport gate

I PM'd a member about an assault that happened outside our gate. I did not mention it online but since it was in the Sun, I would like to discuss it.
A neighbor was coming home and approached the gate to our village. As she went to enter, she was hit by a golf cart. When she got out of her car, she was assaulted by the golf cart driver. I understand he punched her twice in the face. The police were called and he was arrested. This man is a Village resident. I am shocked at this entire incident. Reports are the man was drunk. This gate is the one @ Bridgeport Lake Sumter.

villages07 02-11-2008 04:04 PM

Re: Assault

Sam,

I saw that article in the paper....this guy deserves serious punishment and should profusely apologize to the victim. I wish he would also write an open letter in the paper extolling the dangers of operating a golf cart while impaired. As you know, that Bridgeport gate is very dangerous where it crosses the golf cart path. The golf cart drivers really need to take more caution and yield the right of way to autos. I hope the victim did not sustain any major injuries....I also hope that other Villagers came to her aid when the incident occurred. I'd like to think that the perpetrator (can't call him a gentleman) was an isolated case of this type of violent behavior.

I also noticed an obit in the Sun the other day where a 59 yr old Villages resident lost her life as a result of a golf cart accident. That's about 4 or 5 golf cart fatalities I can recall in the past year or so. These are not toys....they should be operated with caution and safety in mind.

TVQueen 02-11-2008 04:26 PM

Re: Assault at Bridgeport gate

TV is not Nirvana. These things will happen and probably do more than we hear about. The only thing we can do is to watch out for one another and try to help where we can. Not everybody believes in love they neighbor as thyself.

samhass 02-11-2008 04:38 PM

This guy should be run out of TV. It is inexcusable to hit a woman. Another neighbor was behind her and witnessed the incident. I was told her rammed her car on purpose. I doubt this is the first time for this type of behavior from this jerk. I saw his name in today's paper again in the police log.
What if he had kept on punching her? What if no one else had been around?

Boomer 02-11-2008 04:47 PM

-just a little comment on human nature in general and then I really will get back to work - really:

Leopards do not change their spots just because they are growing old.

It's a jungle out there, even in TV.

samhass 02-11-2008 04:53 PM

You know Boomer, I think you have to assume (before you start a conflict ) that the person you are opposing may be carrying. This is Florida. What if she had been carrying? At what point could she have thought her life was in danger? This could have been way more tragic.
A Lady Smith versus his fists could have been a no contest.

Hyacinth Bucket 02-11-2008 06:52 PM

Seems to me, that since we have a forum, it would be okay to post this and not wait until it is in the paper or even if it gets in the paper

Is the man still in jail?

I agree that something should be done to him, other than release him immediately after being arrested, if that is what they did. I hope the woman in this case pressed charges - seems to me from what you wrote she can press a couple of different ones.

I do not know FL law - can he be mandated to a treatment center?

HB

l2ridehd 02-11-2008 07:07 PM

Now this will be hearsay, but you folks have tried, convicted and hung this guy based on some media story. He is probably guilty as h**l, but he is still hopefully a US citizen and innocent until pr oven guilty.* Maybe he wasn't drunk, maybe she was, maybe the women hit him first, second and third, maybe it was a domestic battle, maybe, maybe maybe.* And should this go to trial, none of you are eligible for the jury.* Now everyone on here will say, "but he hit a women" and if he did I hope he gets what he deserves.* But right now, today, he is innocent under our legal system.* Unless some of you folks would like to water board him.* I get the feeling you would from these posts and yet you want the terrorists to be exempt.* Just MHO.*

Hyacinth Bucket 02-11-2008 07:23 PM

Good point.

HB

Village Kid 2 02-11-2008 07:31 PM

There are too many variables that make it difficult to determine what will happen. It will take consideration of the totality of the situation. The charges largely depend on the extent of the injuries to the woman and whether the man has a prior record. They could range from misdemeanor battery (no injuries) to Felony assault. The range of punishment can be from probation/anger management up to 1 year max for a misdemeanor and up to 15 years for a felony.

It sounds like a horrible event for everyone involved but it will all play out when all the information is gathered.

VK

TVQueen 02-11-2008 07:32 PM

:agree: I watch Law and Order too. :joke:

redwitch 02-11-2008 07:39 PM

I have a tendency to take reported crimes in newspapers with a huge grain of salt since all of the facts are rarely there. However, that others witnessed the attack puts a lot more credence into the way it happened. Even so, as has been said, all of the facts will come out (even though we will probably never hear them) and, hopefully, justice will be served. (Is this wishy-washy enough?)

The main thing I got out of the newspaper story and the thread here is how we really have to be careful of golf carts -- whether we're in one or not. As was said, they are not toys. I know of one fatality that was caused because the woman was reaching down to get something on the floor of her cart, hit the curb and was thrown out. What a tragic ending to someone's life!

Hyacinth Bucket 02-11-2008 07:42 PM

Thanks VK for the info.

HB

beady 02-12-2008 02:37 AM

I had not seen the article about the incident at the Bridgeport gate. I am sure the full story will be told. However, IMHO, no man should hit a woman not matter how drunk or angry they are.She should definately press charges, on behalf of herself and all of us.

I love my cart and I love cruising along and enjoying the scenery.I can see where people can get caught up in the fun and forget how really vulnerable you are on a cart. I am very cautious at the crossings and when I have to cross a street within the neighborhoods. Apparently ,like drivers of all vehicles not every is a good or cautious driver, so we need to drive our carts as we drive our cars, defensively.

Taltarzac 02-12-2008 02:22 PM

When was the Villages Daily Sun (VDS) article on this assault at Bridgeport? When they do report crimes in TV in the VDS, they seem to do a pretty good job.

I do not remember them going overboard on making Melinda Duckett appear to have dumped the body of her son Trenton Duckett like some media seemed to push on the reader or viewer. We still have no idea what happened to Trenton Duckett because of the media induced suicide of Melinda Duckett. I do think the media played a big part in driving her to kill herself.

Information about the Ducketts legal history-- http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal...t_chrono5.html

I remember the Reno, NV media was all over the place when my then Wooster high school teacher's daughter Michelle M. was murdered on my birthday of February 24 back in 1976. The solution to Michelle's murder came out of the blue in 1979 from Baton Rouge, LA I believe because one of the conspirators was bragging about it to his cellmate.

I too usually take media crime reports with the grain of salt as Redwitch advises. It seems to be more about the ratings that getting at the facts.