Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   invisible fences for dogs (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/invisible-fences-dogs-11845/)

Franz and Pat 02-13-2008 04:22 PM

invisible fences for dogs

Are invisible fences for dogs allowed to be installed on villages homes?

villages07 02-13-2008 05:45 PM

Re: invisible fences for dogs

F&P.....I've seen plenty of them around,so, guess the answer is yes.

Interesting question though.....I've seen some that have left the little flags up for a long time. Not sure if this would be a violation of the deed restrictions.

chuckinca 02-13-2008 08:54 PM

Are these fences approved by the SPCA? What happens if a person walks thru the fence?

nONIE 02-13-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckinca
Are these fences approved by the SPCA? What happens if a person walks thru the fence?

Eating veal from tortured little calves is not approved by the SPCA but people do it anyway.

We will put the collar on you and you can be our human guini pig and let us know! :yikes:

redwitch 02-13-2008 10:08 PM

I'm not a fan of the invisible fences. The dogs either get zapped or have the pleasure of hearing a noise loud enough to hurt. Deterrent training is not my choice for teaching a dog anything.

However, I do understand the need since fences aren't allowed here. I would disconnect the fence as soon as the dog learned the boundaries and only turn it back on if the dog discovered it could now go wherever it wanted.

nONIE 02-13-2008 10:13 PM

We have had the hidden fence for our dogs for more then 15 years. We love it as well as our dogs. It allows them the freedom to run and play freely and gives them great exercise. Also so easy to just open the door and let them out without worrying about them going off of our property.

It is not always feasable to walk them at many times of the day, and we found this to be a wonderful solution to them going outside anytime they desire.

As far as the sound being harmful, it is no more harmful then them listening to the television or radio.

F16 1UB 02-13-2008 10:15 PM

I don't believe that canines can be left to roam in the yard. They are to be on a leash. I'm just referencing Talk Host "Jan". In previous posts he said that they aren't allowed to walk freely. You might be walking past a home and not know that the man eating Yorkshire in a neighbors front yard knows not to leave his yard or be zapped. Rules are rules. Verify them if you wish.

Although not yet in TV we too have an invisible fence for our dog in our northern home. I trained a 9 year old and a 3 month old pup. Actually the pup caught on quicker than the elder. I purchased a Pet Safe Deluxe unit (Lowes) and installed it myself. Matter of fact I just helped my neighbor here in the north install one for his 2 Basset Hounds. Since my initial installation 4 other neighbors have installed the system in their yards too. The dogs catch on quickly. As for being harmful (SPCA approval) I know the Humane Society is a huge supporter for this device. I removed the dogs collar, because I was taking her to the vet, and walked across the street to our mail box, while holding the collar prongs (senior moment), and got zapped. It's no more than static shock similar to sliding your feet on the carpet. Yes it startled me.

Personally I'm very happy with the results and so is Sadie Mae our high strung zero to wide open in 2 seconds or less Irish Setter. Too bad I'm not there because I'd been more than happy to help you install it. Just remember when burying the wire that it needs to be just below the grass. Also remember NOT to airate your yard for fear of damaging the wire. My neighbor did this twice to me prompting me to plant bushes.

Also the only sound that's emitted may be a solid tone when there's a break in the wire or the battery on the dogs collar is weak. That comes from the power unit and not the dogs collar. The only sound from the collar is a very slight ticking noising that speeds up faster as the dog approached the boundry wire.

I hope this helps in your decision. If it's any consolation I put out 1100 ft of wire and the the only reason the unit stopped working was from humans not the animal. And there's no need to remove the fence. There's no visible barrier anyway. Thus the terminolgy Invisible Fence.

F16

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...Friends002.jpg

chuckinca 02-13-2008 11:51 PM

F16:

Thanks for the info

Chuck

BUC 02-14-2008 01:39 PM

Fences should be approved. Place a design on the approval, but allow fences. Please don't come back with the same old discusion about destroying the openness of the Villages or the mismatched fences (remember, approved designs) and not everyone wants or should be forced to buy a C.V. and a reponsce of well find someplace else to live (NO!) I will live in The Village ( GOD willing) I don't understand why a 4' Hedge is OK but not a Small Design approved fence. I'm done venting now.