Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Two Cars (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/two-cars-11886/)

BG 02-15-2008 10:28 PM

Two Cars

From our two visits to TV golf carts seem to be a primary mode of getting around, not to mention golf. We are so used to having two cars I was courious what others have found after moving to TV, two cars or one with a cart. Dosn't look like you could get two cars and a cart into a standard garage. We are debating this now, and your input could swing the vote.

Thanks

DickY 02-15-2008 10:58 PM

Re: Two Cars

There has been some discussion of this in the past. Look at this topic: https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm....html#msg14312

JohnN 02-15-2008 11:23 PM

right , other threads on this, and most seem to downsize to one car with no problem
I've also wondered about a smart car (smartusa.com) which would fit in a 1/2 car garage

golfnut 02-15-2008 11:33 PM

We have 2 carts and 1 car, car rarely sees the light of day in TV.

villages07 02-15-2008 11:53 PM

We have 2 cars and 1 cart and often 'fight' over who gets to take the golf cart. Each car goes over a month between gas fill-ups. After some other stuff gets settled, one of the cars is going and will be replaced with a second golf cart. More a question of what gets used than storage space, though, you are quite right....the standard size garage can barely, if at all, handle 2 cars.

renielarson 02-16-2008 12:03 AM

I agree with little space for parking. I'm driving down to TV this summer. When my hubby flies down he will have to rent a car. When my son and family visit, they will have their car. If friends come over, more cars. How on earth can I prevent parking on the street in front of my home? There just isn't enough room!

MMC24 02-16-2008 12:07 AM

We arrived in TV with 2 cars. Immediately sold one of them and bought 2 Golf Carts. 1 gas & 1 electric. (Perfer the electric one) Use the car 2 or 3 times a week. Use the carts everyday. Can't imagine living in TV without having a Golf Cart.

MSNPA 02-16-2008 12:17 AM

We have two cars and one cart. Eventually we will get rid of one car, but not ready yet.
We can fit the cars, the cart and one motorcycle in the garage, but boy is it a tight fit. I highly recommend getting a house with a golf cart gargage. Even if you downsize number of vehicles the extra space would be advantageous.

Barefoot 02-16-2008 12:28 AM

I have a golf cart (we don't golf) :dontknow: for errands, activites and trips to LSL!
Mr. Wallethead has a motorcycle. So we can each go our separate ways with the breeze blowing through our hair. ;D Altho Mr. W's method is a bit speedier than mine.

We also have an SUV which I use every day (gotta take the dogs to the dog park outside TV!). We also use it on cool nights. The SUV, not the dog park.

Avista 02-16-2008 12:32 PM

We've lived here one year to the day. We sold one car before we moved, in and bought an electric golf cart. Never a regret. Only need one car in The Villages.

swrinfla 02-16-2008 08:29 PM

BG:
I've actually met a couple of couples (both long-time residents) who gave up an automobile altogether! They use a taxi if a real need arises, but usually call upon a friendly neighbor if they need to go "off campus!" When they want to travel away from Florida, they get a ride to one of the Transporation Stations, then take the shuttle to Orlando! They're ecstatic!
It's a drastic move, but can work! Of course, I also know people who need both cars, because they both work (dirty word, that) away from the golf-cart accessible area. One car lives in the driveway; no one complains!
SWR

SteveZ 02-17-2008 03:06 PM

Right now we have an SUV, VW bug, motorcycle and golf cart to cover two houses. At TV (obviously) the golf cart stays there. The SUV is our "commuter" between DC and TV. The VW normally stays in DC and the motorcycle will return for good to FL in October.

Once DC becomes a memory, the SUV and VW bug will morph into a Mini-Cooper which, with the motorcycle and gof cart, shall satisfy our TV transportation needs. Should the circumstance arise that we need a larger vehicle due to company or the like, that's why Enterprise Rent-a-car at LSL exists.

beady 02-17-2008 05:00 PM

Right now we have a windstar van(old) and an electric golf cart. We use the golf cart a lot, car not so much.
Planning on a new more fun car in the late spring, we'll keep the van just for a while. It owes us nothing. Most important it is great for when grandkids come and we need lots of room for car seats, strollers etc.
We have been here 3 months and really haven't fully unpacked. The van has never been garaged because of packing boxes but the golf cart has a nice neat spot in the garage. New car will be garaged.Several of our neighbors do not garage their cars. Do not really know why.

Frangyomory 02-18-2008 06:48 PM

We sold our second car before moving here and our first purchase, even before moving in, was a golf cart. We use both. When Joe is golfing, I use the car and if he is not, I will use the golf cart for the pool, etc. Oh, Joe also has a scooter which he uses from time to time as well. The scooter and golf cart have homes in the garage and the car sits in the driveway.

We have friends with two cars and they always seem to have a problem parking. We have not missed the second car for one second since living here. :bigthumbsup:

The Great Fumar 02-19-2008 10:05 PM

Came here with a town car and a lesabre ........sold the lesabre and bought two golf carts.......but now we find we really don't need two golf carts so gonna sell one......trying to sell fumette on the idea that we need to lose the lincoln and adopt a ragtop but haven't sold the idea as of today ha ha ..........we've found that all you need if ONE CAR , ONE GOLF CART..... and it all works very nicely................