Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   TOTV March Monthly Luncheon (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/totv-march-monthly-luncheon-11887/)

villages07 02-15-2008 11:47 PM

TOTV March Monthly Luncheon

There was some general discussion about the timing of the March luncheon during the Feb event. The consensus seemed to be to keep it at the 3rd Friday of the month, which translates to March 21. This does coincide with Good Friday and "high season" will be winding down, so, we may not see the wonderful turnout that we had in February. For those in town on March 21 and not otherwise busy with family or other special events, come join the TOTV group at Crispers at 3pm.

redwitch 02-16-2008 02:25 AM

Re: TOTV March Monthly Luncheon

Hope y'all have fun. Sorry, but this is one luncheon I won't be making.

REDCART 02-16-2008 01:56 PM

Terrible decision!!! We're promoting the erosion of our culture in America and no body cares. Doesn't respect for traditional religious values count any more?

George

Pete 02-16-2008 02:06 PM

George,

I guess it just all boils down to ones own priorities.

:dontknow:

Taltarzac 02-16-2008 02:07 PM

Have to wait and see what kind of company we have at this time around Easter and I could be in the Tampa Bay area again around then. :dontknow:

redwitch 02-16-2008 02:31 PM

I don't know how many were part of the discussion to have the luncheon on Good Friday. I know I wasn't. Personally, Good Friday is too important to me and my faith to attend a luncheon on that day. I'm with George, the decision is just wrong and very disappointing.

villages07 02-16-2008 02:51 PM

Cmon folks, it's just an announcement for a luncheon...let's not turn it into a political or religious debate....save that for another forum area. People will drink, play golf, and do all sorts of other human things on 3/21....let's not turn the TOTV luncheon into a good vs bad decision. If you're busy for the March luncheon, for whatever your reason, there's always April 18th or May 16th, etc etc.

golfnut 02-16-2008 02:56 PM

Well said v07 and also Pete, this is a choice each person will make for themselves, simple as that, next topic please, just my .02 cents.

chelsea24 02-16-2008 02:58 PM

:dontknow: I wasn't even aware of a discussion about when to have it. Too busy having fun I guess. But geesh, take a chill pill peeps. George, I don't think a luncheon erodes the American culture at all. I think it is the American culture. I think we all respect everyone's religious rights. This is kind of like -- if you don't like what's on television, change the channel! Again, I hardly think a lunch at Crisper's is an attack on anyone's right to attend it or not to attend it because of their own personal beliefs. I know my personal Savior would smile down on a wonderful, friendly group of people enjoying each other's company. This is not about eroding America, this is America -- which translates to freedom. Just my opinion. :)

nONIE 02-16-2008 03:26 PM

George,

Should we not have it on Saturday because its the Jewish Sabbath...
Should we not have it on Sunday because its the Christian day of worship...
Should we not have it on Ramadan,Islam or Buddhism, or animism days of worship....

and the list goes on and on. I am not trying to be totally facetious but I do believe this a very personal decision and if you dint feel right about joining us, then please don't and we will respect your decision. Please try and respect ours.

beady 02-16-2008 03:44 PM

Chelsea , Nonie, Village 07 :agree: :agree:
George:
We are talking about individual choice here, that is the American Culture, and our most valuable one.
I consider myself a religious person and I am not offended by a luncheon on Good Friday.I respect what others do to keep their traditions, and I do not criticize their choices. To each his own. IMHO

redwitch 02-16-2008 03:57 PM

Nonie, I know a couple of people asked me and all I could tell them was I knew nothing. I have no idea who actually made the decision or who was in on the discussion. So, to me, part of the issue is that I have no clue who made the decision or how many were involved. A consensus of three out of a group of twenty would not seem right to my mind. A consensus of ten out of twenty would put things in a much different light. As I said, I have no idea how many were asked.

I do believe that some religious/holiday observances should be followed and things changed accordingly. To me, these include Rosh Hashanah, Passover, Good Friday and Easter, Ramadan (change the time to after sundown so that any Islamic friends could partake), Thanksgiving, Christmas and, of course, Super Bowl Sunday.

I do respect that people have a right to do as they choose on any of these days. That doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in choices made. On this choice, I am very disappointed, but I'll see y'all in April!

Pete 02-16-2008 04:02 PM

A possible solution to the problem might be to have Village Kid lead a service,

then everyone would be accommodated for the day.

Just a thought

handieman 02-16-2008 05:23 PM

:yikes:
OMG you kids sound like the kids on my school bus. ("Busdriver, I don't want Jane sitting with me Friday OK?")
If the majority decided on the date then so be it. If some, for personal reasons, cannot attend, then so be it. Now go back in your seat and get along or I'll assign seats. :cop:
Handie :joke:
Shame on you kids :chillout:

Donna 02-16-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by handieman
:yikes:
OMG you kids sound like the kids on my school bus. ("Busdriver, I don't want Jane sitting with me Friday OK?")
If the majority decided on the date then so be it. If some, for personal reasons, cannot attend, then so be it. Now go back in your seat and get along or I'll assign seats. :cop:
Handie :joke:
Shame on you kids :chillout:

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/grouphugg.gif