Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Single Golfers getting to play. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/single-golfers-getting-play-11890/)

floydfan 02-16-2008 01:21 AM

Single Golfers getting to play.

I would like to know how difficult it is for a single player to get on the golf courses, both executive and championship. Can you just show up and be paired with another group of 2 or 3 players?

drdodge 02-16-2008 01:26 AM

Re: Single Golfers getting to play.

If you subscribe to the Villages Tee Time system on the internet there are almost always opening for singles on most of the courses

drd

ilvgolf 02-16-2008 02:56 AM

Being single myself, I have never had any trouble getting onto either the Championship or executive courses. A lot of times you can call the course of your choice on the day you want to play and see if there is a "hole" somewhere. If not, go to another course, etc.

villages07 02-16-2008 03:16 AM

Floyd,

From an availability standpoint, you can pretty much play every day (maybe not at prime time between 9 and 3). The computer tee time system is the best. Log on Sat am and you can see available tee times for sun-mon-tue and how many spots left in each group and gender of those already in the group.

I do this alot and without exception so far have met very nice, kind, friendly people.

rekops 02-16-2008 09:56 AM

In past years, we had no problem doing this. You could always get one at palmer if you wanted to spend the $$. But, the other day, on a Wednesday we were looking for a tee time on Friday. there was not a single tee time on the championship courses. Not one, in the whole villages! My wife then checked the next day, and one tee time had opened up at Lopez. She started checking every 15 minutes, looking for a cancellation, and eventually a couple opened up at Orange Blossum. I don't know if this was just a fluke, or if this is what we have to look forward to in February, with the snowbirds and the potential home buyers getting tee times.

golfnut 02-16-2008 03:06 PM

I've never had a problem getting a time for a single on the exec courses. I use the phone and book an unused time open in the next three days. Like rekops said if you don't find what you like check back every few hours, takes less than a minute to check on the phone.

rekops 02-16-2008 07:12 PM

Apparently it must have been a fluke the other day . I just checked again for the upcoming days,and there were a number of openings on the championship courses for a single, and a few openings on the executive courses. On the executives, there wasn't much to choose from - either very early morning such as 7:00, 7:28, etc, or late in the day such as 4:28. We always use the computer, it seems easy that way to see what's available.

villages07 02-17-2008 12:47 PM

rekops,

Best to get on the computer early in the morning and see what's available 3 days out (e.g. on Sunday morning you can see Wednesday)....can usually still find a few single slots in "prime time" (9-3) and, as you say, lots of pickins before 8 and after 330.