Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   In election 2008, don’t forget Angry White Man (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/election-2008-dont-forget-angry-white-man-11896/)

Guest 02-16-2008 03:23 PM

In election 2008, don’t forget Angry White Man

http://www.aspentimes.com/article/2008198091324

Guest 02-16-2008 04:14 PM

Re: In election 2008, don’t forget Angry White Man

Geesh..... is it possible to post a political opinion that doesn't include derogatory nicknames and insults to all who don't agree with you? Lighten up, present facts as facts and opinions with straightforward language without trying to put down everyone who doesn't agree with you.

This observation applies equally to followers of both parties.

Guest 02-16-2008 04:21 PM

Quote:

Geesh..... is it possible to post a political opinion that doesn't include derogatory nicknames and insults to all who don't agree with you? Lighten up, present facts as facts and opinions with straightforward language without trying to put down everyone who doesn't agree with you.

This observation applies equally to followers of both parties.
Villages07 What a great post! :agree: Sometimes I wonder where these people are coming from.

Guest 02-16-2008 04:22 PM

LOL I think English struck a nerve with someone doh

So lighten up 'someone' :)

Guest 02-16-2008 04:33 PM

You know I didn't see any insults or derogatory anything. How come these same people call others in political category a push poler when facts are presented. You can't have it both ways folks. If you can't take the 'heat' get out of the political category ;D

Come on smile, I know you can do it :joke:

Guest 02-17-2008 02:47 AM

I don't know that I'm angry as much as disappointed in the greed and incompetence of our government representatives (Dems and GOP) these last years. I feel like I grow more cynical and I hate that. I do pray for some miracle of change to occur.

Guest 02-17-2008 07:32 AM

English, you like to talk a good game. Clearly you're passionate about your politics. However, this incessant name calling such as Shrillery and Hussein simply make you sound childish and, in my opinion, completely negate any valid points you might or might not have. If you have a point of view above the age of 12 that surpasses the masses and can help and inform, please state it clearly in an adult manner. That said --

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na . . . TAG, you're it!http://www.millan.net/minimations/sm...irdsmiley1.gif

Guest 02-17-2008 11:08 AM

I honestly think we need two political forums - one for progressives and one for conservatives. I rarely look at this forum anymore because of all the foolishness I see here. Its a real turn off- the name calling, the lies about particular candidates, mis-information presented, etc. If there was a forum for folks of my political sensibilities, I and probably others, would join in more often.

Guest 02-17-2008 11:15 AM

Probably a good idea rekops. However, I think on this thread the folks are talking about both sides of the aisle. Only 'progressives' seem to take offense. But I agree with you. You should probably start another for 'progressives.' :agree: :)

Guest 02-17-2008 01:32 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D Libs are at it again. Ah, but we love them. People, listen up -- it's not fun if you're going to get mad :joke: Yes, serious matters can have humor too. Maybe some of you are just not cut out for the rough and tumble of politics. That's okay. You're alive, you're healthy. Go play a round (of golf). :)

Guest 02-17-2008 05:44 PM

English, YOU, personally do not get to me. I'm offended by any name calling and picking on personalities. It's not about the personality or personal quirks, it should be about the issues. Yes, Hussein is a legitimate middle name, but why not refer to him as Barak Obama or to her as Hillary Clinton? You do, at times, have some valid issues, but they are always peppered with name calling and innuendo. That's what I take offense to. At least respect our American voters enough not to belittle their opinions. They are voicing them loud and strong with their votes during these primary elections. Believe me with my Journalism Degree and advertising background, I can easily sniff out "double-speak" and this is what you do. I just wish, like many others, that you would stick to the issues.

Guest 02-17-2008 05:58 PM

Gee Chelsea, maybe you could air your personal feelings to English via PM. It's embarrassing to read your attacks on English. Thanks.

Guest 02-17-2008 07:34 PM

Political discussions are, and likely should be, intensely personal. Yes, you can disagree without being petty or personally disagreeable, but so much of political opinion is an extension of one's emotional reactions. To go way, way, way, way back to the original post in this thread, I found the Aspen Times article to be asinine. :cus: Since I am basically a Republican and a conservative, I agreed with much of the meat of the piece. However, the presentation more than compensated for the content. If the intent was to pander to an audience of like-thinkers, it was probably successful. :clap2: If the intent was to present facts to those who have not decided or possibly to provide an alternative to those who had other beliefs, it failed miserably. :realmad:

I've referred to Billery and Slick Willie in the past, and likely will do so in the future. I think of it as a sign of my disdain for them, :chillout: but it is also a demonstration my inability to express my views properly. Someone once said that profanity was the crutch of the illiterate MF :edit: . Similarly, use of childish nicknames or vicious labels demonstrates a weakness of arguments. If you don't have facts, use slurs. :yikes: Would any of you conservatives ever consider listening unbiasedly to a rant from Keith Olbermann? :barf: His past diatribes have nauseated me to the extent that when his mouth opens, my ears close. And I'm one who normally searches out opposing views. :#1:

Regarding taking "personal" disagreements to PM ~~~ OH NO! What starts out here stays out here. If I tick someone off, I want to see their response in public. I don't want to get an "FOAD" private message. If someone takes issue with something you write, respond in this public forum. :duck: If they harangue you to the degree that if upsets you, cut 'em off. :realmad: That is, ignore them. Do not read their posts --- bet you can't do that. Continue your discussion as if the comments were not made. But remember, anything you put out here is permanent and you are responsible for it. 024

Now I'll put some cute little things in the msg so it will appear to be lighthearted. :joke: :cop: :#1: :redface: ??? :bigthumbsup:

Guest 02-17-2008 07:55 PM

To all above, I am not arguing or attacking, I am simply debating. I have no intention of pm'ing anyone. I'm not ashamed of my views. I personally have not decided who I'm voting for yet, rep or dem.

I do have one thing to ask Richman: Do you even have an opinion? Or do you just comment on comments? Thanks.

Guest 02-17-2008 08:29 PM

Yes Chelsea I do have an opinion. Thank you for asking. :)