Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Political talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/)
-   -   Let's Have Two Political Forums (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-political-talk-88/lets-have-two-political-forums-11915/)

Guest 02-17-2008 11:12 AM

Let's Have Two Political Forums

I honestly think we need two political forums - one for progressives and one for conservatives. I rarely look at this forum anymore because of all the foolishness I see here. Its a real turn off- the name calling, the lies about particular candidates, mis-information presented, etc. If there was a forum for folks of my political sensibilities, I and probably others, would join in more often. My mind is made up, and I imagine many others are the same way. Those that are independants could go to both forums!

Guest 02-17-2008 03:46 PM

Re: Let's Have Two Political Forums

What a GREAT idea! :agree: :bigthumbsup:

Guest 02-18-2008 09:33 PM

I found all the hullabaloo on the For Democrats Only thread a mystery. To me it was obvious that the original posting was pure satire. The fact that Tal found a similar one for Republicans proved that point to me. I think both were meant to point out the differences in party stance, but with a twist -- one for democrats one for republicans.

Satire has a very long history of use for political commentary. In school the example we read was by Jonathan Swift about how the Irish eat their babies. Did the Irish really eat their babies? Of course not. Outrageous? Yes, that's what makes it satire. (See, I wasn't sleeping, or at least during that lecture!)

Guest 02-18-2008 11:42 PM

well, while many here get rude and childish, 2 forums isn't a good idea.
what's the purpose of a forum of all progressives all in common agreement?
same of the conservative forum,

good, bad or other , this forum is a slice of americana

Guest 02-19-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Posted by Guest
Exactly! Boards that have good honest debate between those who think alike and those who think differently is what it SHOULD be all about. Instead the same people want to keep everything divided and not have to think, just follow the leader, as it were.

I couldn't agree with you more. My complaint is the tone that is prevalent in the discussions. Why can't people discuss topics without all the name calling and venomous rancor.

The problem with American politics today is that both political parties are too drawn up in their own policies. They can't communicate with each other without bickering and name calling. I just wish there was a MODERATE party, where people could accept the policies that fit in the middle of both the Liberals and Conservatives.

Guest 02-19-2008 03:20 AM

Both wings claim to want their party to be a Big Tent. The problem is that everyone wants everyone else in their tent to be just like them. The Liberals want absolute freedom of choice in all things for all people, assuming of course that the choices agree with theirs. The Conservatives demand a Reaganesque criteria of credentials that would in fact bar Reagan from the party.

History shows that while 3rd parties don't last in American politics, parties themselves evolve. As much as I detest the political polarization of today, I more fear the balkanization of parties to create a situation similar to Italy. While I tend to believe the principle that less government is good, a situation where 5 or 6 parties each had around 20% support would be absolute chaos.

It is possible that the "main stream" portion of each party can reclaim control and marginalize the more radical elements. Those elements could break away completely to form new parties, which would likely disappear rather quickly. Possibly the "mainstream" could fail to control either the Democratic or Republican party while being successful in the other. This would likely lead the element which failed to moderate their party to leave it for the other. The surviving party would then become more radical, the new party more moderate. The last alternative is that both moderation attempts would fail. I think this would undoubtedly lead to creation of a 3rd Party, the "Middle of the Roaders." If this party lasted for more than a few election cycles, it would replace one of the existing "wings" and the political center would shift accordingly.

Guest 02-19-2008 03:01 PM

well, anytime you start talking religion or politics or sex, it's gonna get wild

Guest 02-19-2008 03:25 PM

In most forums there are usually ground rules for discussion and debate: an exhange of ideas, trying to convince someone that your opinion is the one that counts, etc., is fine. But insults and personal attacks are rarely condoned in forums such as this. Its supposed to be about the facts, the ideas. Hopefully the moderator is keeping an eye on certain persons who post.

Guest 02-19-2008 03:43 PM

The problem with this forum is that people turn against and dislike one another. If you met in real life, you might really like the person that you railed against on this forum. That person could possibly be one of your dearest friends but you'll never know it because you treated each other poorly in these discussions. Be kind to one another. You can personally change little about our national policies and politics. Is is worth it to denigrate each other over something like this?

Guest 02-21-2008 12:30 AM

or, we can have 3 forums,
one for me and those who agree with me,
one for the jerks on the right
and one for the idiots on the left LOLOLOL

Guest 02-21-2008 04:26 AM

JohnN - thanks for injecting a little humor into this thread. :) ;) ;D

Guest 02-24-2008 03:22 AM

Ah my favorite subject was touched upon above....POLITICAL CORRECTNESS.....
the most ridiculous concept ever devised by those who care note to subscribe to right or wrong.....PC is a licence to avoid doing or saying what is right.....or correcting a wrong for fear of offending some one.
It has been bred by permissive pacifism to a point where folks will no longer stand up to be counted upon for those things they truly believe, but will no longer espouse....to be PC....what a tragedy! Another basis for the deterioration of the core values that made this country great!!

If y'all can't stand the heat you know how the saying goes. It is not personal.....just speaking ones mind...er that is a concept that is still allowed.....eh?

BTK ;D

Guest 02-24-2008 03:35 AM

BTK:

I 2nd that emotion :agree:

Guest 02-24-2008 04:19 AM

Oh for heavens sake, we're all to old to be politically correct. That dog won't hunt.

Guest 03-11-2008 04:40 AM

Sam: I love your comment! :agree: :agree: :agree: