Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Ranch? Villa? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/ranch-villa-11932/)

Boomer 02-18-2008 01:46 PM

Ranch? Villa?

We may buy a home in TV before the end of the year. It will be a second home and we want to try to keep the associated costs as reasonable as possible.

I have been learning as much as I can about patio villas, but we are starting to wonder if a small ranch might be the way to go. The primary reason is for a 2 car garage. I realize that some of the ranch models have a 1.5 garage like the villas.

Yard? Utilities? Insurance? Other associated costs? - Are these significantly higher for a 2 car garage, small ranch over a patio villa? Is there anything else we need to consider.

Thanks.

JohnN 02-18-2008 02:22 PM

Re: Ranch? Villa?

Hi Boomer, you likely know this as well as I do from research.
The smallest ranches seem to run about $25K more than the smallest patio villas, though both about the same square footage. So utilities should be about the same but insurance proportionally higher.

Ranch homes have grass which is why I'm inclined to the villas, also I've always had big yards and dogs and the fence privacy is appealing on the small Florida lots. Though I'd sure like a 2 car garage I think I'll forego it and downsize a bit.

To me , I'll visit both when making a final call but it will be more emotional than financial.

Frangyomory 02-18-2008 06:37 PM

I've seen patio villas, ranch homes and bought a courtyard villa.

I like privacy and have a dog so the fenced yard was the final "want to have" for me.

You won't find too many two car garages but there are even a few in courtyard villas. Here in Cherry Vale inTall Trees, we have two villas with two car garages.

You won't have much difference in expenses from one to another of the three mentioned above. Only when you move up to designer homes, do you experience more expensive taxes, heat, etc.

As a second home, I really think a patio villa wouldbe great. Probably lowest in price of the three and if you decide to rent it part of the year, you would have the best chance of renting it out.

Some patio villas have open kitchens and that is a really nice look. I love my courtyard and wouldn't have any othe type home but that's what worked for me.

It will all depend on what you like, but if price is a big part, you really might want to look into patio villas. They are lovely. :bigthumbsup:

dadspet 02-19-2008 02:38 PM

We went through the same decisions this summer and finally bought a 3 Bedroom ranch. We rented a Patio Villa for 3 years and were very happy with them and actually looked a lot at them before we decided to buy. But when it came down to the final decision, I really wanted a 2 car garage because I felt the 1 1/2 car garages were just to small and I need some "man" space for toys and room to get the golf cart in and out easily. Another reason for the ranch was we like the idea of a little bit of land with grass around us and the fact it gave us more of a home feel. Expense wise there are a bit more in a ranch but I don't think they are too much. Insurance is similar but a bit more because the ranches are more then the Patio Villas. Utilities other then water are about the same I would guess. Water for the grass could be a bit more because you will probably have more grass to water but patio villas also have grass and will need water and lawn service. Courtyard villas do offer privacy ( we don't have any animals and privacy wasn't one of our l priorities) but they tend to cost more. . We are snowbirds and very happy with the ranch decision. Remember even if you are snow birds you will be spending a good portion of your remaining life in you TV Home/Villa. Decide whats important to you and I don't think you will be unhappy with what ever path you go down. Good luck!

rekops 02-19-2008 04:47 PM

We had a Colony patio with volume ceilings, which gave an air of spaciousness. The lanai is on the front, which we enjoyed. Our only drawback was the 1 1/2 car garage. Could barely open the doors of the big Buick. Might be worth the extra $$ to have the larger garage.

The Great Fumar 02-19-2008 08:52 PM

Have to agree with Rekops
The 1 1/2 garage is fine at first but then it starts getting smaller and smaller as you live there......They will hold one car and one golf cart and thats it.....very snug....When I had a courtyard villa built I had the width of the garage widened two feet and that helped ,but now you can't do that anymore..... Two years later I bought a bigger house and love it.......Food for thought......

chuckinca 02-20-2008 02:39 AM

F:

U on ur 3rd house already?

The Great Fumar 02-20-2008 02:56 AM

CHUCKINCA
Nope , Its just my second and last I might add.....I'm here to stay.......Their going to have to carry me out of here.........Of course I'm a lot older than you ..........Remember the picture of the last supper ????Well I was on KP then
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mintjulep 02-20-2008 04:56 AM

Boomer,
With our patio villa, the small garage has been the biggest adjustment for me.
If only it had a 2 car instead of 1 1/2... Or was a 1 1/2 CAR garage ONLY. But it also has the laundry, a huge 2nd fridge, a standing washtub, the furnace and hot water heater, tools, yard and paint equipment, ladders, golf clubs, etc,. etc., etc. :yikes:
(I'm starting to get really creative with storage)!!!
I think alot of ranches have the laundry room inside which would help.
Or maybe check out the Cabot Cove patio villa. If you don't mind the smaller kitchen.
Everything seems to be give and take. To get certain things you want, you have to give up something else. Just have to find the best fit for you.

We bought our villa as a second home and are lucky enough to have the vaulted ceilings throughout which gives it a larger feel. And a beautiful corner lot, so the side view out the sliders is lovely. (Even if the garage makes me crazy)...

But we have our house in NC for sale and eventually want to have only one home again. For us and our lifestyle with lots of weekend guests, etc., we plan to buy something a bit larger after the other one sells and we're here year round.
Plus we'll eventually have to bring all the years of memorabilia that we can't part with.
Oh my,,,I've already raised my beds here to get storage under them for my crafts stuff.

We've heard alot of people move 2 or 3 times til they get exactly what and where they want. And we'll be in that category.
But if you can do all the research and get it right the first time, it sure would be less complicated and you'll spend lots less in moving costs, closing costs and other fees.

Good luck to you...