Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Who misses hunting or hunting camp? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/who-misses-hunting-hunting-camp-122734/)

senior citizen 08-02-2014 11:58 AM

Who misses hunting or hunting camp?

Who misses hunting or going up to deer hunting camp? What about pheasant hunting?

Our season doesn't begin for several months, however, hunting of a different variety has been ongoing lately.........hunting of pesty critters.

Within the past two days, we've trapped one oppossum, one groundhog (both in a have a heart trap) plus a field mouse* inside our furnace room in regular mouse trap. *The cooler days & nights are when they begin to seek shelter indoors.........plus all this rain we've had.

The first two critters were just taken to the "forest" for resettlement with the rest of their "cousins".....from long ago & far away......

Our daughter's husband has just trapped & shot three raccoons who were attacking & eating their laying hens........they are waiting for the rest of that crew of the raccoon family............they also had a bear who ate their groundhog.....who was attacking their chickens.

Quite a few years ago, we had a massive groundhog invasion, of which I took about 35 photos........my husband eventually believed me & set to work capturing them for "relocation".............they were HUGE. One more ornery than the next. (Might have been more or less than 35).

When we ran out of apples & fruit, we gave them chocolate chip cookies which they really loved.

Today's critter was young but also ornery. Many are. At first I thought he was more laid back & friendly as he would sit on the rock just gazing up at the house.......but he was becoming too familiar ; we needed to eliminate him; they are rodents after all.......and many grow quite large.

The chipmunks we tolerate as they are cute........but the rest need to go.

Years ago, our cousin in N.J. kept saying ours was the same groundhog returning.......the rumor being that they know their way back home....... Some old Jersey farmer had told him that "legend"....

Not so, as ours were all different sizes, colors, temperments.........not the same critter.

Some would whistle very loud.........they were brazen & would sun themselves on our patio........

Luckily, we caught our new visitor (and the opposum) with fruit.......in the have a heart trap. Luckily also that it was not a skunk.

At first his weight was too light to spring the trap door...........but guess we fattened the critter up after two weeks..........meanwhile, the rabbits, the squirrels, etc. & beautiful red & blue birds were enjoying the apples........sometimes the groundhogs liked tomatoes.

Because of the rainy summer, the deer family make frequent appearances, perhaps because of our pear & cherry trees.........or the fact that this property, this entire neighborhood was once apple orchards at the edge of town.............they must have a familial "memory" to return & sniff & dig in the soil.........even in places where we have had to remove old apple blossom trees.......the deer remember & return.

karostay 08-02-2014 12:21 PM

Not 100% sure about Florida you may be breaking the law.
In trying to do something kind for the animal you relocated
Problem animals are not supposed to relocated. In most states it illegal you may be spreading diseased or rabid animals to other locations .

I hunt very little now I was an avid deer hunter from opening day of archery in Sept till the end of rifle season late Dec I wouldn't miss a weekend
No matter the weather..My favorite was muzzle loader not the new inline .The Tc Hawken just like Jeremiah Johnson 50 cal you had to think and know how to shoot and be close

duffysmom 08-02-2014 12:29 PM

TMI. Sorry I opened your note.:Screen_of_Death:

senior citizen 08-02-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 917466)
Not 100% sure about Florida you may be breaking the law.
In trying to do something kind for the animal you relocated
Problem animals are not supposed to relocated. In most states it illegal you may be spreading diseased or rabid animals to other locations .

I hunt very little now I was an avid deer hunter from opening day of archery in Sept till the end of rifle season late Dec I wouldn't miss a weekend
No matter the weather..My favorite was muzzle loader not the new inline .The Tc Hawken just like Jeremiah Johnson 50 cal you had to think and know how to shoot and be close

Good memories for you of your hunting in the past.........

Vermont Wildlife Fish & Game does not seem to have any rules or regulations against disposing of groundhogs a.k.a. woodchucks.

Obviously , one would not relocate them to a residential neighborhood or park. Since we are surrounded by the Green Mountain National Forest, and expansive farmlands, totally rural areas.......relocation is not an issue.

Groundhogs can undermine home foundations, swimming pools, decks & screened in porches..........which is just where ours was burroughing under.

The last place I wanted him to take up residence was under our new three season screened in porch or under the deck. It would be a nightmare.

In the past, we had them under our shed............ Prior to that, they had extensive burroughs under shrubs on the hill.......that was all done away with....following extensive excavation work.........before the new deck was put on........followed by the screened room which is all across the back of the house.

My husband would be aware if it was acting rabid. He takes precautions. We would then call a Game Warden if it was displaying any signs of rabies.

EVERYONE & THEIR UNCLE IN VERMONT RELOCATE THEIR GROUNDHOGS TO THE FOREST.........not hard to do; being a predominately rural state, it isn't a big problem up here as far as taking them to a new "home" away from residential neighborhoods.

This new one arrived in July...........we just read that is the exact month they separate from their mothers. After hibernating all winter, they breed & give birth in March? Hope this one doesn't have brothers & sisters.

Truthfully, everyone around here have havahart traps (I was misspelling it as have a heart trap....) and everyone relocates them to the forest.

karostay 08-02-2014 05:24 PM

Small world what memories

My father and his hunting buddies when I was a youth in 1950's and 60's and yearning to hunt
Were known as The Bingo Mt Boys making a trek each year from Conn up and over the Brandon Gap into Bingo Mt area Green Mt National Forrest in Vt.
They lived out of army surplus tents for a week along the Bingo Mt Rd.
One night during the week they would make a pilgrimage to the Manchester Inn for a night out that's when they would call home to their families I would be anxiously await his evening call to hear the stories of who got or saw what
I was like Ralphy in a Christmas Story
Finally when I became of age and hunted a few years with the group.
It was tough hunting . Unlike like today's Ranch canned hunting
All good things in life come to pass

Patty55 08-02-2014 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senior citizen (Post 917450)
Who misses hunting or going up to deer hunting camp? What about pheasant hunting?

Our season doesn't begin for several months, however, hunting of a different variety has been ongoing lately.........hunting of pesty critters.

Within the past two days, we've trapped one oppossum, one groundhog (both in a have a heart trap) plus a field mouse* inside our furnace room in regular mouse trap. *The cooler days & nights are when they begin to seek shelter indoors.........plus all this rain we've had.

The first two critters were just taken to the "forest" for resettlement with the rest of their "cousins".....from long ago & far away......

Our daughter's husband has just trapped & shot three raccoons who were attacking & eating their laying hens........they are waiting for the rest of that crew of the raccoon family............they also had a bear who ate their groundhog.....who was attacking their chickens.

Quite a few years ago, we had a massive groundhog invasion, of which I took about 35 photos........my husband eventually believed me & set to work capturing them for "relocation".............they were HUGE. One more ornery than the next. (Might have been more or less than 35).

When we ran out of apples & fruit, we gave them chocolate chip cookies which they really loved.

Today's critter was young but also ornery. Many are. At first I thought he was more laid back & friendly as he would sit on the rock just gazing up at the house.......but he was becoming too familiar ; we needed to eliminate him; they are rodents after all.......and many grow quite large.

The chipmunks we tolerate as they are cute........but the rest need to go.

Years ago, our cousin in N.J. kept saying ours was the same groundhog returning.......the rumor being that they know their way back home....... Some old Jersey farmer had told him that "legend"....

Not so, as ours were all different sizes, colors, temperments.........not the same critter.

Some would whistle very loud.........they were brazen & would sun themselves on our patio........

Luckily, we caught our new visitor (and the opposum) with fruit.......in the have a heart trap. Luckily also that it was not a skunk.

At first his weight was too light to spring the trap door...........but guess we fattened the critter up after two weeks..........meanwhile, the rabbits, the squirrels, etc. & beautiful red & blue birds were enjoying the apples........sometimes the groundhogs liked tomatoes.

Because of the rainy summer, the deer family make frequent appearances, perhaps because of our pear & cherry trees.........or the fact that this property, this entire neighborhood was once apple orchards at the edge of town.............they must have a familial "memory" to return & sniff & dig in the soil.........even in places where we have had to remove old apple blossom trees.......the deer remember & return.

I don't like hunting, never did. I hate seeing deer tied on the roof of a car. IMO, it's barbaric but at least those people are going to eat it.

To trap and then shoot three racoons is beyond barbaric, it's just wrong. I wouldn't trust this person around animals and children.

Bizdoc 08-02-2014 06:16 PM

I miss listening to "The Second Week of Deer Camp..." Can we get the entertainment folks to book Da Yoopers?

manaboutown 08-02-2014 07:17 PM

I don't miss it. I look forward to it every year. Dove, ducks, geese, quail, pheasant, pronghorn antelope, deer, elk, turkey, javelina, even bear.

The FIRST thing I noticed when I walked into the Lake Sumter Landing sales office a few years ago were the mounted trophy size mule deer heads. I realized someone was a serious hunter when I saw those!

shcisamax 08-02-2014 07:28 PM

Unless you are specifically hunting because you are hungry and need to eat, I see hunting for sport as "who the heck made you God?" I understand some people feel it is quite ok to stalk an another species for fun and kill it. I don't see the pay off. I see it as the deck is stacked and it is an activity of making one feel superior. Try tracking and observing instead. You might gain an appreciation of how wonderfully different but wonderfully special every other species is.

senior citizen 08-02-2014 07:45 PM

I hear you but ths was attacking their chickens

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patty55 (Post 917674)
I don't like hunting, never did. I hate seeing deer tied on the roof of a car. IMO, it's barbaric but at least those people are going to eat it.

To trap and then shoot three racoons is beyond barbaric, it's just wrong. I wouldn't trust this person around animals and children.

I hear you, but........

This raccoon family were a nuisance as they were killing their chickens/laying hens.

The chicken coop is right up close to the home........so the critter was too close for comfort with children about.

Their house is up 600 feet of dirt road driveway.......from the regular dirt road which leads to another dirt road before one gets to a narrow paved road in very very rural area.......with forest all around them..........hard for city dwellers to imagine. It's a different way of life up there. Everyone hunts & has rifles. He is excellent with children by the way & very educated; Ph.D etc. I was surprised myself, however, it was a nuisance wild animal..........not a golden retriever.

Ten acres of wooded land equals a lot of critters. Believe me, my daughter is an animal lover as are the three children, however, this critter was killing their beloved laying hens. Our grandaughter loves the chickens so much, she brings them into the house. All the kids there bring their chickens to school.......it's a rural area. Smart people who just like to live in the country.

They also have a black bear or two on their ten acres of land in northern very rural Vermont. The black bear killed the groundhog (that killed their first group of chickens).

Plus ferrets & other nuisance animals...........all of which live in the wild.

Anyone who has come from a "rural life" prior to retirement in Florida will understand.

Those of us born in the cities, or suburbia.......even if now living in a small town, may not "get it". I'm glad we live where we do...as northern Vermont is quite rugged but beautiful. I could not deal with what they have to deal with but I guess it's worth it when you can chop down your own Christmas tree each year from your own land........

Second one down, after the bears,.....apparently, you can take the fur of a raccoon, etc.

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/wildlife_living_with_bears.cfm

ttp://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/AnnualTrappersReport.cfm

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/wildlife_furbearer.cfm

http://www.conservewildlife.org/animals/raccoon.html

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/laws_nuisance.cfm

CFrance 08-02-2014 08:02 PM

We lived with raccoons all our lives. Never saw the need to kill any of them. In fact, one night our teenage son put gloves on, dragged a ladder out and rescued three babies from the top of our open garage door(how they got there?:shrug: ) while the mother was in the driveway screaming for her babies.

I don't need to open five links to see why they should be killed or relocated. If it isn't a rabid animal in the wrong place at the wrong time, learn to live with them and teach your children how to respect wildlife.

senior citizen 08-02-2014 08:09 PM

A nostalgic remembrance to Bingo Brook

Quote:

Originally Posted by karostay (Post 917665)
Small world what memories

My father and his hunting buddies when I was a youth in 1950's and 60's and yearning to hunt
Were known as The Bingo Mt Boys making a trek each year from Conn up and over the Brandon Gap into Bingo Mt area Green Mt National Forrest in Vt.
They lived out of army surplus tents for a week along the Bingo Mt Rd.
One night during the week they would make a pilgrimage to the Manchester Inn for a night out that's when they would call home to their families I would be anxiously await his evening call to hear the stories of who got or saw what
I was like Ralphy in a Christmas Story
Finally when I became of age and hunted a few years with the group.
It was tough hunting . Unlike like today's Ranch canned hunting
All good things in life come to pass

Personally, I've never heard of Bingo Mountain.....but here's Bingo Brook, which conceivably they probably hunted in that region.

http://www.gmc4x4.com/topic/87-vt-green-mountain-national-forest-bingo-brook/

CLICK HYPERLIK ABOVE , then SCROLL LOWER TO PLAY VIDEO OF THE AREA YOUR FATHER WENT TO......
This area has about 15 miles of forest service roads that allow you to wander around for a while
scattered along these roads are primitive campsites where you can camp up to 14 days
Vermont Green Mountain National Forest Bingo Brook *

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=BGN080-041

Pine Brook Trail | Rochester Vermont

Use upper menu to see topography, etc.

This ride's general location is Rochester. The first few miles parallel Bingo Brook, which has unusual boulders and crevices; the trail section is densely wooded. This primo ride is good for families and beginners. If short and sweet is your style, this loop is for you. It begins with a pleasant, gradual climb on Forest Service Road 42, parallel to Bingo Brook, a scenic brook with unusually large boulders. You then climb more steeply, which affords scenic views to the south. Eventually you connect with Pine Brook Trail, a grassy, smooth, double-track trail that descends through the woods back to FR 42

Read more at Trails.com: Pine Brook Trail | Rochester Vermont Mountain Bike Trails | Trails.com http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailId=BGN080-041#ixzz39HnJVRwK

THEY MUST HAVE ENJOYED THAT RUGGED EXPERIENCE GETTING AWAY TO PURE NATURE..........

My hubby went to hunting camp from his twenties to perhaps about age 50..........hasn't gone the past twenty years. None of them ever got a deer, however, it was three days away from work, with the hope of getting one. Neither myself nor the kids would have enjoyed the venison as we were "on Bambi's side" for survival.

Hunting is still big in Vermont........beginning with bow hunting & then rifle hunting which ends around Thanksgiving........

jimmemac 08-02-2014 08:13 PM

I am looking forward to the middle of November thru the first week of December when I will be back in Maryland to goose hunt in the morning and bow hunt in the evenings. This will be my shortest hunting time in 40 years and probably my last so it will be really special!

Patty55 08-02-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senior citizen (Post 917759)
I hear you, but........

This raccoon family were a nuisance as they were killing their chickens/laying hens.

The chicken coop is right up close to the home........so the critter was too close for comfort with children about.

Their house is up 600 feet of dirt road driveway.......from the regular dirt road which leads to another dirt road before one gets to a narrow paved road in very very rural area.......with forest all around them..........hard for city dwellers to imagine. It's a different way of life up there. Everyone hunts & has rifles. He is excellent with children by the way & very educated; Ph.D etc. I was surprised myself, however, it was a nuisance wild animal..........not a golden retriever.

Ten acres of wooded land equals a lot of critters. Believe me, my daughter is an animal lover as are the three children, however, this critter was killing their beloved laying hens. Our grandaughter loves the chickens so much, she brings them into the house. All the kids there bring their chickens to school.......it's a rural area. Smart people who just like to live in the country.

They also have a black bear or two on their ten acres of land in northern very rural Vermont. The black bear killed the groundhog (that killed their first group of chickens).

Plus ferrets & other nuisance animals...........all of which live in the wild.

Anyone who has come from a "rural life" prior to retirement in Florida will understand.

Those of us born in the cities, or suburbia.......even if now living in a small town, may not "get it". I'm glad we live where we do...as northern Vermont is quite rugged but beautiful. I could not deal with what they have to deal with but I guess it's worth it when you can chop down your own Christmas tree each year from your own land........

Second one down, after the bears,.....apparently, you can take the fur of a raccoon, etc.

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/wildlife_living_with_bears.cfm

ttp://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/AnnualTrappersReport.cfm

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/wildlife_furbearer.cfm

http://www.conservewildlife.org/animals/raccoon.html

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/laws_nuisance.cfm

What I find most objectionable is to catch the racoons and then shoot them. Kind of like throwing a lobster pot in the tank at Red Lobster. To me, it smacks of sadism (IMO).

Please don't assume who came (or did not come)from a rural life. Guess what, we cut down Christmas trees, had wild "critters".

senior citizen 08-02-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmemac (Post 917774)
I am looking forward to the middle of November thru the first week of December when I will be back in Maryland to goose hunt in the morning and bow hunt in the evenings. This will be my shortest hunting time in 40 years and probably my last so it will be really special!

Enjoy the journey & don't think of it as your last.......but one of your finest.
It's always good to get back to nature.