Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Computer art? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/computer-art-12403/)

Rokinronda 03-11-2008 11:59 PM

Computer art?

My profile pic a GIMP painting. But my new medium is the simple paint program on my beloved PC.......have many abstracts. Opinions, good and BAD, comments please and maybe some software suggestions. THANKS!!!

chelsea24 03-12-2008 02:55 AM

Re: Computer art?

Ronda, what program are you using? I have several suggestions. Paint Shop Pro. Corel Draw, Adobe Photoshop, Photo Impact (great effects) It's also fun to create something and then take it through 2 or 3 programs to see the effects you can come up with.

Barefoot 03-12-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokinronda
My profile pic is my newest art medium. simple paint program on my beloved PC.......have many abstracts. Opinions, good and BAD, comments please and maybe some software suggestions. THANKS!!!

:bigthumbsup:

Rokinronda 03-12-2008 05:49 AM

Basic paint. I call it pixel art! I am out of canvas and need my art time.

tony 03-12-2008 11:52 AM

Ronda asked about about software for art.

1. Adobe Photoshop. Costs plenty, but is excellent and I own stock in the company.
2. Corel Paintshop Pro. Costs little, but is excellent. I used it for years and loved it.
3. GIMP. Free from gimp.org. Excellent. The name is not as bad as it sounds. It stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program.

Once you get one of these, check the web for users groups. Paintshop has a lot of people out there using it for artsy stuff. I haven't checked for Photoshop groups, but it is the premier graphic program by reputation. The other two pretty much match it in functionality, though. Too close to call.

All of them are wonderful. You can't go wrong with any.

I'm a pencil and paper artists, so we need some real computer artists to post here because I don't know if there are any other creative pieces that are more geared to artsy people. Adobe Illustrator, maybe? Also powerful, also expensive, but Paintshop Pro has a vector-based drawing set included. Illustrator is largely vector based.

Rokinronda 03-12-2008 01:03 PM

Will try Gimp, thanks!! Oil painting is my favorite medium! NOW SHOWING an OIL. Tomorrow an abstract pixel drawing.

The Great Fumar 03-13-2008 01:35 AM

I have been playing around with MS Paint for quite some time , this is one of many and some are more complex ....If their is any interest I can post more of them....It can be great fun on rainy evenings.......

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...yofP-51A-1.jpg

Rokinronda 03-13-2008 01:40 AM

That is GREAT!! I am impressed! :bigthumbsup:

The Great Fumar 03-13-2008 02:06 AM

Here one more that took me a week to do.......If there's something that you don't care for you just erase it and do it over........Its fun but I haven't done any for a while as I am so busy with other thing here at the villages........hope you enjoy .......fumar

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...NITETIME-1.jpg

JohnnyM 03-13-2008 03:04 AM

Very nice work Fumar :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

Rokinronda 03-13-2008 03:58 AM

FUMAR the GREAT!!!! :bow: :clap2: :bow: :clap2: :bow:

chelsea24 03-13-2008 02:33 PM

Wow Fuman, I'm impressed! :#1: Keep up the good work Ronda. I think computer art is great fun and I'm also impressed with everything you're putting up. :bow:

Russ_Boston 03-13-2008 04:16 PM

Photoshop really is more for what it says PHOTO manipulation and it is the best I've seen for that application. It does have a close cousin called Illustrator which is much more artistic from a creation point of view. Both are expensive. In my current line of work (software - web designer etc.) those Adobe products are the choice. They have a complete suite that includes everything but again it is much too expensive for normal play ($1800 for the suite).

The good part of those products is the extensive education and forums that are available since many professional artists and photographers use them.

Rokinronda 03-13-2008 04:45 PM

Tony, I am very thankful for your free link to GIMP. I love to create and this may be what I've been searching for! TOTV is the :#1: place for inquiring minds!!!!! What do you think of my flower??

tony 03-13-2008 06:06 PM

How did you make that artwork? I have never been able to do that on any of the graphics programs I tried to run.

It's the artist, not the medium.

Nice work.

Rokinronda 03-13-2008 06:16 PM

HHMMMMM. GIMP!!! LOVE IT! Not getting any work done, but to heck with it. Let's see.....Layering using tools. Draw, blend, dark underlayment, I have a similar oil of a daffodil. (This was quick and NO MESS!!) I have 2 others, I've done since last night!

tony 03-13-2008 06:26 PM

How did you learn that program so quickly?
:o

Rokinronda 03-13-2008 06:28 PM

just playing around!! :dontknow: here's another

The Great Fumar 03-14-2008 02:38 AM

This was made with a combination of MS Paint and coral draw 6 where the smear tool was used on the waves............
I've got the try this gimp site you talking about , sounds interesting ...

fumar with a sore ear

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...r/SURFTURF.jpg

chelsea24 03-14-2008 02:53 AM

Wow Ronda and Fumar both of these are great! Keep up the good work. ;)

Villages Kahuna 03-14-2008 03:20 AM

It Really IS Art

Some people look down their noses at images created on the computer, particularly photographs that have been modified using Photoshop. Personally, I think that attitude is nonsense. If an artistic image is pleasing to viewers, then it's art.

Here's are a couple of pictures of a flowers I took at Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvania which I modified and framed using Photoshop. Somebody tell me that they're not art.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...aquelure-1.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/j...erPastels1.jpg

Village Kid 2 03-14-2008 03:42 AM

Wow, what an artistic group! Thanks for sharing! VK, I saved the lavender field that was the first place pic in the recent photo contest as my screensaver at work. It is so soothing!

VK2

Rokinronda 03-14-2008 03:48 AM

Love the ART, Kahuna!! I paint, sculpt, and now computer ART! Love it!!

Villages Kahuna 03-14-2008 04:56 AM

The Story Of The "Best Of Show" Picture

Hey, Villages Kid, here's the story of the lavender picture.

The photograph was taken by a member of The Villages Photography Club, Gary Bergland. Gary and his wife traveled to Washington state specifically to attend the lavender festival that's held each July in Sequim, WA. The annual festival is timed to coincide with the peak of the lavender season.

Apparently the "rain shadow" in that part of the Olympic peninsula results in ideal conditions for the growth of lavender--maybe better than any place in the world. Gary and his wife visited Sequim to enjoy the scenery. He took his point-and-shoot camera with him. Gary is an excellent photographer, but he reports that getting that award-winning picture took little more effort and skill than pointing his camera at one of the many, many vistas of blooming lavender on the dozen or so farms in the area that grow the flower.

I agree. That photograph is both breath-takingly beautiful as well as calming. I guess if we want to see that type of scenery, it's as close as Sequim, WA. Sequim is only about an hour's drive from downtown Seattle. This year's festival is scheduled for July 18-19-20. If you want to go and take your own pictures, here's the link to the details. Take a look at some of the other pictures posted on that website.

tony 03-17-2008 01:23 AM

Here is one Photoshop tutorial site.

You can probably find a way to apply the instructions to other graphics programs.