Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Dogs Require Licensing in Sumter County (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/dogs-require-licensing-sumter-county-124639/)

Warren Kiefer 08-21-2014 08:32 PM

Dogs Require Licensing in Sumter County

Am I the only person that did not know dogs owned by Sumter county residents must be licensed?? This requirement by Sumter County has a cost of $5.00 per dog. :crap2:

redwitch 08-21-2014 08:57 PM

Thought that was true of all dogs in America -- shots and licensed.

JC and John 08-21-2014 09:17 PM

A sign at our vet's office indicates cats must be licensed too in Sumter Co.

wendyquat 08-21-2014 09:52 PM

I understand it's a hefty penalty if caught without it!

Barefoot 08-21-2014 10:18 PM

I wonder if Snowdogs have to be licensed, if they are already licensed somewhere else.

Bizdoc 08-22-2014 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 926876)
I wonder if Snowdogs have to be licensed, if they are already licensed somewhere else.

Probably not. You should (as I am sure you do) carry a copy of their rabies certificate.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 08-22-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 926876)

Might depend on whether their owners have applied for the homestead exemption or have declared themselves to be Florida residents.

dirtbanker 08-22-2014 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizdoc (Post 926916)
You should (as I am sure you do) carry a copy of their rabies certificate.

I kept misplacing my dogs certificate, so I had it tattooed on my arm :evil6:
They should incorporate a breast pocket on those service dog vests people can order online...

dirtbanker 08-22-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 926925)
Might depend on whether their owners have applied for the homestead exemption or have declared themselves to be Florida residents.

Yeah, they could ask for your tax return if you had a dog tag that was not from Sumter County :1rotfl:

graciegirl 08-22-2014 08:19 AM

Two things I have never heard here; Is your dog licensed? and How much money do you have?

zcaveman 08-22-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 926964)
Two things I have never heard here; Is your dog licensed? and How much money do you have?

That is probably because I don't remember you saying you have a dog. I have been asked and I have asked that question when I used to walk my dog and did not see a license on the other persons dog's collar. Some dog owners do not realize they need a rabies license in Marion county.

I used to get my dog his rabies shot at Markets of Marion. They do not do licenses. I had to go to the vet and show him my rabies certificate to get a tag for Bart. The tag cost $7.

Z

graciegirl 08-22-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcaveman (Post 926981)
That is probably because I don't remember you saying you have a dog. I have been asked and I have asked that question when I used to walk my dog and did not see a license on the other person's dog's collar. Some dog owners do not realize they need a rabies license in Marion county.

I used to get my dog his rabies shot ay Markets of Marion. They do not do licenses. I had to go to the vet and show him my rabies certificate to get a tag for Bart.

Z

OH.

RErmer 08-22-2014 09:32 AM

We just got an email from our vet reminding us that a license is needed for our cat in Sumter county, even though the cat never goes outside. For Sumter county, you can get the license at the government building at Pinellas. I'm not sure I'm going to do so. What do others do?

dirtbanker 08-22-2014 10:07 AM

I would save the $7 and get rid of the cat! :girlneener:

TNLAKEPANDA 08-22-2014 11:24 AM

How about those Snowbird Dogs?