Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Another Pet Peeve ... Talking during a movie (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/another-pet-peeve-talking-during-movie-125465/)

Cedwards38 08-31-2014 07:33 AM

Another Pet Peeve ... Talking during a movie

I'm continually amazed and annoyed by the folks who feel that it is perfectly alright to have a conversation with those sitting with them during a movie. Seriously folks, do you think you are at home in front of your television? The rest of us (wait, I'm only speaking for myself) do not appreciate the distraction of hearing you talk while we paid our money to listen to the film, rather than to you. We don't want to hear how you knew it all along. Don't you listen to the respectful request before the film starts to refrain from talking? I guess you missed it because you were probably talking while the announcement was being made. Folks, please "SHUT THE .........," ummm, that's too harsh. How's this? "PLEASE BE QUIET DURING THE MOVIE." And don't get me started on turning off your cellphones. Am I the only one who experiences this?

OK, I'm taking a deep breath and reciting my mantra! Serenity now, Serenity now! :smiley: There's lots worse problems in the world than this, but this one could be so easily fixed.

MikeV 08-31-2014 07:59 AM

That is so annoying. Some people just think they are so important or privileged that they don't have to follow the rules.

thelegges 08-31-2014 09:44 AM

Cell phone are just as bad

graciegirl 08-31-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cedwards38 (Post 930944)
I'm continually amazed and annoyed by the folks who feel that it is perfectly alright to have a conversation with those sitting with them during a movie. Seriously folks, do you think you are at home in front of your television? The rest of us (wait, I'm only speaking for myself) do not appreciate the distraction of hearing you talk while we paid our money to listen to the film, rather than to you. We don't want to hear how you knew it all along. Don't you listen to the respectful request before the film starts to refrain from talking? I guess you missed it because you were probably talking while the announcement was being made. Folks, please "SHUT THE .........," ummm, that's too harsh. How's this? "PLEASE BE QUIET DURING THE MOVIE." And don't get me started on turning off your cellphones. Am I the only one who experiences this?

OK, I'm taking a deep breath and reciting my mantra! Serenity now, Serenity now! :smiley: There's lots worse problems in the world than this, but this one could be so easily fixed.

I am thinking about taking my squirt gun the next time I go. I couldn't agree more.

TCGirl 08-31-2014 10:11 AM

Oh, I agree. Cell phones muted, and NO talking!

I have to say, too, how happy I am that this isn't another doggy gripe thread:-) I took the thread title too literally!

yabbadu 08-31-2014 10:14 AM

Quote:

AMEN to everything you stated!!!!!!!

Amen

Penguin 08-31-2014 10:20 AM

The question I would have to ask is " How did it come to this in the first place. " What happened for people to think it was ok to act this way. Sometimes, and a lot more these days, I just don't get it.

Serenoa 08-31-2014 10:58 AM

I agree as well, but you just need to realize that there are those that just can't stop talking......ever, no matter where they are.... at least not for very long. I know this because I was married to one, once.

The only circumstance where this is even more annoying is at a concert. Seems like every time we go there is always a chatty-kathy behind us talking about a cute purse she almost bought, or worse yet, singing along (and always off-key) with the artist that we paid big money to see & HEAR. More than once we've got up & moved, since it seems to be the policy these days for the ushers not to dare offend anyone by telling them to shut the @#%$ up.

edit: I should add that it's not always women talking at concerts. A few years ago at a Bonnie Rait concert two men behind us were all fired up about "deer huntin" season almost being here. Needless to say we were thrilled to be informed.

Stitcher girl 08-31-2014 11:20 AM

I so agree.people have become so rude......
I have been to concerts in TV at the Savanna Center where people have commented quite loudly how they are disappointed in the entertainment and got up and walked out. They did not wait for the music to stop or for a break in the performance. They just got up and walked down the balcony stairs(which are quite noisy) grumbling all the way. It is something I have never experienced before and it baffles me.

jebartle 08-31-2014 11:41 AM

Please Please Please Gracie

Can I go with you....I'll bring my camera....giggle, giggle, snort, snort...That would be so much fun, almost as good as a food fight in grade school.

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 931026)
I am thinking about taking my squirt gun the next time I go. I couldn't agree more.

RErmer 08-31-2014 11:49 AM

Quote:

:agree: Do you feel better now that you've vented? And, I want to see Gracie with her squirt gun :clap2:

Bogie Shooter 08-31-2014 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penguin (Post 931036)
The question I would have to ask is " How did it come to this in the first place. " What happened for people to think it was ok to act this way. Sometimes, and a lot more these days, I just don't get it.

When they dropped out of school!

boomerbaby 08-31-2014 02:18 PM

another pet peeve...talking during a movie

I agree with you. When the cell phone keeps being checked and so you have the light from that and the talking drives me crazy and often times the person is hard of hearing so its a very loud conversation. Do not even get me started when they start kicking the back of my seat. Once or twice I can let go by but the whole movie. I will turn around and look at them but it continues. I have even asked them nicely not to kick my seat. Too many times I have just gotten up and changed my seat. I should not have to do that and sometimes the place is full so there are no seats. If people would just be considerate it would be a much nicer experience. Just venting.

Abster 08-31-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomerbaby (Post 931140)
I agree with you. When the cell phone keeps being checked and so you have the light from that and the talking drives me crazy and often times the person is hard of hearing so its a very loud conversation. Do not even get me started when they start kicking the back of my seat. Once or twice I can let go by but the whole movie. I will turn around and look at them but it continues. I have even asked them nicely not to kick my seat. Too many times I have just gotten up and changed my seat. I should not have to do that and sometimes the place is full so there are no seats. If people would just be considerate it would be a much nicer experience. Just venting.

Sadly, some people just don't know any better.

graciegirl 08-31-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abster (Post 931160)
Sadly, some people just don't know any better.

And some people don't give a damn about anyone but themselves.