Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Landscape Talk (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/)
-   -   Weed Control (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/landscape-talk-129/weed-control-12693/)

Bella 03-26-2008 08:50 PM

Weed Control

We closed on a 3 bedroom courtyard villa last Friday :hot: - unfortunately, we can not move to TV until next year :'(. I think I have everything under control except for weed control - the villa has no grass, only pine straw and plants and shrubs both front and back. I can not find a company that will do just weed control - any suggestions?
We live about 6.5 hours away, so coming down every month to weed is not an option.
Eventually we will get rid of most of what is there, but for now, it stays.

On a different note - we kept telling my husbands brother about the villages (he lives in Deland, Fl) - don't think he believed everything we told him until he came to see the house last Saturday - was so impressed with the whole village concept that he is thinking about buying even though he just bought a townhouse in Deland 15 months ago...The villages will do that to you...

Muncle 03-26-2008 09:26 PM

Re: Weed Control

Bella,
Congrats on your new house. Re weeds, you could do what I've done. I had a small, official-looking sign made up that reads

Native Wild Flowers
Do Not Mow

Nobody seems to care much and I got an award from the Village Greens.

Barefoot 03-26-2008 10:30 PM

Bella:

I also have a CYV, and I just replaced my mulch with 11 tons of river rock. Guess what .. the weeds are still growing!! :barf: I am using vinegar to kill the weeds, and it is working. Still, if you're not around, this obviously isn't an option.

I have the name of a weed person. If you would like to have the name, please send me a PM.

Hyacinth Bucket 03-26-2008 10:33 PM

Muncle - loved your sign. And you won an award also.

Tried buying specific wild flowers, but were unable to do so.

HB

renielarson 03-26-2008 11:40 PM

We had a company put down a mesh barrier first, then river rock on top. NO WEEDS!

I'd recommend this hands down...our Zoysia grass was overtaking the landscaping and the mesh barrier solved the problem.

Barefoot 03-27-2008 03:28 AM

We do have a mesh barrier under our river rock. The weeds appear around the border, between the sidewalk and the river rock. I'm now a big fan of vinegar and it seems to do the same job as round up! Much less expensive, and I'm sure more environmentally friendly.

Hyacinth Bucket 03-27-2008 07:23 AM

Barefoot, thank you for that suggestion. I think I will buy a gallon jar of vinegar.

HB

Barefoot 03-27-2008 01:24 PM

Weeds

Catherine Smiths Weed Free Beds
Licensed Spray Tech
352-455-1889

She used to work for Bates Exterminating and did a good job for them. She has now started her own company. Haven't used her myself yet.

Bella 03-27-2008 01:32 PM

Everyone is always so helpfull...

Thanks

renielarson 03-27-2008 09:16 PM

Thanks Barefoot.

I'm keeping Catherine Smith's number handy. Although I don't have weeds like I used to I have to admit I get them like you...where beds meet sidewalk and between the sidewalk cracks.

l will give this new company a call in about a week when I'm there for spring break.

samhass 03-29-2008 03:52 AM

So I should stop using Agent Orange?

nanci2539 07-20-2008 12:06 PM

This may be late in coming but the natural way to kill weeds is to sprinkle table salt, wet and in a few days, the weeds are dead and can then be easily pulled. It's a slower process but much better than using chemicals.

redwitch 07-20-2008 12:40 PM

And you might consider using me -- I do the weeds for a couple of snowbirds and even some locals. I use a mixture of vinegar, salt and detergent for my spray but pull most by hand and then spray (better weed control that way).

JohnN 07-20-2008 12:43 PM

I think samhass suggested Preen on another board. I bought some from Home Depot and sprinkled it just a few days ago, says it lasts 90-120 days, we'll see.

Hyacinth Bucket 07-21-2008 01:02 AM

Hi, I accidentally deleted an email I received. The question was about the Lawn and Garden service that we have.

We do not have a contract with her for any of the services she does. When we are in TV we do, what she normally does.

There are no annual contracts for weeding - cost is $10 per month

Pest control is $20 per month

Pruning, trimming and clean up is billed at $40 per hour, but you are charged in 15 minute increments.

Fertilizer application is based on actual quantities used.

They all sell trees and plants. I found the cost of there plants lower than in some of the nurseries I visited while in TV.

Fernview Farm - Sandra and James Harrison
352 245 7905 email fernviewnursery@aol.com

i think she has been invited to speak this November at the Garden Clubs - one in Hacienda Center.

Hope this helps.

HB