Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Baseball (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/baseball-330/)
-   -   Derek Jeter Great???? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/baseball-330/derek-jeter-great-127952/)

Bosoxfan 09-23-2014 09:07 PM

Derek Jeter Great????

Keith Olbermann: Derek Jeter Not Greatest Shortstop Who Ever Lived (Video) | New York Yankees | NESN.com

redwitch 09-24-2014 05:01 AM

Gotta love Olberman. He certainly got this right.

PaPaLarry 09-24-2014 06:43 AM

Olberman?????? Now why would I want to listen to him? All he does is find "fault" with people, so he can be controversial, and think he has the top news story of the day. H e was kicked off the regular news program he was doing, and now he has just sports. Lets face it, Derek Jeter was a great ball player, and he's going out with class, just like Brooks Robinson, and other great class ball players. What he did for his team, is what really counts, and not what some low class sports announcer says!! I respect all good hustling ball players.

redwitch 09-24-2014 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaPaLarry (Post 943057)
Olberman?????? Now why would I want to listen to him? All he does is find "fault" with people, so he can be controversial, and think he has the top news story of the day. H e was kicked off the regular news program he was doing, and now he has just sports. Lets face it, Derek Jeter was a great ball player, and he's going out with class, just like Brooks Robinson, and other great class ball players. What he did for his team, is what really counts, and not what some low class sports announcer says!! I respect all good hustling ball players.

Did you listen to what Olbermann said? He never denied that Jeeter is a great player, just that he's not the greatest. Not of all time, not even of the Yankees. Jeeter will make the Hall of Fame because he has earned it and it will be well-deserved. That doesn't make him the greatest, but does make him one of the greats.

2BNTV 09-24-2014 07:27 AM

I found Keith's rant hilarious! Another ESPN gasbag, who needs the ratings as when he gets fired, he won't get a farewell tour. He should have mentioned Jeter led the league in dating, beautiful women. A classless essay, to back up his assertions.

A balllplayers greatness is measured by statistics, for most of the baseball fans. How about the intangibles Jeter has brought to the game. Having a champions heart and leading by example. He beat out a infield hit last night by hustling to first base. Something that Robbie Cano would never do. A- Rod had better stats at one point, but he never challenged Jeter for what he brought to the game and being classy.

Jeter is 6th for the most career hits and that's passing an awful lot of ballplayers, that have played the game!!! Playing 20 years is an accomplishment, that a lot of ballplayers would have wanted to have.

Jeter is a class act, unlike Obermann. Shame on you Keith for putting out such trash!

KathieI 09-24-2014 08:01 AM

I'm sure ya'll have seen the new Jeter commercial, its all over the internet. I didn't know anything about him but saw this video and flipped out. What a class act so I researched more and I wish more sports heros were as dignified, well mannered, loved their sport and the people that support him. I fell in love with this young man and wish more famous people would follow his lead. He is adored by his fans and rightly so.

Seriously, I never heard of the guy before but I think he's the best!!! OK, it might be a "Bronx" thing, but I wish he were my son!!!

CFrance 09-24-2014 08:30 AM

He is the quintessential role model. He deserves every accolade attributed to him. And I am no Yankees fan.

Rags123 09-24-2014 09:55 AM

To whom is he responding or was this simply another of his "hate" rants which he is good at.

I mean, what might be the motivation to just try to tear down a man who has played the game with character....just cannot figure out WHY anyone would do this.

saratogaman 09-24-2014 10:49 AM

Yet another negative rant from the guy who gets the midnite time slot on ESPN's secondary channel. Who cares...or listens?
Jeter is a classy guy...Olberman clearly is not.

ugotme 09-24-2014 11:14 AM

yay to all

jeter = class

Bosoxfan 09-24-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugotme (Post 943202)
yay to all

jeter = class

No one is debating that he's a classy guy! The debate is how people have this guy on a pedestal for his accomplishments on the field. His heart can't be measured but stats don't lie when you're speaking facts.Defensively he was an average shortstop if not below average.His offense was average at best.! Sorry if all don't put him on a pedestal just because he's a class act.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 09-24-2014 11:58 AM

Olberman has done several hate pieces on Jeter in the past. I think that the doesn't like the fact that Jeter hasn't produced a lot of off the field or in the clubhouse scandals for him to write about.

As a life long Red sox fan I have to say that Derek Jeter is certainly one of the greatest players that I have ever seen. He has also been a total class act for his entire career.

Olberman, who would probably not make the top 100 sports commentators in history turned that fact into a negative in one piece that he did on Jeter.

Olberman was originally a sports commentator and then he turned to politics. He was so bad, so biased and so divisive that even one of the most biased news networks in existence fired him. He's not much better as a sport commentator. All he does is stir up hate and divisiveness.

Come to think of it, he's probably not in the to 100 broadcasters in history. I honestly don't know why he's on television at all. I can't stand watching the guy and I know a lot of people that feel the same way.

Derek Jeter on the other hand is admired by millions of sports fans all over the country. He has been honored by every team in baseball during this, his last season. Olberman hates this fact. He can't stand to ever see anything good happen.

Rags123 09-24-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 943219)
No one is debating that he's a classy guy! The debate is how people have this guy on a pedestal for his accomplishments on the field. His heart can't be measured but stats don't lie when you're speaking facts.Defensively he was an average shortstop if not below average.His offense was average at best.! Sorry if all don't put him on a pedestal just because he's a class act.

Simply explain to me, please, WHY he is saying what he i saying and why you are also.

Did someone call him the greatest ? And if so, so what.

I just do not understand his rant, for no reason at all, and your trying to support him along with another poster.

What exactly is your point...his point ? Is this just a case of some kind of inherent nastiness ?

For the life of me, I cannot understand what motivates you folks to just hate on someone when he is leaving......will not even debate the stats or anything...that is, of course, open to debate.

BUT TO SIMPLY WANT TO BRING SOMEBODY DOWN FOR NO REASON IS JUST BEYOND ANYTHING.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 09-24-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwitch (Post 943060)
Did you listen to what Olbermann said? He never denied that Jeeter is a great player, just that he's not the greatest. Not of all time, not even of the Yankees. Jeeter will make the Hall of Fame because he has earned it and it will be well-deserved. That doesn't make him the greatest, but does make him one of the greats.

And who other than Jose Posada said that Jeter was the greatest player, shortstop or Yankee ever?

Posada gave his opinion and Olberman jumped on that to give another one of his hate filled rants.

Who can ever say who was the greatest at anything in any sport? There are very few cases where the answer is very clear cut. In most cases they'll be disagreement. Suffice to say that Jeter was one of the greatest.

Who would list Olberman as one of the greatest in any category? In fact I'd love to see a list of Olberman's stats and accomplishments. What has he ever really accomplished other than putting other people down?

redwitch 09-24-2014 01:42 PM

I agree that Jeter is a class act and seems to be an all-around good guy. I've certainly enjoyed seeing him play but I've never quite understood the adulation. But, then, I've never really understood the adulation of any sports figure unless they've done something truly remarkable off the playing field.

I know little about Olberman, so had no clue he was just one of those hate mongers. I just happened to agree with his stats about Jeter and the fact that Jeter deserves to be in the Hall of Fame but not rated as the greatest shortstop of all time (which I have heard said before).

And where, pray tell, did I say anything that was even remotely hateful to Jeter (other than misspelling his name, which is something I seem to consistently albeit inadvertently do)?

Thnonne 09-24-2014 06:20 PM

Keith Olbermann, look him up online, his personal athletic career consists of collecting baseball cards. He never laced them up! He is another example of today's sports media reporters who never even participated in sports but are experts on how the game should be played and who should be playing. Look these sports reporters up online and see how many of them actually participated in sports. He also thinks he is witty, I don't know who told him that, but they should rethink their opinion. If Jeter's fellow ballplayers think he deserves to be honored, I for one will agree with them, they should know, they have been there, Olbermann has not!!!

Pequot 09-24-2014 07:36 PM

I watch Jeter play several games each year. Now playing shortstop, number 2, Derek Jeter, number 2. Love watching him run and play catch before the game. It is ok to idealize someone, actually healthy; just realize he is a real person with myriad of positives and negatives, like anyone else. People who do not realize the need to idealize are small, sad people.

Hancle704 09-24-2014 07:51 PM

Keith Olbermann is still on TV?

Bosoxfan 09-24-2014 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags123 (Post 943238)
Simply explain to me, please, WHY he is saying what he i saying and why you are also.

Did someone call him the greatest ? And if so, so what.

I just do not understand his rant, for no reason at all, and your trying to support him along with another poster.

What exactly is your point...his point ? Is this just a case of some kind of inherent nastiness ?

For the life of me, I cannot understand what motivates you folks to just hate on someone when he is leaving......will not even debate the stats or anything...that is, of course, open to debate.

BUT TO SIMPLY WANT TO BRING SOMEBODY DOWN FOR NO REASON IS JUST BEYOND ANYTHING.

Nastiness? Hate? ? Where's this coming from? I personally believe he is a class act!

redwitch 09-24-2014 08:05 PM

Gee, I so love being called small and sad because I don't idealize (or did you mean idolize) a ball player and to be accused of inherent nastiness for daring to say Jeter deserves the Hall of Fame but not to be called the greatest shortstop of all time. NOT!!!!

I also don't see where it is required that a sportsreporter be required to be a former athlete. Sometimes the best writers and reporters have never participated in their area of expertise but have studied that field extensively and know enough to be able to write about it knowledgeably.

This is ridiculous. Neither bosoxfan nor I denied Jeter's talents. We just happened to agree that the hyperbole about his innate ability was just that -- hyperbole. Yes, he is great. Yes, he is truly a class act. No, he is not the greatest. His own stats prove that.

Now, where is anything said by me nasty, small or sad? Rags and Pequot, I sincerely think you two owe both bosoxfan and me an apology.

2BNTV 09-24-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 943219)

I agree to disagree with your points of view. Another RedSox fan dissing a Yankee because of their heated rivalry. :ohdear:

Some things just transcend baseball. Jeter started his Turn 2 Foundation in his first year of baseball to keep kids from getting addicted to drugs. One of the few ballplayers who gave back to the game. Another was Roberto Clemente. Another humanitarian and a class act, who was killed in a plane crash.

There are a lot of ballplayers who admire what he's done. He was never the greatest defensive shortstop but he did rate 6th on the all time hit leader list . Last time I looked, no one from the RedSox was above him.

I saw Ted Williams play and he was the greatest hitter I ever saw. I can only imagine what his final stats would have been, if he didn't lose 5 years in the service, due to WWII and Korea. A great american who transcended baseball. IMHO

BTW - Ted didn't have a love relationship with the press like Derek Jeter. It didn't diminish his accomplishments one bit.

Derek Jeter is immitated, but will never be duplicated. :smiley:

Rags123 09-24-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 943423)
Nastiness? Hate? ? Where's this coming from? I personally believe he is a class act!

My comments still stand.

WHAT motivation is there to post a negative tirade, or whatever it was (I did not listen to it..I just know his work from others of this type.

A teammate makes a comment, and an expected one. A professional hater fills up the airways with a totally unnecessary commentary...his right of course, BUT THEN some brings that here to start a thread. THAT is what I do not get. A thread on who folks think is the greatest....sure..that makes sense.

Starting a thread with this kind of obvious rhetoric makes no sense...I do not see WHY.

THAT is what upset me...not defending Jeter, or even trying to make a case for anything. I just do not get starting a thread like this as he retires.

Based on your screen name, I suppose some might think it is some sort of requirement...not sure, but my opinion is that it was a lousy, mean way to begin a discussion that you obviously wanted to center on Jeter. No aking for comments on HIM...you asked for comments on a trashing of him. THAT is what set me off.

If my comments are offensive, sorry. Starting a thread asking for discussion of negative comments IS NOT the same as beginning a thread to discuss the person, or who folks think is the best ss, or even asking if people think Jeter is the best.

Chi-Town 09-24-2014 08:59 PM

Ernie Banks SS--- - MVP in 1958 and 1959 for a 5th place team (Cubs). And a gentleman. Enough said.

Bosoxfan 09-24-2014 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags123 (Post 943427)
My comments still stand.

WHAT motivation is there to post a negative tirade, or whatever it was (I did not listen to it..I just know his work from others of this type.

A teammate makes a comment, and an expected one. A professional hater fills up the airways with a totally unnecessary commentary...his right of course, BUT THEN some brings that here to start a thread. THAT is what I do not get. A thread on who folks think is the greatest....sure..that makes sense.

Starting a thread with this kind of obvious rhetoric makes no sense...I do not see WHY.

THAT is what upset me...not defending Jeter, or even trying to make a case for anything. I just do not get starting a thread like this as he retires.

Based on your screen name, I suppose some might think it is some sort of requirement...not sure, but my opinion is that it was a lousy, mean way to begin a discussion that you obviously wanted to center on Jeter. No aking for comments on HIM...you asked for comments on a trashing of him. THAT is what set me off.

If my comments are offensive, sorry. Starting a thread asking for discussion of negative comments IS NOT the same as beginning a thread to discuss the person, or who folks think is the best ss, or even asking if people think Jeter is the best.

The reason I started this thread was to have a discussion.about a topic many have opinions about. I didn't start this to be hateful or felt I needed to because of my screen name. Baseball fans have long debated players abilities.

Gary7 09-24-2014 09:56 PM

Who is the last shortstop who has played at a "Jeter" level for about 20 consecutive years?

Plus put the "on and off the file" level there.
He may not be the best shortstop but he has been a consistent player on and off the field.

redwitch 09-25-2014 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary7 (Post 943459)
Who is the last shortstop who has played at a "Jeter" level for about 20 consecutive years?

Plus put the "on and off the file" level there.
He may not be the best shortstop but he has been a consistent player on and off the field.

Um, the Ironman? Honus Wagner? Ernie Banks?

Ozzie Smith (hand's down the best defensive short of all time -- and this comes from a Royals fan).

My list for greatest shortstop would be:

1. Honus Wagner
2. Cal Ripken, Jr.
3. Ozzie Smith/Derek Jeter

All class acts of their era. All great players. And I sincerely hope that Jeter is the first player to ever get into the Hall of Fame by unanimous vote. He deserves it (so did some others but that's another thread).

rubicon 09-25-2014 05:43 AM

Fans will always argue their case as to statistically who is or was the best player. However when it comes to Derek Jeter no one can argue that he was an exemplary model something that has been sorely missing from sports today

Gary7 09-25-2014 06:23 AM

That is a great short list, redwitch. Only a few. And I agree with the order that you have.

2BNTV 09-25-2014 07:49 AM

Article on CNN.

Are New Yorkers overreacting about Jeter? (Opinion) - CNN.com

collie1228 09-25-2014 08:47 AM

Olberman is a gasbag. Jeter is not the best ever, but he's in the conversation. He has always been a class act and is loved by teammates, opposition players and fans of all kinds, including some Red Sox fans. I'm going to miss him.

Rags123 09-25-2014 09:23 AM

First allow me to apologize again to the readers of this thread. My angst was because I do not like to start a conversation with a negative and have to prove it wrong, but the thread has turned away from that, thankfully.

As a baseball nut, I always have trouble comparing players of different eras. For example, Honus Wagner would be my choice for best all time shortstop but with the caveat that I do not know how he would fare with all the travel of today;s game nor the relief pitching that exists which does not allow for facing a pitcher who has a pitch count well into the 100's as with his day.

On the other hand, he played with a dead ball, a glove that was not geared as todays. So comparing of different eras is so difficult.

Jeter has a place in the discussion for sure. 20 years in NYC can sure be a help, but oh my can it ever be a hinderance, and he has handled those 20 years with such grace and class. With a LIFETIME BA of about .310 I am impressed. I think in this season there are less than 15 hitters over .300 FOR THE YEAR. It is not easy; I think hitting a baseball is just about the most difficult thing to do in professional baseball. We can add the ultimate to his resume....the world championships, but they are not won in a vaccuum and I understand that, but I am so impressed that only 5 other players IN HISTORY have as many hits as he does...that is so impressive.

Thus, as I said these discussions are fun and interesting to see what is taken into consideration by people when ranking players.

Again, I apologize but the OP was sort of a "left handed" compliment and one that, in my opinion, was totally unnecessary to any conversation.

PS....another not discussed stat that amazes me is that as of today only 12 men have been on base more than him....TWELVE...behind him in this stat are Mel Ott, Honus Wagner to name two and they played more years than Jeter. No matter what, an impressive, clean, classy career and he should be cheered. If he gets on base in the next 4 games, make that number 11 men instead of 12..he trails Ted Williams by 1. Williams, of course brings to mind when comparing different eras, the war time players who missed a lot of games to help fight the war.

saratogaman 09-25-2014 09:59 AM

Jeter showed up for work every day, even when hurt. Olberman was a frequent no-show on MSNBC whenever he got into a snit with management. Viva la difference!

Bosoxfan 09-25-2014 12:07 PM

Joe Cronin

Luis Aparicio

Phil Rizzuto

Omar Vizquel

Rags123 09-25-2014 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosoxfan (Post 943646)
Joe Cronin

Luis Aparicio

Phil Rizzuto

Omar Vizquel

All good players...all deserve respect, etc, but for me..the next 4 days are about Jeter..period.

Let's guess the next time we see a class act last for 20 years with the same team.

He deserves everything and more..for me, the debate can go rest. Tonight is about Jeter, and I am sure the Red Sox fans will do him justice this weekend

I was actually hoping this thread would be about him, but whatever.....talk about the others some other time.

CFrance 09-26-2014 07:27 AM

What a way to end your last game at home!

For all Jeeter fans, there is a very interesting timeline of his career here http://tinyurl.com/k2mfg3c

karostay 09-26-2014 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ugotme (Post 943202)
yay to all

jeter = class

:bigbow::super::bigbow::mademyday::clap2:

Chi-Town 09-26-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags123 (Post 943651)
I was actually hoping this thread would be about him, but whatever.....talk about the others some other time.

Take a look at post 31. You had two paragraphs on Honus Wagner. Just sayin'.....

Rags123 09-26-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Town (Post 944026)
Take a look at post 31. You had two paragraphs on Honus Wagner. Just sayin'.....

Not sure why certain posters are just simply looking for "trouble"

From post 31...

" For example, Honus Wagner would be my choice for best all time shortstop but with the caveat that I do not know how he would fare with all the travel of today;s game nor the relief pitching that exists which does not allow for facing a pitcher who has a pitch count well into the 100's as with his day."

That was pretty much what I said about Honus Wagner in total on that post and it was regarding the comparisons of shortstops.

I admit I said it, and I am a bad man for doing that. Hope you now are happy with "getting me".

Have a great day and I hope it improves from getting on a message board to do whatever you meant to do here.

Rags123 09-26-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 944000)

For all Jeeter fans, there is a very interesting timeline of his career here http://tinyurl.com/k2mfg3c

That was almost as if Hollywood had scripted it. Have you ever looked back at a game and relished a blown save ?

Taltarzac725 09-26-2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CFrance (Post 944000)

Thanks for posting that.