Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   How do we recycle newspapers and magazines? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/how-do-we-recycle-newspapers-magazines-130528/)

patmoran 10-21-2014 08:14 AM

How do we recycle newspapers and magazines?

What do we do with newspapers and magazines? Should we put them with the cans and bottles in the same clear bag??

villagetinker 10-21-2014 08:17 AM

Newspapers, phone books, cardboard, etc, are recyclable and go with the other stuff in the clear bags. I typically just box the newspapers in a leftover cardboard box.

Jdmiata 10-21-2014 08:58 AM

There are a number of charities around here that collect old newspapers . I go to St. Vincent's on 462. They have a large bin behind the church. It's a good way to make a donation and recycle too.

Lauren Sweeny 10-21-2014 09:02 AM

Today 's news paper ( Tuesday ) states the Villages High School Is having a recycling project collecting items. Check it out.

rosemm 10-21-2014 01:59 PM

You can also drop off newspapers at St Timothy Catholic Church. They have large bins in back of their lot. Proceeds go to St Vincent de Paul....as I was told.

jtdraig 10-21-2014 02:29 PM

As does the American Legion on Rolling Acres Road.

borjo 10-21-2014 04:06 PM

We take ours to New Covenant in the rear. I guess you take to the most convenient place depending where you live.

jnieman 10-21-2014 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patmoran (Post 955932)
What do we do with newspapers and magazines? Should we put them with the cans and bottles in the same clear bag??

Another thought would be to save the magazines. I have a stack on my coffee table. When we have guests I offer for them to take any they would like. Several of my friends go to the pool and love to get them. I also took several to a friend who is in a rehab center recently she was thrilled to get them. She only had one magazine to read. Then after a while I put the leftovers out for recycle.

casita37 10-21-2014 09:37 PM

When we purchased our home we went to an "orientation" (like 5 minutes) about how/what to do, including garbage and recycling. That was about 3 years ago. Do they still do that? It was a great wealth of info.

jblum315 10-22-2014 05:31 AM

I put newspapers and magazines in brown paper bags from the supermarket because I hate buying clear plastic bags for them.

joldnol 10-22-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casita37 (Post 956245)
When we purchased our home we went to an "orientation" (like 5 minutes) about how/what to do, including garbage and recycling. That was about 3 years ago. Do they still do that? It was a great wealth of info.

yeah but I was so excited that I forgot most of it an hour later.........

Bavarian 10-22-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 955935)
Newspapers, phone books, cardboard, etc, are recyclable and go with the other stuff in the clear bags. I typically just box the newspapers in a leftover cardboard box.

Single stream recycling! all goes in the clear bags.

rdhdleo 10-22-2014 01:46 PM

St. Marks on 42 by Mulberry Grove Animal Hospital also has 2 late containers for newspapers, the proceeds to to charity I believe. That's where we take ours.

Bonanza 10-22-2014 11:39 PM

The SPCA/Humane Society of Sumter County will take your newspapers. If you drop them off at either location of Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital (Pinellas Plaza is the closest location in the southern part of TV), they will be picked up.

Barefoot 10-22-2014 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonanza (Post 956794)
The SPCA/Humane Society of Sumter County will take your newspapers. If you drop them off at either location of Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital (Pinellas Plaza is the closest location in the southern part of TV), they will be picked up.

We always take our newspapers to Buffalo Ridge for the SPCA.
It's a little something we can do for our furry friends.
I also take old towels and comforters; anything for the crates to make life for the shelter dogs a little more comfortable.