Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Golf in The Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/)
-   -   I have found the conditions of the championship courses to be much better. (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/golf-villages-216/i-have-found-conditions-championship-courses-much-better-130933/)

waynet 10-25-2014 07:07 AM

I have found the conditions of the championship courses to be much better.

I have found the conditions of the champioship courses to be much better. Played Glenview Monday, it was in very good shape. Played Hacienda Wednesday,it has never been better. I hope this trend continues.

tomwed 10-25-2014 07:54 AM

On the executives lately, the greens are looking a little seedy.
[get it?]

billethkid 10-25-2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 957922)
On the executives lately, the greens are looking a little seedy.
[get it?]

This has been a growing (no pun intended) problem for the last few years.
Yes the executive courses have a high volume of players, however the condition of the greens reflects plain and simple lack of proper maintenance. And it seems more prevalent on courses south of 466 than those north of 466.

JoMar 10-25-2014 02:21 PM

As I understand it they push to open the courses before they are really ready so it takes longer for them to achieve the quality we all want. If the waited longer they might be in better shape but there would be a golfers uprising. I'm concerned that they will take the same approach with Belle Glade....anyone remember the first years at Bonifay?

Bogie Shooter 10-25-2014 02:49 PM

Mostly hearsay......................

fred53 10-25-2014 06:12 PM

It's not a problem....

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 957948)
This has been a growing (no pun intended) problem for the last few years.
Yes the executive courses have a high volume of players, however the condition of the greens reflects plain and simple lack of proper maintenance. And it seems more prevalent on courses south of 466 than those north of 466.

if it happens about the same times year after year. Right now(as it happened last year)it's time for the winter rye grass oversowing. They sow it, they water, it grows. It takes time for it to mature to the point where they can mow it to any consistency.

Now if you'd rather play on dormant bermuda grass(100% of all tee, fairway, rough and greens grass)then let them know, but you won't be happy then.

Patience.

dbussone 10-25-2014 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynet (Post 957894)
I have found the conditions of the champioship courses to be much better. Played Glenview Monday, it was in very good shape. Played Hacienda Wednesday,it has never been better. I hope this trend continues.

I have to agree. I think the condition of the championship courses is far superior to last year. The rain has certainly helped, but maintenance has been a factor also. The next time you are out there thank a mower or other worker for providing a beautiful environment for us.

waynet 10-25-2014 07:02 PM

played Mallory today....found the conditions very good. I hope this is a trend.

golf2140 10-25-2014 09:40 PM

Cool evenings warm days= great growing weather. It happens every year at this time !!!!

tttgolfer47 10-31-2014 11:34 AM

I am just hoping for consistent conditions in the Villages this year.
There's always only certain courses in good condition and then you have to hope that the course you are playing was not recently overseeded or aerated...
I'd like to see where all the courses are on a similar schedule and the greens perfect.
This time of year the greens are usually much slower than other fl courses outside the villages...

waynet 11-03-2014 06:25 PM

Cane Gardin was awful today.

fred53 11-03-2014 08:49 PM

And how would they make them consistent?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tttgolfer47 (Post 961335)
I am just hoping for consistent conditions in the Villages this year.
There's always only certain courses in good condition and then you have to hope that the course you are playing was not recently overseeded or aerated...
I'd like to see where all the courses are on a similar schedule and the greens perfect.
This time of year the greens are usually much slower than other fl courses outside the villages...

As long as a course has fairly consistent greens then it's all good. As for all courses being consistently the same...you don't know agronomy.

fred53 11-03-2014 08:53 PM

If "awful"....

Quote:

Originally Posted by waynet (Post 962868)
Cane Gardin was awful today.

you mean the over seed is in progress and because of that things are a bit uneven and the Bermuda grass is going dormant so looks a bit sparse...then you are correct.

It happens every year. If you want great conditions then wait till it grows completely in and they've had time to mow it and roll it....otherwise come and play when you courses are uniformly great....that'd be in August and September.

Welcome to Florida and annual migration of the northern grouse....

waynet 11-04-2014 09:02 AM

no Fred I'm first talking about getting delayed on every hole by the sprinklers on Hibiscus yesterday. I see no reason to get wet and delayed on every green at 9:30 in the morning. As for great conditions some of you talk about, I have been playing these golf courses for 5 years now and the word great rarely is used for these golf courses. At times they are very good, but not enough of the time. Most of the time they are OK for lack of a better term. cane which is my favorite layout seems to have more problems than other courses. It is rarely in very good shape,never great and most of the time very ordinary. To me its quite obvious that my standards for great are much higher than some other posters.

karostay 11-04-2014 09:10 AM

Played Orange Blossom Friday Hats off :bigbow: great job on the make over

Played Glenview Monday greens were horrible