Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Tommy rant. Yo God (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/tommy-rant-yo-god-133410/)

Tom Hannon 11-22-2014 12:56 PM

Tommy rant. Yo God

A friend of mine,June Kempf" wrote a wonderful memoir about her special needs son. "Yo God! Jay's Story" has been banned in a public school because of "God" being mentioned in the title. To some it is politically incorrect.

It is so sad what is happening to this country. Pretty soon "In God we Trust" will be removed from all currency and "God Bless America" will not allowed to be sung. And what next. Will Santa Claus be arrested for being an imposter? This country is doomed. Glad I am in my final third of my life and I won't be alive to see the total destruction awaiting us.

casita37 11-22-2014 01:05 PM

Public schools are supported by ALL people, Christians and non-Christians, so not sure why anyone would think it's "politically correct" to ban religion in school. It's just proper. Christians had dominance for many, many years. There are a lot of different beliefs, and tax dollars should not support one over the other.

Teach your kids at home, take them to the church of your choice, send them to a private, religious school. Don't put the responsibility on the public, tax supported, schools. Oh, and it's the law!

dbussone 11-22-2014 01:47 PM

The separation of church and state refers to creation of a state sponsored religion or official religion. It does not prohibit various interactions between governmental agencies and independent religious organizations. Unfortunately political correctness has bred a climate of inappropriate reaction. Oh, and it's not the law. For example schools are allowed to offer space for Sunday church, under the same rules allowed for other organizations...unless a state or other governmental entity has precluded such by policy or legislation.

rubicon 11-22-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 971585)
The separation of church and state refers to creation of a state sponsored religion or official religion. It does not prohibit various interactions between governmental agencies and independent religious organizations. Unfortunately political correctness has bred a climate of inappropriate reaction. Oh, and it's not the law. For example schools are allowed to offer space for Sunday church, under the same rules allowed for other organizations...unless a state or other governmental entity has precluded such by policy or legislation.

Well stated dbussone. i am sick of that lame excuse atheist are intent on stripping God loving people of their inalienable rights

casita37 11-22-2014 02:29 PM

"Oh" (I caught that.), I still say one religion should not stand out over others in a tax supported education. I also think the "political correctness" excuse gets a bad rap. Seems whenever an old, outdated or biased, belief draws attention, people like to play the politically incorrect card. There is nothing incorrect about treating all people fairly and equally.

quirky3 11-22-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casita37 (Post 971602)
"Oh" (I caught that.), I still say one religion should not stand out over others in a tax supported education. I also think the "political correctness" excuse gets a bad rap. Seems whenever an old, outdated or biased, belief draws attention, people like to play the politically incorrect card. There is nothing incorrect about treating all people fairly and equally.

Yes! Exactly! Some people do play the "politically incorrect card" in bizarre ways to excuse their own bias. VERY tired of that. And I totally agree that there is nothing incorrect about treating all people fairly and equally.

onslowe 11-22-2014 02:36 PM

[QUOTE=dbussone;971585]The separation of church and state refers to creation of a state sponsored religion or official religion. It does not prohibit various interactions between governmental agencies and independent religious organizations. Unfortunately political correctness has bred a climate of inappropriate reaction. Oh, and it's not the law. For example schools are allowed to offer space for Sunday church, under the same rules allowed for other organizations...unless a state or other governmental entity has precluded such by policy or legislation.[/QUOTe

Exactly and thank you dbussone for reminding all of us, including those who want religious thought and expression banished from our country.

If anyone wants to see examples of tortured thinking and embarassing misuse of history, logic and jurisprudence, take a good look at the string of Supreme Court cases involving prayer in schools, released time bussing and so on.

The stance complained about by the OP is completely dishonest and improper, not proper. It's the 'law' is a facile and perhaps smarmy way of ignoring the fact that our country got along just fine for over one hundred and fifty years without "it" being the law.

I agree fully with Tommy's last sentence.

Challenger 11-22-2014 02:59 PM

Government/ Religion

As with other "freedoms" and "rights", I would be willing to defend Americans with my life ,if necessary, in their practice of faith privately and in public.

I think however that our "governments" should play no part in the validation of any religion. Whether we like it or not we are a multi cultural, multi religion country , with many more atheist, agnostics , and deist, than you might imagine, where each has equal rights under law. To add symbols and references to specific religious sects creates a very slipery slope that will lead to more , rather than less divisiveness and resentment throughout this exceptional country.

I share religious celebrations with jewish, buddahists and christian friends in their private homes , temples ,churches , and other non government venues.

As I recall, "'in God we trust" was added to the pledge in the early 1950's and to currency only a few years before.

Yes , I am unsure who or what created the cosmos, but I support all who do good, show mercy, and kindness whatever their faith or lack thereof.

dbussone 11-22-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casita37 (Post 971602)

I'm not sure what makes an old or outdated belief no longer valid, other than someone calling them such. I still support and believe in the founding principles of our country. I may be old fashioned but I have 5 relatives who fought for these principles in the Revolutionary War. I don't believe it was to support political correctness.

bimmertl 11-22-2014 03:48 PM

If you look up the book on line and read some of the reviews it appears there are many references to the authors faith and the challenges she faced in raising her son while maintaing her faith. So while it's easy to say the book was allegedly banned in one school because it mentions God in the title, it appears there could be a lot more to it than just the title that resulted in the alleged banning at the unknown school.

onslowe 11-22-2014 03:50 PM

No matter how you cut it, political correctness is just another form of smiley faced fascism with the iron fist in the ever so velvet glove of Big Brother knows better than us.

Outdated? By what honest, not parroted criterion?

alwann 11-22-2014 04:27 PM

Hey, I know! Burn all books!

No book should be banned. Parents (and, I suppose teachers) may choose to shied young minds from some books, but let's never ban any.

Where does it end?

Go back and read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451

eweissenbach 11-22-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onslowe (Post 971631)
No matter how you cut it, political correctness is just another form of smiley faced fascism with the iron fist in the ever so velvet glove of Big Brother knows better than us.

Outdated? By what honest, not parroted criterion?

Would you be equally indignant if the school had banned "Heather has two Mommies", or Christopher Hitchens' "God is not Great"? Would that be political correctness, or protecting children from indecent ideas?

Walter123 11-22-2014 06:42 PM

Good Lord........

dbussone 11-22-2014 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 971727)
Good Lord........

Exactly. (Another lob.)