Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Move Recessed Power Outlet in Floor? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/move-recessed-power-outlet-floor-133451/)

jrdonn 11-23-2014 03:10 PM

Move Recessed Power Outlet in Floor?

Has anyone relocated the recessed power outlet in floor?

We (as many) have a recessed power outlet in the middle of our living room (tiled floor).
Ours is too close to our entertainment center when the sofa is in place to cover the outlet.
We would like it about 18 inches further away.

Has anyone done this? If so who did it and what would be the approximate cost?
Thank you in advance!

villagetinker 11-23-2014 09:02 PM

Wow, I would expect this to be expensive. The wires are in plastic conduit in the concrete slab. At a minimum I would expect a concrete saw (aka LOTs of dust) the cut a new trench for the new conduit and hole for the new box. NOTE: the existing box cannot be removed as there would be a junction there, so at a minimum you would need to have a removable cover plate over the junction box.
We were able to locate flat extension cords that allowed the existing box the be covered with furniture and not interfere with the cords.
A licensed electrician may have other options, but I expect this will be s dirty and expensive process.
These are just my thoughts, and I hope they help. Good luck with your project.

Bogie Shooter 11-23-2014 09:16 PM

Here are some examples that will work.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hide...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

2AFRetSNCOs 11-24-2014 11:20 AM

We wanted a floor outlet installed and contacted 3 companies to provide quotes and a brief description of how they would do the work. Knowing that the concrete dust would be an issue, we asked each company how they dealt with the mess. Won't go into detail on the responses or quotes, but will provide a recommendation for Galaxy Home Solutions @352-748-4868. They did a good job and the dust was minimal. For all work (electrical, cutting, supplies) price was ~$600.00

jimbo2012 11-24-2014 12:18 PM

First there is no dust, you have them use a wet saw, having a wet/dry vac remove a few quarts of water.

the existing hole can be used as a junction and recessed into the floor never to be seen, with a new tile in place.

the cutting is about $150, guess two hours labor for elec. 200.

Then tile work $100

not cheap but doable,

I added one myself not all that hard to do.

mulligan 11-24-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbo2012 (Post 972309)
First there is no dust, you have them use a wet saw, having a wet/dry vac remove a few quarts of water.

the existing hole can be used as a junction and recessed into the floor never to be seen, with a new tile in place.

the cutting is about $150, guess two hours labor for elec. 200.

Then tile work $100

not cheap but doable,

I added one myself not all that hard to do.

FYI-burying a junction box under tile is not up to electrical code. Wiring junctions must be accessible.

Rickg 11-24-2014 03:36 PM

:agree::agree:
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 972351)
FYI-burying a junction box under tile is not up to electrical code. Wiring junctions must be accessible.

Very BAD idea to cover any junction box! Put a round blank cover over it.

jimbo2012 11-24-2014 05:31 PM

ok...

villagetinker 11-24-2014 08:51 PM

Mulligan is correct, if the junction is covered and not accessible, it is not legal. This goes for boxes in walls, etc, these must be accessible.

If you are looking at someone that suggests this option RUN and quickly.

dbussone 11-24-2014 08:54 PM

Wow. Wasn't planning this and won't be doing it.

philnpat 11-25-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by villagetinker (Post 972543)
Mulligan is correct, if the junction is covered and not accessible, it is not legal. This goes for boxes in walls, etc, these must be accessible.

If you are looking at someone that suggests this option RUN and quickly.

I cringed when I saw the option to cover up the junction box.
Thanks for including the fact that junctions cannot be covered up anywhere...including floors, walls and ceilings.