Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Internet in the villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/internet-villages-133598/)

tommy steam 11-26-2014 08:45 AM

Internet in the villages

What company do you feel has the best , fastest ,Internet in the villages?

getdul981 11-26-2014 08:50 AM

Comcast, but the cost doesn't justify the service, for us anyway.

Biker Dog 11-26-2014 08:59 AM

Very Happy with Centurylink,

Topspinmo 11-26-2014 09:09 AM

Century link, due to it's fiber optics. But not available in some areas. I jut when through this. Sales not connected to what's actually available in the field. I would first see what's wired in your area. you my have no choice but Comcast.

At least for me I did get fiber optic run to my house after I found out it was available three house down the street. But didn't want to wait three to four weeks or more for the service. So if comcast breaks their contract by sneaking up the price I now have option.

Biker Dog 11-26-2014 09:12 AM

I would go back to dial up before I would use Comcast again.

getdul981 11-26-2014 09:33 AM

We had Comcast and the DL speed was more than 16 Mbs. We now have CenturyLink and the DL speed is only around 4 Mbs. The extra 12 Mbs aren't worth the additional expense.

fred53 11-26-2014 09:40 AM

If you are willing to pay extra then most providers can offer speeds that will likely exceed your needs(unless you have an online business or hobby that require excessive video)...as it is even the slowest speed by comcast will successfully allow streaming video with very few interruptions...

tuccillo 11-26-2014 09:52 AM

We are south of 466A and have Century Link fiber optic to the house. The nominal rate we have is 10 megabits/sec download and a bit less than 1 megabit/sec upload. I work from home and move some large files around and we also stream video from Netflix and Hulu+. With Netflix, 3 megabits/sec is needed for HD so we have plenty of bandwidth. I can get a higher rate from Century Link but don't see the need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy steam (Post 973223)
What company do you feel has the best , fastest ,Internet in the villages?

Villager Audio Video 11-26-2014 10:22 AM

You can't beat Comcast for reliability, speed or price. Love them or hate them, their products are the best available.

New customers can get 25Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload performance service for $29 per month with no contract. With that service you can also get 62 channels (most in high definition) for free to all your TV's without paying for cable boxes in each room.

Call us for more information, we'll get you hooked-up.

snowbird22154 11-26-2014 01:08 PM

Have had BOTH and you DEFINATELY don't want Comcast!!
Century Link is the #1 Choice

Indydealmaker 11-26-2014 02:40 PM

We have Comcast and our download is 25-30mbps, upload 5mbps. However, it does fluctuate. I don't know whether that is the fault of the signal from Comcast or between our wireless router and the PC.

I would consider our current speed to be the minimum that I am willing to live with.

Indydealmaker 11-26-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VillagesAV.com (Post 973268)
You can't beat Comcast for reliability, speed or price. Love them or hate them, their products are the best available.

New customers can get 25Mbps download / 5 Mbps upload performance service for $29 per month with no contract. With that service you can also get 62 channels (most in high definition) for free to all your TV's without paying for cable boxes in each room.

Call us for more information, we'll get you hooked-up.

Tom, that 62 channels is high def or just digital?

What channels are included in those 62?

Can we get faster than 25mbps (higher fee) and still get the 62 included without contract?

cquick 11-26-2014 03:05 PM

I wish we could get wi fi in the squares.

Indydealmaker 11-26-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cquick (Post 973364)
I wish we could get wi fi in the squares.

Comcast has a hotspot at Lake Sumter Landing at the Japanese Steak house.
the name is xfinitywifi.

Have not tried it to see if it can be picked up at a distance from the restaurant. I think it would be free for Comcast customers.

Radioman41 11-26-2014 06:38 PM

Bright House is giving me download speed of 40.12 Mbps and upload speed of 2.38 Mbps under their basic package. I have been very satisfied with their customer service.