Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Keep up the good work Florida......... (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/keep-up-good-work-florida-138115/)

dewilson58 01-05-2015 12:07 PM

Keep up the good work Florida.........

Red-Light Running Crashes Continue to Decrease in Florida

TEMPE, AZ--(Marketwired - January 05, 2015) - The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles' (DHSMV) recently released third annual Red-Light Camera Summary Report analyzed data from 68 police agencies in the cities and towns in Florida where red-light safety cameras are deployed. The report shows a decrease in red-light running violations and crashes at intersections with red-light safety cameras and is consistent with results from previous state reports affirming the effectiveness of this important law enforcement tool. Total violations decreased 14 percent from the 2013 study.

The primary goal of red-light safety cameras, however, remains improved traffic safety, and this year's DHSVM report provides many examples for improvement in Florida, the third-most dangerous state in the nation for red-light running fatalities.

Bogie Shooter 01-05-2015 12:14 PM

The law was all most watered down last year, look for another attempt this year.
State Senate puts brakes on red light camera repeal | The Miami Herald

KayakerNC 01-05-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 990634)
The primary goal of red-light safety cameras, however, remains improved traffic safety

And, if you believe that I have some waterfront property for you to consider.

Florida's annual red light camera report downplays crash stats

janmcn 01-05-2015 02:22 PM

When will we see red-light cameras in The Villages?

Chi-Town 01-05-2015 02:57 PM

In the Chicago area when the light turns green count to three and then go. Saves a lot of t-bones. Not too bad of advice here too.

tomwed 01-05-2015 03:12 PM

You mean like this
click here

dbussone 01-05-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 990712)

I believe we will see far fewer - maybe even none. A FL court recently ruled red light cameras are not legal because the fines are issued by the manufacturer rather than a governmental agency. One municipality recently allowed the manufacturer to contract with a toll authority to get around the ruling. This arrangement may not last long.

NYGUY 01-05-2015 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by janmcn (Post 990712)

Hopefully never!!

Miles42 01-05-2015 04:58 PM

Not a problem at all if you do not run red lights then you should have no objections. If you do then you should not be driving or just pay the fine and keep quiet.

dbussone 01-05-2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles42 (Post 990801)
Not a problem at all if you do not run red lights then you should have no objections. If you do then you should not be driving or just pay the fine and keep quiet.

I try to obey traffic signals and other traffic signs. However, illegal works both ways. The use of these cameras was declared unconstitutional as early as 2012. Their continuing use is a violation of our rights. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Just another effort by governments to generate more revenue, aka taxes.

P.S. I've not been fined and I am in Orange County fairly frequently.

Miles42 01-05-2015 11:58 PM

I fail too see how this generates more revenue if one does not run the light?

Bogie Shooter 01-06-2015 07:55 AM

What about my rights of not being killed by a red light runner?

memason 01-06-2015 07:58 AM

They should replace all those intersections with round-a-bouts...

Problem solved!

Walt. 01-06-2015 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles42 (Post 991028)

They added several of these cameras in the city I moved from.
The manufacturers got to keep a percentage of the fine money collected.
More tickets means more money for everyone.
So... what happened is that the length of time from green to yellow to red was cut. If you were going the speed limit and the light turned yellow you had to slam on the brakes or risk going through a quick red light. Of course, slamming on the brakes increased the risk of being rear-ended. So, sometimes going through the yellow/red was the least risky choice.
I was lucky enough not to have gotten a ticket. More sudden stops than I liked though.

http://time.com/3505994/red-light-ca...blems-tickets/
N

dbussone 01-06-2015 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles42 (Post 991028)

What happens is they significantly reduce the timing of the yellow light. As a senior, many of us have reduced reaction times. Et voila, you now have a ticket.

So much for transparency in government. Don't know about you, but if they need this type of revenue to support what they are doing, I think those politicians need reconsideration.