Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Restaurant Discussions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/)
-   -   Burke's Website - Not Helpful - No BBQ for us tonight (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/restaurant-discussions-90/burkes-website-not-helpful-no-bbq-us-tonight-138463/)

katezbox 01-07-2015 07:01 PM

Burke's Website - Not Helpful - No BBQ for us tonight

My husband and I had been wanting to try Burke's BBQ for some time. We don't eat out a lot, but tonight we really felt like some BBQ to get as takeout. The website says they are open until 8. My husband said he would call me when he was 20+ minutes away and I could call in the order. I called at 6:45 and asked to place a takeout order. I was asked if I could be there in 15 minutes as they close at 7. I said that my husband was on his way and could be there in 20 and that their web site says they close at 8. She said they close at 8 on Friday and Saturday. I told her that her website says they close at 9 on Friday and Saturday. She asked me again, could my husband be there in 15 minutes. I told her that I wasn't going to ask him to speed for the sake of some barbecue. I tried to not be snarky - but think that I failed. Of course, I could have gotten there in 15 minutes from Bonita, but the food would be that much colder when my husband got home. Also, I really don't want to support a business that won't stay open an extra 5 minutes to help a customer when their website gave the incorrect information. These folks are off our list.

Challenger 01-07-2015 08:24 PM

My experience is that most business websites have incorrect info. They put them up then no one does the maintenance

KittyKat 01-07-2015 10:38 PM

You didn't miss much. Their sauce is not regular, thick BBQ sauce; it is more like a marinade and Mom & I thought it had a peculiar taste. Too bad Oakwood Grill is not closer, although if it was, we would probably have more of a wait than we do now. :mmmm:

Miles42 01-07-2015 11:02 PM

I would not recommend the place. We tried it and would not return. Not the best BBQ by a long shot.

Phanatic Luvr 01-08-2015 12:10 AM

Have been there only once. I pass Burke's often and the parking lot is always empty. I hope they make changes in their business, as they are now sitting in a prime location with all the new homes coming soon. However, their BBQ needs to improve, as well as their seating area.

chuck90199 01-08-2015 08:30 AM

We've been to Burke's a couple of times in early afternoon and it just seemed... well, not outstanding. It wasn't bad... but it didn't seem special. Haven't been in maybe 6 months.

After yesterday's driveway social a small group of 8 of us went to Woody's in Wildwood. My wife and I were quite impressed with the service, and the food. Babyback ribs with the meat falling off the bone. Delicious. We'll certainly go back there.

The20Percent 01-08-2015 08:53 AM

We went there the first of last year and that was enough. I remember the sides being good but the bbq taste was bland. I think the sauces a bbq place uses will either make or break them. I like a spicy and/or hot sauce and they offered nothing of the sort, except possibly a packet of Texas Pete. I think this restaurant needs to experiment with the offerings and flavorings of its sauces.

Sandtrap328 01-08-2015 09:09 AM

Your best bet is to eat at Sonny's for pulled pork and at Oakwood for the absolutely best ribs!

begdeb 01-19-2015 10:41 AM

Don't waste your time or money on Burke. They have the worst sauce, watery and tasteless. Go to Oakwood or Sonny's. Another great place and not as crowded is Texas Stock yards in Fruitland Park.

MikeV 01-19-2015 01:27 PM

Burke's is a terrible place to eat. Try Woody's in Wildwood.

sunnyatlast 01-19-2015 02:25 PM

They're not too keen on TV residents viewed as 'intruders' by locals. Attitude can kill a business pretty darn quick.

I thought the ribs were cooked well and they were very meaty, but they need to invest in some $2 bottled Bullseye Original sauce. We 'intruders' like a zingy sauce that moistens the whole deal.

marianne237 01-19-2015 03:25 PM

I hate to see any business close, but if Burke's doesn't do something to improve their food and attitude of personnel, we could be seeing an empty building there. Shame.

redwitch 01-19-2015 03:39 PM

I used to really like going there. Folks were friendly, ribs were good, sauce was okay, sides were yummy. Now, it is hit n miss at best. Think the lack of business from the git go did them in. No golf cart accessibility makes a huge difference around here.

LndLocked 01-19-2015 05:03 PM

I tried Burkes 3 times and realllllllllly wanted to like it as I want small biz owners and "locals" to prosper. All 3 times I was less than impressed.

While golf cart accessibility is a dif advantage (and does help the marginal places survive) ... it does not seem to hurt the well run places (Oakwood, Fruitland Park Cafe, Rae Rae's)

Shimpy 01-19-2015 06:32 PM

We went there for breakfast when they first advertised they were serving it. After going in and getting a table we waited for 10 minutes and no one even poked their head out of the back room to see if there were any customers. We left and will never go back.