Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Talk of the Books (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/)
-   -   Have you read a classic lately? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/talk-books-126/have-you-read-classic-lately-138665/)

lpkshop 01-09-2015 09:20 AM

Have you read a classic lately?

My book group task is to suggest a classic. Any favorites?

graciegirl 01-09-2015 09:22 AM

I can't seem to enjoy rereading a book...or rewatching a movie.

TheVillageChicken 01-09-2015 09:26 AM

I read Evangeline at least once a year, but it is not an easy read. The reason it fascinates me is that it parallels my family's history.

I would say you can't go wrong with "To Kill a Mockingbird".

zcaveman 01-09-2015 10:41 AM

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott.

Z

LI SNOWBIRD 01-09-2015 10:50 AM

I as a lit major but somehow I missed a lot of "The Classics". I am going back and have started reading some of the ones I missed amid current popular fiction. The most recent was "Heart of Darkness". I would recommend "The Bell Jar" but not "The Picture of Dorian Gray" ( it had a 127 word sentence which did not advance the plot).

tomwed 01-09-2015 10:51 AM

I just reread The Godfather. I guess that's not a classic unless you're from NJ. And I used audible books as I was waiting around the airport back and forth to Denver over the Holidays. I could half listen and people watch because I knew it so well and audio books are a good way for me to pass the time.

michaelkir 01-09-2015 12:30 PM

In the last year I enjoyed reading

The Good Earth...Pearl Buck
The Count of Monte Christo.....Aleander Dumas

Taltarzac725 01-09-2015 12:33 PM

I sometimes listen to some of the Classics on books on tape while driving around the Villages.

The Bible is one of these. http://www.inspiredby.com/bibleexperience.shtml

rubicon 01-09-2015 12:58 PM

I have heard mention of the five foot shelve referring to the classics that can be purchased. does anyone know what this five foot shelve consists of and if it can still be purchased?

Loudoll 01-09-2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpkshop (Post 992785)

Middlemarch
George Eliot

DO NOT be intimidated by a 19'th C novel, it is very easy to read and the story becomes interesting very quickly. I love this book.

Loudoll 01-09-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVillageChicken (Post 992790)
I read Evangeline at least once a year, but it is not an easy read. The reason it fascinates me is that it parallels my family's history.

I would say you can't go wrong with "To Kill a Mockingbird".

I think I'll start doing this. I love Evangeline and remember vividly my first encounter with it..Wow. this is a good suggestion.

tomwed 01-09-2015 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD (Post 992817)
I as a lit major ................ ( it had a 127 word sentence which did not advance the plot).

Would you mind diagramming that 127 word sentence for me like Sister Jovita would do in the seventh grade?

Taltarzac725 01-09-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 992879)
I have heard mention of the five foot shelve referring to the classics that can be purchased. does anyone know what this five foot shelve consists of and if it can still be purchased?

The Harvard Classics had that Title at one time. They are online for free.

http://www.openculture.com/2014/03/t...ee-ebooks.html

Laurie2 01-09-2015 01:33 PM

Maybe consider reading Lady Chatterley's Lover. Controversial, scandalous, and even banned when published in the late 1920s. Those risqué scenes are rather tame by today's standards, though the very mention of the title makes the mind go straight to. . .:o. . .well, you know. . .

It has been a few years since I have read it, but when you asked the book club question, I thought about how interesting it could be to read and discuss it now.

Lots to talk about: Women's roles, then and now, and all that stuff in between. Class distinction. The characters. Lawrence's use of language. More things, too, that I can't think of right now.

Downton Abbey fans might enjoy reading about Lady Chatterley. It's about that time.

Well, good luck with whatever you choose. I think I have just talked myself into a Kindle download of Lady Chatterley's Lover. It's a classic, after all.

ylisa7 01-09-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lpkshop (Post 992785)

One of my goals this year is to read more classics. I came up with a list of classics I thought I would enjoy.

Right now I am reading The Bell Jar which is very good so far.

Others on my list:
The Secret Garden
Flowers For Algernon
Memoirs of a Geisha
To Kill a Mockingbird
A Prayer for Owen Meany
The Screwtape Letters
The Handmaid's Tale

Good luck.