Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Computer questions (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/)
-   -   IPhone classes (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/computer-questions-92/iphone-classes-138838/)

Grill Meister 01-10-2015 04:09 PM

IPhone classes

I am an IBM retiree and have no earthly idea about how to adequately use my IPhone apps that came installed with it. Is there a class that I can attend that will unveil the mysteries of the IPhone?

Also, I constantly receive:
"IPhone Not Backed Up
This IPhone hasn't been backedup. Backups happen when the IPhone is plugged in, locked and connected to WiFi."

Well, I know how to plug the sucker in.....I'm not certain about how to lock it, and I think...not sure....that it is connected to my WiFi. But every time I take it off charge, I receive the same stinking message.:Screen_of_Death:

Also, it keeps nagging me to sign in to iCloud asking for a password. I have never signed in to iCloud.....don't even know what iCloud is and why I would want to use it.

I would really love to find a class that I can attend........anyone know of one?:pray:

66vetter 01-10-2015 04:16 PM

Join the local Apple Club. Many classes and they have drop in meetings frequently to train or resolve individual issues. There is an online capability to ask for assistance. Just type in the Villages Apple Club.

Carla B 01-10-2015 04:40 PM

"iPhone I Class with Jim Stueber" at Lifelong Learning College, 352-753-3035.

Susan G 01-10-2015 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grill Meister (Post 993483)

Also, I constantly receive:
"IPhone Not Backed Up
This IPhone hasn't been backedup. Backups happen when the IPhone is plugged in, locked and connected to WiFi."

Well, I know how to plug the sucker in.....I'm not certain about how to lock it, and I think...not sure....that it is connected to my WiFi. But every time I take it off charge, I receive the same stinking message.:Screen_of_Death:

To lock the iPhone, quickly depress the button on the top right (You should hear a click) Also, when you finish a phone call, text, etc. press that button to turn the screen off, lock the iPhone and save power...also a good way to prevent "butt dials."
And yes, it is aggravating to get that message all the time.

Good luck!

Northwoods 01-10-2015 07:17 PM

If you have Verizon the store on 441 has free classes. You can call them to learn more.

simpkinp 01-10-2015 09:48 PM

Ipad club first Tuesday at Colony Cottage Rec Center. Info applies to iPhone, iPad, iPod. 1:30 pm, totally free but arrive early this time of year

GoldenHurricane 01-13-2015 03:44 AM

To buy an iPad Air 2 or an iPad mini 2 or 3 (Wi-Fi plus cellular on either, if needed??). I honestly do not know which size (or whether I need cellular with any device I buy), what then will be best suited for me.

I have an iPhone 5, so I can create my own Wi-Fi hotspot is what I've been told.

https://www.apple.com/ipad/

jrdonn 01-13-2015 07:45 AM

If you plan on using your iPad out and about frequently a mini is very nice to travel with. If you will primarily use at home the iPad Air is great around the house. That being said if you will only use your iPad occasionally away from home I would go with the larger iPad Air.

With all the wi-fi hot spots and the fact that you can create a hotspot with your phone you really don't need the extra cost of cellular.

Kahuna32162 01-13-2015 07:52 AM

Also consider getting the most memory possible when buying a new ipad. My first ipad was only 16 Gigs and I was constantly shuffling audio and video files on and off to make room when we travel. I purchased a new 60 Gig ipad this summer and it holds everything!

Villageswimmer 01-13-2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpkinp (Post 993611)
Ipad club first Tuesday at Colony Cottage Rec Center. Info applies to iPhone, iPad, iPod. 1:30 pm, totally free but arrive early this time of year

I attended this for the first time and it is excellent! The folks who run it are very knowledgeable and even stayed afterwards for individual questions. Go early. It was in the large room at Colony and filled to capacity.

Computer Corner 01-13-2015 11:22 AM

I have a book called "I phones for dummies" you welcome to have it-

Heath Duke

CFLGeek.com

SALYBOW 01-14-2015 10:28 AM

I get the Icloud message also. You can hit cancel and get out of it. I used to try to enter a password, which I never knew. Ignore it.

stiles53 02-17-2015 08:34 AM

My grandchildren are visiting this week, r there any activities or suggestions for 1 year olds
going on this week or weekend?