Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Should Places of Worship Be Tax Exempt? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/should-places-worship-tax-exempt-138965/)

Bonanza 01-11-2015 10:38 PM

Should Places of Worship Be Tax Exempt?

I've often seen places of worship throughout the country that are beyond grand. Obviously, I'm not speaking about the small neighborhood places, or even the even lesser noticed places where services are held in a rented store front.

I'm speaking about the ostentatious "architectural palaces" which are built with incredible stained glass windows, manicured landscaping and gardens, night-scape lighting, imported woods and stone . . . the list goes on as have the costs which range in the many millions. Many of these places are built in prime real estate areas where they are exempt from taxation.

What are your thoughts regarding places of worship being exempt from taxes?
If you believe they shouldn't be, how should they be taxed?

Monkei 01-11-2015 11:06 PM

The law which granted them the tax exempt status was given to them if they did not enter the world of politics, such as endorsing of not endorsing. Every year the church ignores the agreement ...

joldnol 01-12-2015 12:00 AM

no problem with the sanctuary/temple/mosque being exempt but I do have a problem with their other property being exempt. First Baptist of Jacksonville has a quarter of downtown (peripheral buildings, multiple multi-story parking garages, etc) Jax off of the tax rolls

gamby 01-12-2015 12:20 AM

No exemption

NO !

They make tons of money, this is called "INCOME" ; The term Income Tax comes to mind.

Maybe I'll become a Minister :)

onslowe 01-12-2015 05:26 AM

This ought to be a lively and 'fun' thread on a topic that can most certainly be talked about in a calm, non-agenda, and delightful way.

Someone was bored were they?

Bay Kid 01-12-2015 05:51 AM

Yes. Before we even discuss churches being exempt look at the NFL. Why are they exempt?

goldseekur 01-12-2015 05:57 AM

If there really was separation of Church & State, then the church ground ONLY should be exempt, not all their holdings. But as was stated in another post. The Church does NOT stay out of politics, and if it doesn't then it should NOT have exemption and pay like everyone else.

graciegirl 01-12-2015 06:40 AM

Shall we talk about all non profits? I don't like stuff that isn't what it is supposed to be. I don't like that Westboro Baptist Church. I do like St. Timothy's. Is that too big? Where do we stop with this stuff? Shall we talk about Bingo? Shall we talk about having to pay membership to a church? Now I can get into that discussion. I don't like Bingo in places of worship to make money. I don't like sushi.

BUT I REALLY don't like the tone of this at all. I do not like anti-religious anything just because you aren't religious. UNLESS the religion is out to slit your throat.

It just isn't how I was raised. If you are not religious, than don't be, but don't be a pot stirrer.

DougB 01-12-2015 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bay Kid (Post 994120)
Yes. Before we even discuss churches being exempt look at the NFL. Why are they exempt?

All the NFL team owners and players pay taxes. The NFL League Office doesn't because it is classified as a Trade Organization.

graciegirl 01-12-2015 06:43 AM

Dale Carnegie is rolling in his grave.

graciegirl 01-12-2015 07:54 AM

This is a direction TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...43212720ec13fc
Like · · Share

I am going back to bed and will get up later and try to be nice.

dbussone 01-12-2015 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkei (Post 994052)
The law which granted them the tax exempt status was given to them if they did not enter the world of politics, such as endorsing of not endorsing. Every year the church ignores the agreement ...

What "church" - you make it sound like all are the same.

Cedwards38 01-12-2015 08:48 AM

I don't think so. Seems like a lot of people living the high life through religious organizations. Not exactly what Jesus had in mind.

janmcn 01-12-2015 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joldnol (Post 994066)
no problem with the sanctuary/temple/mosque being exempt but I do have a problem with their other property being exempt. First Baptist of Jacksonville has a quarter of downtown (peripheral buildings, multiple multi-story parking garages, etc) Jax off of the tax rolls

The same can be said for all of downtown Clearwater which is owned by the Scientologists.

TheVillageChicken 01-12-2015 09:01 AM

The blame should not go to the beneficiaries, but rather to the benefactor.