Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Price of Groceries in Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/price-groceries-florida-139017/)

Greg Nelson 01-12-2015 05:31 AM

Price of Groceries in Florida

Food prices here are MUCH higher than up north in Minnesota. And I mean everything!

bonrich 01-12-2015 05:42 AM

We do agree! We are from NYS about 75 miles SW of Buffalo. Groceries here are a larger part of our monthly budget. What helps here is the lower gas prices.

Greg Nelson 01-12-2015 05:48 AM

gas is even higher! We are currently in Key Largo and it seems the further south the worst it gets. Bread, milk, eggs, meat and even oranges! The only thing cheap is labor..

jblum315 01-12-2015 06:42 AM

Of course grocery prices are higher. Florida is a third world country.

Topspinmo 01-12-2015 07:41 AM

Course they are higher in Key Largo. Everything shipped even further and they got you way down.:bigbow: I find Prices higher in the villages compared to where I came from. But, planned for that. Still cheaper to buy Groceries than eat out all the time. :popcorn:

CassieInVa 01-12-2015 08:14 AM

We agree. We just arrived from just outside Washington D.C. and food prices here are a lot more. Wondering what options we have in addition to Public and Winn Dixie.

NYGUY 01-12-2015 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Nelson (Post 994116)
Food prices here are MUCH higher than up north in Minnesota. And I mean everything!

So is the temperature....I will take that trade off anyday!!

rhsgypsylady 01-12-2015 08:29 AM

For those that complain that food, gas, etc. is higher than where they came from, then I say go back to where you came from. From where you came there was probably a state income tax; there is none in FL. One can't have everything. Be happy for what you've got - you could be living on the streets and not know where you next meal will come from.

texasfal 01-12-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CassieInVa (Post 994169)
We agree. We just arrived from just outside Washington D.C. and food prices here are a lot more. Wondering what options we have in addition to Public and Winn Dixie.

Addis and Walmart are cheaper.

texasfal 01-12-2015 08:30 AM

That's supposed to Aldi's.

fred53 01-12-2015 08:36 AM

Nah....things are pretty equal to Maine prices...

jbdlfan 01-12-2015 08:44 AM

If you shop wisely, watch the ads, use coupons, you can buy groceries just as cheap as up north. We buy at Publix for BOGO with coupons, buy much of our fresh stuff roadside or markets and buy meats when on sale. Of course, it takes time to plan and such, but well worth it.

tomwed 01-12-2015 08:47 AM

How much a week do you spent on food? This would not include alcohol or paper goods. According to the International Business Times the average American spends $43/week. If I read it correctly.
That's about what I spend but I buy cheaper cuts of meat and hardly any processed food.

tomwed 01-12-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CassieInVa (Post 994169)

Aldi's and Save A Lot
watch the sales at Fresh Market too

Wandatime 01-12-2015 09:01 AM

We use coupons and don't buy a lot of processed food. We spend about $100 a week on just food. That is for two people, three meals a day, and we rarely eat out when in Virginia. That is close to tomwed's $43 a week per person.

When we are in Florida, we eat breakfast, several times a week a late lunch at a restaurant for our big meal, because it is cheaper to eat out at lunch than dinner, followed by a tiny dinner, usually leftovers from lunch or an apple/nut butter or cheese/cracker combo.

Seems to cost about the same due to the changes in our eating patterns. That includes the restaurant ticket.