Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Blizzard of 78, 35 years ago (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/blizzard-78-35-years-ago-139054/)

Cisco Kid 01-12-2015 11:28 AM

Blizzard of 78, 35 years ago

1 Attachment(s)
And I had walk to school , 20 miles up hill in this.

dbussone 01-12-2015 11:33 AM

I cross country skied to work for 10 days.

billethkid 01-12-2015 11:40 AM

and it was just another snow storm that happens occasionally where ever it snows a lot.

There was no 24/7 sensationalism to warn us of the impending danger.

There was no magnifying by telling us how many millions of people who "will be" affected by the coming snows.

There were no reporters standing in the weather showing us how it was snowing, where ever.

We knew we had a lot of snow when we looked out the window in the morning.

And yes we were expected to get to school and go to work.

When I worked for GE way back when, their weather stance was.....we are always open and expect employees to try to get to work......most did.

Some day the latter generatons will be gone and then there will be only the totally uninformed bots who know only what is being fed to them by the 24/7.

There is a lot I like about the world we live in today. I totally and completely dislike the 24/7 folks treating we the people like uninformed dolts.....and that goes for more than just the weather.

PJUCTH 01-12-2015 11:48 AM

High School a friend died during the storm trying to shovel out his car. One of the teachers nephews. A week off from school. We were never the same kids again.

Beth P 01-12-2015 12:33 PM

It followed several other storms. We had so much snow we were sliding out of the second story dorm windows for the fun of it. Classes were cancelled for at least a couple of days.

TidalWalkers 01-12-2015 01:19 PM

Near Mansfield, Ohio a semi buried 3 days!

Was teaching at Crestview Schools at that time near Mansfield, Ohio. A semi-truck and the driver inside were buried and "lost" for 3 days on St Rt 13. A snowmobiler heard strange noises from under the snow and discovered the entire semi and driver safe! I traveled that road to school to Rt 545 and we were out of school for weeks. We all survived that storm that had no real warning....we didn't blitz the groceries prior to it and clear out all bread and milk! Great memories of a big storm! Haven't been in one that big since.....thank goodness! Love life here in The Villages....not venturing into "snow country" during the wintertime! :MOJE_whot:

Bonny 01-12-2015 01:27 PM

I remember later that year in the spring we had laid sod in our yard which had a pretty good slope to it. That night we had a horrible thunderstorm & our power went out so we took our 4 month old to my parents about 30 minutes away then hubby and I went back to our house. What an awful surprise to find all of our sod had slid into the street !! What a mess. Thank goodness we were the second to the last house on a dead end.
Not that it has anything to do with snow, but another bad storm that year. LOL

karostay 01-12-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cisco Kid (Post 994288)
And I had walk to school , 20 miles up hill in this.

I walked to school and home uphill both ways :1rotfl:

OBXNana 01-12-2015 07:06 PM

I was pregnant and due at any time. Instead of worrying, we walked about a mile to have dinner for our anniversary, and walked back home feeling like we were ready for anything. The little bugger decided to wait for the next snow storm that followed a couple weeks later in PA.

CFrance 01-12-2015 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 994295)
and it was just another snow storm that happens occasionally where ever it snows a lot.

There was no 24/7 sensationalism to warn us of the impending danger.

There was no magnifying by telling us how many millions of people who "will be" affected by the coming snows.

There were no reporters standing in the weather showing us how it was snowing, where ever.

We knew we had a lot of snow when we looked out the window in the morning.

And yes we were expected to get to school and go to work.

When I worked for GE way back when, their weather stance was.....we are always open and expect employees to try to get to work......most did.

Some day the latter generatons will be gone and then there will be only the totally uninformed bots who know only what is being fed to them by the 24/7.

There is a lot I like about the world we live in today. I totally and completely dislike the 24/7 folks treating we the people like uninformed dolts.....and that goes for more than just the weather.

I recall you had much the same reaction to an earlier storm up north this fall that caused many deaths and power outages, and caused other posters to recount other storm disasters. It really isn't just media blowup.

That winter of '78 was disastrous, and a coal strike to boot in western PA left a serious energy shortage. There were many power outages, auto accidents, deaths, and people holed up in their homes without being able to get out to get food. We personally had one car abandoned in a ditch at the top of our hill, and the other stuck in the ice at the bottom, with my husband dodging out-of-control cars trying to walk through two feet of snow back to home. This was before all wheel drive. And his large employer absolutely did not require everyone to be at work.

There is nothing to dismiss about sudden horrendous snowstorms. I remember having to abandon our van once in a freak November snowstorm and carry my toddler a mile and a half down a major road with no sidewalks to reach home. And Pittsburgh is all about hills. Your tough-it-out attitude is a slap in the face, IMO.

onslowe 01-12-2015 11:01 PM

I had an exciting time, but nopw it's very sad memories. I was a labor union attorney in NYC back then and our largest client, a Service Employees International Union local, was on a major demonstration and mass picket at the Twin Towers. New cleaning contractor came in having a very low bid and then laid off approximately two thousand union men and women office cleaners at the WTC. The protests were still allowed inside the concourse of the WTC which was very good because of the blizzard. At night though, some of the self lubricated troops 'boosted' some liquor bottles as the protest parade snaked around the concourse. They were arrested and our firm had to make sure all was according to Hoyle .

They were in cells at the bottom basement of the WTC. Unbelievable place. The police area looked like a massive audition for Hill Street Blues undercover roles! Truly scurvy looking characters - now I knew where the "bums" came from on my subway rides each day!

One group of arrestees (mostly Latino) were merrily playing cards with the cops. The cop in charge said "They're fine, and we'll be letting them go after the big crowd above us is gone. No heroes. Just nice and easy." The Latino guys smiled and waved at me and gave me thumbs up. Nice typical NYC common sense handling of matters.

I went out into the swirling blinding river side storm and caught a union business agent lying in the snow and firing a not home-made slingshot at the WTC windows, checking range and projectiles. He told me that was in case 'it' had to be raised up a few notches. I lied to him and told him a Port Authority cop saw him and asked me to give him an immediate 'cease and desist.' He did. Things never got to that point.

I went home that early morning feeling invigorated and self satisfied. I got on the Number 1 local at the station beneath the WTC.

That entire little metropolis, with its own trains and station, is now gone. What hell it must have been that day in 2001.

We ended up with the desired labor agreements and peace a week later, but still I have sad memories.

onslowe 01-12-2015 11:01 PM

I had an exciting time, but nopw it's very sad memories. I was a labor union attorney in NYC back then and our largest client, a Serivce Employee International Union local, was on a major demonstration and mass picket at the Twin Towers. New cleaning contractor came in having a very low bid and then laid off approximately two thousand union men and women office cleaners at the WTC. The protests were still allowed inside the concourse of the WTC which was very good because of the blizzard. At night though, some of the self lubricated troops 'boosted' some liquor bottles as the protest parade snaked around the concourse. They were arrested and our firm had to make sure all was according to Hoyle .

They were in cells at the bottom basement of the WTC. Unbelievable place. The police area looked like a massive audition for Hill Street Blues undercover roles! Truly scurvy looking characters - now I knew where the "bums" came from on my subway rides each day!

One group of arrestees (mostly Latino) were merrily playing cards with the cops. The cop in charge said "They're fine, and we'll be letting them go after the big crowd above us is gone. No heroes. Just nice and easy." The Latino guys smiled and waved at me and gave me thumbs up. Nice typical NYC common sense handling of matters.

I went out into the swirling blinding river side storm and caught a union business agent lying in the snow and firing a not home-made slingshot at the WTC windows, checking range and projectiles. He told me that was in case 'it' had to be raised up a few notches. I lied to him and told him a Port Authority cop saw him and asked me to give him an immediate 'cease and desist.' He did. Things never got to that point.

I went home that early morning feeling invigorated and self satisfied. I got on the Number 1 local at the station beneath the WTC.

That entire little metropolis, with its own trains and station, is now gone. What hell it must have been that day in 2001.

We ended up with the desired labor agreements and peace a week later, but still I have sad memories.

Dr Winston O Boogie jr 01-13-2015 07:09 AM

I remember it well, but your a bit early. The Blizzard of '78 occurred on Feb 5-Feb 7.

But what a lot of people tend to forget is that we had another very big storm about two weeks before and still had about 12" of snow on the ground on those dates.

Taltarzac725 01-13-2015 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr (Post 994742)
I remember it well, but your a bit early. The Blizzard of '78 occurred on Feb 5-Feb 7.

But what a lot of people tend to forget is that we had another very big storm about two weeks before and still had about 12" of snow on the ground on those dates.

Northeastern United States blizzard of 1978 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was in Reno, Nevada studying Philosophy and History at the University of Nevada, Reno so have no memories of this blizzard.

Chi-Town 01-13-2015 09:24 AM

More than one blizzard in '78 evidently.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/iln/research...blizzard78.php