Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Can a utopia exist in today's world (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/can-utopia-exist-todays-world-139162/)

senior citizen 01-13-2015 06:36 AM

Can a utopia exist in today's world

We are all very blessed to be living in this country, in our own chosen locations, without fear of danger striking......such as is happening in some hot spots in the world today.

No, our government cannot step in to every single war zone or conflict zone, but we all should be aware, plus horrified, at the injustices done to innocents.....all over the planet..........by misquided TERRORISTS in the false name of religion.

One's faith should be an inner contemplation; a private emotion. Not forced by dictate of a bunch of total lunatics.

Is there such a thing as a perfect society, where everyone would be kind, understanding & helpful to one another, while living communally? Sharing the work; while sharing the bounty.

Describe what a "perfect" society means to you.

Who should be in charge of the "perfect" society?

Would you rather live in a "perfect" society or a flawed one?

(Note: For those who misinterpret.....I'm NOT talking Communism; just wondering about the original leanings of these sects below.....as shown by U.S. Park Service)

UTOPIA is commonly thought of as an ideal and perfect society in which everyone lives in harmony, while everything is done for the good of its citizens.

The concept has actually been attempted in our country via the secular & relgious groups below.....plus many many more not listed..........

Is it better for "same/similar" types to co exist peacefully.........such as the Amish, Mennonites, etc.? Various religious orders who still farm in order to provide their own food, etc. such as the Monks of New Skete in Cambridge, New York?
Or, is living peacefully, such as in total world peace, a non existant reality, given the state of the world today.

My own wish would be to avoid hatred, violence, cruelty......emphasizing instead peace & harmony.

But, is it possible? We prefer a quiet existence, lived peacefully.

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/amana/utopia.htm

U.S. PARK SERVICE, DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
(National Register of Historic Places.......please see link above; keep scrolling to bottom)

Utopian Societies: A list of attempted such communities (in the past; nineteenth century) as most of them are either fading away or down to a minimal number of members.
The Amana Colonies; Amana Iowa (We've visited many times; lovely picturesque area)

The Shakers; Hancock Shaker Village, Berkshire County, Massachusetts (ditto)

Brook Farm; West Roxbury, Massachusetts

The Oneida Community; Brattleboro, Vermont

In ending.......

Well, we are feeling comfortable in the peaceful place that has been our "home" for 45 years of our 70 years on earth.......same neighborhood since 1970.........(first 25 years was in New Jersey).

This hilltop neighborhood has seen all of the elders die off (the ones that were additional grandparent role models to our babies, toddlers, school aged children, college kids & who attended their weddings; all of our house parties)...........so lots of history here in this neighborhood.

Now, we are the elders & the younger families are coming over to help us out (such as plowing the snow, etc., checking on the house, etc.)...........

Time certainly does fly by, the older one gets.........but the memories all linger on.

Although there may be NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT SOCIETY.......these cradle to grave towns, where people remember each other's babies being born, whose children all went off to school together.......went to their weddings, cried at funerals, visited at the local hospital, etc......who shared JOY, LOVE, GRIEF, SADNESS as well as CONTENTMENT with a myriad of different types of neighbors, who still had the same goal in life.........to raise happy healthy families.....and did so. A triumph in today's society. EVEN to be married 50 years is a milestone.

When my mom was in adult daycare for early stage Alzheimers, the young activity assistant , who would drive some of the group home, would often tell me that he thought our "home" was right out of "Leave it to Beaver", the type of home he always wished he had enjoyed growing up......naturally, I invited him to stay for supper many times.

Our now adult children's aged"40" something childood friends, who have stayed in town, still stop in to say "hi".........the ones who moved away, ditto, when they are visiting their folks or when our kids return home for family reunions or holidays. Lots of great memories for ALL AGES........even though we are older & they now have the children & babies.......

To me, that is a Utopia. Sometimes it just dawns on you. A sort of "continuity".

Travel is still great fun.........but "home" is "home".......where the heart is; where the memories are............where there is continuity.

There is no such thing as perfection. However, peacefulness in the heart & soul is worth more than any perfect utopia could ever offer. Our days are getting longer; warm up due next week......while our grandkids are enjoying Nordic skiing, downhill skiing, ice skating on frozen ponds.........we are going to finally take down our Christmas tree after Russian/Ukrainian Christmas which was January 7....& get ready for spring..........while planning our travel.

sunnyatlast 01-13-2015 09:35 AM

The closest thing to the friendly, caring hometown you describe as your home in VT…..is The Villages, Florida.

Better yet, The Villages neighborhoods have more capacity for caring, astute, and interesting world-experienced people to help one another and stay socialized, because of our close proximities to each other, and the vitality people gain by being outdoors and in the sunshine, not being isolated in the house or attempting to get around on ice for months on end.

This offers independence and neighbors/friends coming to help because they want to or it's easy for them, NOT because they are driven by guilt to come and help, as adult sons and daughters often are while working, saving, trying to finance their kids' education, and trying to find more hours in the day to help elderly parents.

Even better than that is nobody has to be "accepted" into society here based on being born here and how many generations of ancestors you have here. Everybody's from somewhere else, so pedigree does not enter the picture.

Barefoot 01-13-2015 10:18 AM

Utopia isn't a place.
It's a feeling within your heart, and it's different for all of us.

billethkid 01-13-2015 10:40 AM

I am not eaxactly sure whether you are looking for A utopian location or utopian world?

The ills of the world for most of us throughout history has been else where. But in fact have always existed.

There is the reality of those ills if one happens to live where they or it is or involved in a location where it happens. Then there is the perception of the rest of us who live in a place like TV of those ills of the world because they are fed to us and amplied 24/7 by the 24/7 amplifiers called the media.

We Americans and a very large percentage of the rest of the world go about our daily business in our own utopias. Most are away from the actual scenes of the tragedy and terrors in select place around the planet.

Some societies have been trying for centuries to change other societies for the better (a relative term/position).....to no avail.

TV for the most part as posted above is pretty much a utopia even with it's few grumps and speeders and bird flippers. It too can be made to be even more utopian by just not tuning in to the 24/7 media.

Sticking the head in the sand? No not really. When we did not know about what was going on there was not much that could be done. Now that we are so saturated with "knowing" there still is not much that could be done.

Remember the media looks at the world through a straw. So if they were looking at the side of an elephant through that straw, today's news would be about how gray the world is!!!!!!!

By exception they for the most part broadcast the ills of the world.....which represents the minority of the population involved at any given time.....and for the most part all the good that goes on in the world is really not given anywhere near equal time.

Now what if the two were reversed and all we ever heard about was the majority good that goes on in the world?

That is my $3.96 (2 cents adjusted for inflation).

Madelaine Amee 01-13-2015 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 994847)
I am not eaxactly sure whether you are looking for A utopian location or utopian world?

The ills of the world for most of us throughout history has been else where. But in fact have always existed.

There is the reality of those ills if one happens to live where they or it is or involved in a location where it happens. Then there is the perception of the rest of us who live in a place like TV of those ills of the world because they are fed to us and amplied 24/7 by the 24/7 amplifiers called the media.

We Americans and a very large percentage of the rest of the world go about our daily business in our own utopias. Most are away from the actual scenes of the tragedy and terrors in select place around the planet.

Some societies have been trying for centuries to change other societies for the better (a relative term/position).....to no avail.

TV for the most part as posted above is pretty much a utopia even with it's few grumps and speeders and bird flippers. It too can be made to be even more utopian by just not tuning in to the 24/7 media.

Sticking the head in the sand? No not really. When we did not know about what was going on there was not much that could be done. Now that we are so saturated with "knowing" there still is not much that could be done.

Remember the media looks at the world through a straw. So if they were looking at the side of an elephant through that straw, today's news would be about how gray the world is!!!!!!!

By exception they for the most part broadcast the ills of the world.....which represents the minority of the population involved at any given time.....and for the most part all the good that goes on in the world is really not given anywhere near equal time.

Now what if the two were reversed and all we ever heard about was the majority good that goes on in the world?

Excellent post! I rarely agree with your posts, but this time you got me!

Madelaine Amee 01-13-2015 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefoot (Post 994838)
Utopia isn't a place.

.... and I could have written this post ................ Fight the battles you can win!;)

sunnyatlast 01-13-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Best post yet!

Three couples have told me recently they're moving out of TV because "It's changed too much over these 8+ years we've been here……Now it's all these YOUNG people committing crimes here!" I asked if they'd gotten that from the "other paper online" and they said "yes" and "it's not like it used to be, here".

I told them that element was ALWAYS here, maybe even more predominantly before, because these 3 counties were not as occupied by TV population 8+ years ago, but the difference now is that their mug shots are put on the front page of that site.

THAT is not the face of TV. But some are led to portray it as taken over by a few morons or criminals that are pretty typical in any city of 100,000 or less.

NotGolfer 01-13-2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 994871)
Best post yet!

Three couples have told me recently they're moving out of TV because "It's changed too much over these 8+ years we've been here……Now it's all these YOUNG people committing crimes here!" I asked if they'd gotten that from the "other paper online" and they said "yes" and "it's not like it used to be, here".

I told them that element was ALWAYS here, maybe even more predominantly before, because these 3 counties were not as occupied by TV population 8+ years ago, but the difference now is that their mug shots are put on the front page of that site.

THAT is not the face of TV. But some are led to portray it as taken over by a few morons or criminals that are pretty typical in any city of 100,000 or less.

Sad to hear they're so fearful!! That said, I've heard from folks who've been here 8, 10 or more years express how they're not liking the size T.V. has gotten to be. They wish it was still the quiet place when they moved here. BUT did they have the restaurants, shopping, grocery-stores, medical help etc. back then?? Change happens...and you're right crime is "there" even if it's not reported. It would be a lovely world "IF" we didn't have the instant information we get blasted at us daily. Some of it is factual and some isn't close (many times) and it's all about ratings and who can "get there" first!

karostay 01-13-2015 05:30 PM

Yes it can..just don't tell anyone you found it..

senior citizen 01-14-2015 06:09 AM

Very nice post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 994806)
The closest thing to the friendly, caring hometown you describe as your home in VT…..is The Villages, Florida.

Better yet, The Villages neighborhoods have more capacity for caring, astute, and interesting world-experienced people to help one another and stay socialized, because of our close proximities to each other, and the vitality people gain by being outdoors and in the sunshine, not being isolated in the house or attempting to get around on ice for months on end.

This offers independence and neighbors/friends coming to help because they want to or it's easy for them, NOT because they are driven by guilt to come and help, as adult sons and daughters often are while working, saving, trying to finance their kids' education, and trying to find more hours in the day to help elderly parents.

Even better than that is nobody has to be "accepted" into society here based on being born here and how many generations of ancestors you have here. Everybody's from somewhere else, so pedigree does not enter the picture.

Very, very nice post. I understand totally.

Same as here actually, in that most of our college educated kids left town to pursue their careers in the big cities like Boston & San Diego area & Denver, New York metro area, etc. and so forth.

The ones who stay in Vermont, relocate to the Burlington area (our biggest city) or Montpelier (our state capital).

Thus, our out of state or northern Vermont "adult kids" only visit several times per year.........but when they do return, it's reunion time for all of their friends/our friends.

We are enjoying our alone time as retirees, after raising a family since 1968. My mom actually retired up here; having a good 30 plus years of retirement with my stepfather.......they created their own independent lifestyle with their senior citizen center friends. In the end I did care for mom for an extended period of time, after her husband passed..........but never out of guilt. I wish I had her back, if truth be told. Only now do I truly "get" what aging is all about.

The rest of the local kids, who have opened their own businesses in town here, are the ones who are close at hand, choosing to stay in town to raise their own young families.....

The many who actually do stay in town, are from very close knit "generational" families who were born in this town......we have the pleasure of knowing many, many of them........from their "greats" to their "grands" to the newest infants.........a circle of life.

We were transplants ourselves, welcomed by our "new neighbors" when we arrived in 1970. A culture difference for sure.....coming from the N.Y./N.J. metro area. It grows on you after awhile.

But, "I hear you" about The Villages........where everyone helps everyone & is always there for a friend or neighbor. Can't beat that either. However, I was referring to the "continuity" of life with a rich history in a small hometown.........from cradle to grave.
The ones who moved "away" to the bigger metro areas of our country, to be close to an airport for international travel, or centrally located for business reasons.........would love to raise their little ones "back home" but, unfortunately, the jobs are NOT here, unless one creates their own business.

senior citizen 01-14-2015 06:14 AM

Another excellent post

Quote:

Utopia isn't a place.

Another excellent post. I agree.

senior citizen 01-14-2015 06:17 AM

Truly insightful post

Quote:

Truly insightful post which I enjoyed reading....

Taltarzac725 01-14-2015 07:55 AM

Quote:

Utopia isn't a place.

That's wise. I took a course on Utopian thought while at the University of Nevada, Reno. So much of it turned out to be dystopian either in intent or how it turned out in the long run. Usually because of how crooked the timber is of humanity. Immanuel Kant. http://www.theguardian.com/books/201...-timber-review

kcrazorbackfan 01-14-2015 02:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 994806)

Both articles pretty much sum up our feelings here. As I've said many times before, TV is a in-freaking-credible place to be. It had to be for us to leave our son, his wife and 3 grandkids.

sharonga 01-15-2015 09:39 PM

I wish we had what you are talking about. We would have stayed forever.