Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Moving in soon! Golf cart advice needed (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/moving-soon-golf-cart-advice-needed-139287/)

SwampHawk 01-14-2015 10:53 AM

Moving in soon! Golf cart advice needed

Hey everyone I'm really glad to have found out about this forum while doing research on the villages. I'm excited to say that I will be moving in soon and become a new resident. The first thing I want to do is get a golf cart so I can take advantage of all the villages have to offer.

I need your advice on where to start looking for a cart and what places you've had good success with in the area. I would also appreciate any places to steer clear of too. Thanks for sharing your experience and helping me out.

:gc:

baustgen 01-14-2015 11:27 AM

Don't be in a hurry. Get moved in. Get used to how far you will be driving the golf cart. Gas and electric both have plusses and minuses. Make a list of your most important criteria. Decide which are important to you. Make sure you get a cart that goes the speed you want to go and all the ramifications. Shop around. Check out the ads in The Daily Sun. If you want service and are willing to pay for it, check out The Villages Golf Cart Stores and Carts and Clubs in Ocala. If you are more risky, check out buying from a private party or one of the many used golf car lots. Decent carts run from $4000 to $13000. Specialty carts to $20000. PM me if you want to talk more.

kcrazorbackfan 01-14-2015 11:39 AM

Well, before anything - drive carefully if you're going to rent one initially to get a feel of the place. There seems to have been several accidents lately.

If you're going to drive a lot, go with gas. They get great gas mileage and you don't have to worry about getting somewhere and getting low on battery power.

My recommendations would be Carts and Clubs in Ocala for new, or, for rebuilt to where they look brand new and will save you thousands, The Villages Discount Golf Carts. Good luck.

villagetinker 01-14-2015 12:13 PM

W waited several months before getting a golf cart, and the be truthful, we go just about everywhere by CAR. We live south of 466a, and many of the places we go to are well north of 466, and the drive is way too long in a golf cart. As mentioned previously, move in, get an idea of where everything is located, and HOW YOU WOULD GET THERE by golf cart, in some cases the golf cart route is significantly longer.

jebartle 01-14-2015 12:30 PM

You might want to check out...

TOTV used carts also....We bought an older model GEM when we first moved here and found that the turning ratio was not golf friendly, they have improved since then. If golf is not your thing you might want to search this website and discover the pluses and minuses of gas vs electric. Good Luck and enjoy paradise.

Barefoot 01-14-2015 01:01 PM

If you plan on traveling everywhere by cart, you may want to consider gas.
I find them noisy and smelly, but lots of people seem to love them.
I looked at one recently at Villages Golf Carts to see if they have improved the gas smell.
The salesman said "Oh, don't worry about it, it only affects the people behind you". :shrug:

Everyone has their favorite make and type of golf cart.
My favorite type is electric -- no noise, no smell.
We purchased our golf cart at Columbia Par Car on CR 441.
We've had a CPC since 2007 with no problems, and only one new battery.
The range is amazing, some say 60 miles.
All I know is our CPC seems to run forever on a battery charge, we've never come close to running out.

Bay Kid 01-14-2015 01:17 PM

Love my carts. It is the only way to get around in my book. I prefer gas so I can travel daily without worry. With the Yamaha w/4 seats you can haul lots, but still a great single driver. Carl was great at Sumter Landing.

sunnyatlast 01-14-2015 01:19 PM

Don't let anybody push you into thinking it's a sin to drive a car here, for non-golf trips around town.

Distances between major areas grow and grow, and the car has A/C needed often in spring/summer/fall when you don't want to be soaked and sweaty again 15 minutes after showering and dressing for a class, meeting, appointment, house party, concert, etc.

More importantly, cars have the advanced safety features such as airbags, which I believe newcomers and even seasoned villagers need for protection against so many drivers who:

a) have no idea where they're going and thus, they're totally distracted;

b) have been drinking at happy hour since 10 a.m. and it's now 10pm;

c) do not stop at stop signs/lights (because they're guilty of line b) above);

d) are driving 2-ton landscape trucks and trailers like asylum escapees.

Unless you're unable to walk far, car parking usually can be found within 1, 2, or 3 blocks from the squares.

Barefoot 01-14-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 995410)
Don't let anybody push you into thinking it's a sin to drive a car here, for non-golf trips around town.

I think that is excellent advice, especially if you're planning to drive in busy or congested areas. A car certainly offers more protection than a cart.

RickeyD 01-14-2015 01:38 PM

Golf Cart + Cars + Trucks = Injury and possible death. Get a Prius instead [emoji2]

gerryh1943 01-14-2015 02:09 PM

I say rent a gas golf cart for a week, and then rent a electric one for a week see what you think

JoMar 01-14-2015 02:13 PM

There is nothing like exploring in a cart.....you have the opportunity to leisurely enjoy the parks, the wetlands, stop and chat with neighbors or anyone else. We only use the car if heading outside the dome or above El Camino Real. I understand there are people who don't want the leisure life and have a need to get from point A to point B quickly and if that is you then I agree that you will use your car more than your cart and that should enter into your decision. Our choice was to sell on of our cars and use the carts. We have two electric carts, a ParCar and a Star EV. Have driven them from Brownwood to Lopez, and have returned home to south of 466A and haven't come close to running out of power. The technology has improved so if you go used, the older electric carts may not provide the range but we have a 2014 and 2015 and have no worries. When we used to be snowbirds we rented gas carts and just didn't like the noise or the smell that lingered in the garage. This purchase is truly a personal choice because it will help define who you want to be and what you want to do in this community. One size doesn't fit all.

dewilson58 01-14-2015 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerryh1943 (Post 995438)
I say rent a gas golf cart for a week, and then rent a electric one for a week see what you think

Good Advice!!

But.......don't rent from The Villages, they are not a representation of what a golf cart is or should be.

:gc:

gratefulparrot 01-14-2015 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 995442)
There is nothing like exploring in a cart.....you have the opportunity to leisurely enjoy the parks, the wetlands, stop and chat with neighbors or anyone else. We only use the car if heading outside the dome or above El Camino Real. I understand there are people who don't want the leisure life and have a need to get from point A to point B quickly and if that is you then I agree that you will use your car more than your cart and that should enter into your decision. Our choice was to sell on of our cars and use the carts. We have two electric carts, a ParCar and a Star EV. Have driven them from Brownwood to Lopez, and have returned home to south of 466A and haven't come close to running out of power. The technology has improved so if you go used, the older electric carts may not provide the range but we have a 2014 and 2015 and have no worries. When we used to be snowbirds we rented gas carts and just didn't like the noise or the smell that lingered in the garage. This purchase is truly a personal choice because it will help define who you want to be and what you want to do in this community. One size doesn't fit all.

Thanks for posting this. I'm not yet a TV, but when I get there, I want to enjoy myself. I'm trying to get away from the heavy highway and inpatient drivers. I want to leisurely travel through enjoying all the sights and sound. 50 mile trip on a charge, seems like I can go anywhere.

I do have one question. Are there charging stations anywhere. Meaning, if I do find myself needing a charge, can I charge someplace and have a beer?

JoMar 01-14-2015 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulparrot (Post 995458)
Thanks for posting this. I'm not yet a TV, but when I get there, I want to enjoy myself. I'm trying to get away from the heavy highway and inpatient drivers. I want to leisurely travel through enjoying all the sights and sound. 50 mile trip on a charge, seems like I can go anywhere.

I do have one question. Are there charging stations anywhere. Meaning, if I do find myself needing a charge, can I charge someplace and have a beer?

Well, not really. The ParCar has an on board charger which means you only need the cord. If you carry a cord then you only need to find someone that will let you use their outlet to plug in. If the cart has out board charger than you would need to carry the charger with you and that's not a practical solution. A 50 mile plus range should be more than enough for you to do what you want to do and plug it in at night and you should be good to go every day. Perspective.....Orlando is 58 miles from TV.....do you really want to travel that far in a cart? If you want to see what we have send a PM and we will be happy to show you what we bought and how the charging systems work.