Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Is there any chance that there are jobs in the area that would provide benefits? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/there-any-chance-there-jobs-area-would-provide-benefits-139312/)

ValerieJo 01-14-2015 12:32 PM

Is there any chance that there are jobs in the area that would provide benefits?

We would love to retire early and move to the villages. However, the only thing keeping us from doing so is medical coverage. We were not lucky enough to have jobs that provide healthcare until age 65.

Is there any chance that there are jobs in the area that would provide benefits? Doesn't need to pay a lot, decent pay and mainly the benefits?

Any type of industrial employment down there?

Any ideas?

LI SNOWBIRD 01-14-2015 12:33 PM

Sorry Amigo-- GOOD LUCK

njbchbum 01-14-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValerieJo (Post 995386)
We would love to retire early and move to the villages. However, the only thing keeping us from doing so is medical coverage. We were not lucky enough to have jobs that provide healthcare until age 65.

Is there any chance that there are jobs in the area that would provide benefits? Doesn't need to pay a lot, decent pay and mainly the benefits?

Any type of industrial employment down there?

Any ideas?

Would you not be able to find an affordable policy under the Affordable Care Act until you are age 65?

redwitch 01-14-2015 12:54 PM

Neither decent wages nor benefits. Most jobs here are part-time just so benefits don't have to be provided. Salaries are well below the norm here. Sorry!

billethkid 01-14-2015 01:16 PM

The Affordable care act is the main reason there are fewer to no jobs available with benefits anymore.

The real test of the so called affordability will come in 2016. That is when all who have "affordable" policies will begin to see increasingpremiums.
This is a whole subject for another thread.

ValerieJo 01-14-2015 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njbchbum (Post 995396)
Would you not be able to find an affordable policy under the Affordable Care Act until you are age 65?

I've thought of this and In Theory it would probably be a great alternative. Unfortunately, I just don't know enough about it.

sunnyatlast 01-14-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValerieJo (Post 995423)
I've thought of this and In Theory it would probably be a great alternative. Unfortunately, I just don't know enough about it.

https://www.healthcare.gov

or in foreign languages:
https://www.healthcare.gov/language-resource/

Good luck.

outlaw 01-14-2015 04:40 PM

You're in luck! You can secure health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, popularly referred to as Obamacare. For a reasonable premium of only a few hundred dollars per month, you can purchase a plan with a deductible as little as $6,000 per year for a family.

Edjkoz 01-14-2015 04:55 PM

Sorry to disagree but we were forced to go with Obamacare this year and the cost is far above a few hundred dollars per month. The costs are steep and you can't afford to work, even part time because it will affect your subsidy

graciegirl 01-14-2015 05:11 PM

Here is what I would tell my children if they asked me this question. Wait and save. Jobs aren't high paying here.

outlaw 01-14-2015 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edjkoz (Post 995516)
Sorry to disagree but we were forced to go with Obamacare this year and the cost is far above a few hundred dollars per month. The costs are steep and you can't afford to work, even part time because it will affect your subsidy

Did you buy your deductible down?

shcisamax 01-14-2015 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edjkoz (Post 995516)

I agree. Way more than it was before ACA.

Gordon82 01-14-2015 05:52 PM

I'm paying just over $1000 a month for a policy that covers myself and my wife, and each of us has a $6250 deductible. Obamacare is not a type of policy, it is a set of rules that must be followed whether insurance is purchased through and exchange (federal or state) or not. I'm not sure how much those rules are affecting my premium, but common sense tells me that covering more people and requiring more types of coverage with each policy, whether needed or not, isn't helping the cost.

CFrance 01-14-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outlaw (Post 995511)
You're in luck! You can secure health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, popularly referred to as Obamacare. For a reasonable premium of only a few hundred dollars per month, you can purchase a plan with a deductible as little as $6,000 per year for a family.

AND... the coverage will be much better than the "cheaper" alternatives that were available before AFA. Which will be very important to you as you age.

The lack of full-time jobs with decent pay and benefits in the south well predates the Afordable Care Act. The south has historically been a lower-paying area of the country, comparing job to job. I guess it used to be cheaper to live in the south, making up for the difference, but it doesn't seem to be so much the case lately. Much luck to you in your search.

njbchbum 01-14-2015 07:01 PM

Please don't hijack this thread to a discussion of the ACA.

Perhaps folks with positive ACA interaction can PM ValeriJo rather than discuss here; or suggest here that she contact you by PM?