Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, New Members Forum (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/)
-   -   Different Countys of the Villages (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-new-members-forum-115/different-countys-villages-139361/)

velcro 01-14-2015 08:29 PM

Different Countys of the Villages

Is there any advantage to buying a house in one of the 4 county's that the Villages sit's in over another? Either tax wise or public utility's wise or any other reason?

Queen 01-14-2015 08:51 PM

The Villages is comprised of three counties (not four): Lake, Marion, and Sumter.

dbussone 01-14-2015 08:56 PM

Holy smoke. While I was having dinner we grew into another county?

Velcro - just jesting, but you asked a question with many responses. For example, if you live in Lake County, your home will not have a bond. Sumter and Marion counties both permit bonds. Millage rates will vary, etc. You should go to each of the 3 county websites to see how they vary. In the case of Lake County you should check on the City of Lady Lake and the City of Fruitland Park. Most of the Villages is in unincorporated Sumter County.

No matter where you land, if you do your research you'll be very happy here. New or Preowned - TV is just a wonderful place with fabulous people. I wish you success.

Villager Dude 01-14-2015 09:03 PM

It appears that Sumter County is the best financed.

mulligan 01-15-2015 08:06 AM

The new homes in Fruitland park will have bonds. They have already been issued and sold.

TNLAKEPANDA 01-15-2015 08:20 AM

I think that Sumter County has the largest % of Village homes. I can remember when Sumter County was dirt poor and now they have a lot of money and power.

dbussone 01-15-2015 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulligan (Post 995766)
The new homes in Fruitland park will have bonds. They have already been issued and sold.

Those bonds are not the same as the bond assessment on individual homes in Sumter County. Lake County does not permit that so the developer increases the price on homes in the new area as an alternative.

Shimpy 01-15-2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 995772)
Lake County does not permit that so the developer increases the price on homes in the new area as an alternative.

This is how most of the country does it....The cost of the infrastructure is added to the price of the home.

OldManTime 01-15-2015 07:00 PM

Do your homework, look at the crime in the newer area's of the villages, make that a deciding factor too.

Barefoot 01-15-2015 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen (Post 995632)
The Villages is comprised of three counties (not four): Lake, Marion, and Sumter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by velcro (Post 996017)
Don't you just love people like Queenie, correct & criticize, but bring absolutely nothing to the table.

I don't know Queen from Adam, however I think he was trying to be helpful and factual, not critical.
Sorry for the hijack, back to the OP's question.

Oldmantime made an interesting comment about crime in newer areas of TV :confused:.

billethkid 01-15-2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldManTime (Post 996049)
Do your homework, look at the crime in the newer area's of the villages, make that a deciding factor too.

And just what is that statement based on? You jest right?

If not then it is a predjudiced throw away, baseless remark!

velcro 01-15-2015 07:19 PM

Thanks OldManTime. Didn't think crime was much of a problem there. What are we talking about quality of life,petty or major crime? Where would I fine the crime stats?

dbussone 01-15-2015 07:23 PM

Different Countys of the Villages

In any community of 100,000 people there will be some level of crime. I challenge anyone to statistically prove that any particular type of crime here is greater than the national average (except maybe for golf cart thefts). Start by looking up FBI statistics.

We have some regular posters on TOTV who could easily address this question. Former LEOs!

billethkid 01-15-2015 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbussone (Post 996069)
In any community of 100,000 people there will be some level of crime. I challenge anyone to statistically prove that any particular type of crime here is greater than the national average (except maybe for golf cart thefts). Start by looking up FBI statistics.

and be specifically focused as inferred above!!

velcro 01-15-2015 09:18 PM

I checked the crime stats for the villages in Sumter and like I expressed earlier didn't think much about it and for good reason. According to the stats TV crime is wayyyyyy below the state & national average. Looks like the good guys are winning!!!!!!!!