Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Medical and Health Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/)
-   -   The Villages Regional Hospital (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/medical-health-discussion-94/villages-regional-hospital-139566/)

Eastwind53 01-16-2015 01:43 PM

The Villages Regional Hospital

Make sure you get a copy of your medical record after leaving the hospital.
For a one night stay I had 297 pages. Many, many false entries.

red tail 01-16-2015 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcaprio (Post 996407)

are you suggesting our hospital is engaging in criminal activites?

Bonny 01-16-2015 02:54 PM

Quote:

What type of false entries ? 297 pages of paper for night ?

rubicon 01-16-2015 03:01 PM

Quote:

rcaprio: I understand what you mean and the problem has been national but with the demands by government to have all medical records electronic it has placed an undue burden on providers and is rapidly increasing. Many experts ave been warning people to carefully review their records Doctors spend too much time date entering information they receive from their patients instead of focusing their attention to their patients as they speak.

Thanks for the heads up

graciegirl 01-16-2015 03:08 PM

Quote:

So, FIRST welcome to the forum, and tell us what you think the problem is.

Did you have good care, and are you better? New here to the area? Live here or visiting for the first time? Is this where your PCP is? What does he/she say? Had you ever been admitted there before? Or anywhere since the rulings changed?

Chi-Town 01-16-2015 03:59 PM

There has been pressure to move to electronic medical records (EMR) for quite some time. Forward thinking hospital networks realized the need to have information readily available for review across the various departments that are involved in a patient's care. They realized that healthcare was one of the only industries that relied on paper records and that needed to change. The government via the ACA has incentivized all hospirals to move to an electronic medical system.

Remember when companies computerized and how many times we heard how life was easier before this turmoil of change? Look how that turned out. EMRs are here to stay. We will enjoy better healthcare becsuse of them.

Nightengale212 01-16-2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 996439)
rcaprio: I understand what you mean and the problem has been national but with the demands by government to have all medical records electronic it has placed an undue burden on providers and is rapidly increasing. Many experts ave been warning people to carefully review their records Doctors spend too much time date entering information they receive from their patients instead of focusing their attention to their patients as they speak.

Thanks for the heads up

As an R.N. who works in primary care for the VA which probably has the most advanced electronic medical record system in the world, from my perspective I can't even begin to describe the many ways the electronic medical record has enhanced all aspects of patient care. I do an extensive amount of telephone triage, and I am one click away from finding out pertinent patient data such as medication profiles, recent lab test results, progress notes, surgical reports, etc., that help me more accurately disposition patient care needs. If I get a call from a patient who has cold symptoms that forgets to tell me they have COPD and are on home oxygen and 4 inhalers, when I see that info in their medical record they will get a same day PCP appt or be directed to the ER because their condition can deteoriate quickly to a life threatening situation as opposed to another patient who does not have the same medical history.

Yes, I do agree that some EMR requirements placed on physicians are a terrible time burden, but believe me, as much as the physicians I work with complain from time to time about these EMR requirements, when the computers go down and they do not have immediate access to info they need from the EMR they freak big time and everything goes into slow motion and patient care is delayed.

Mudder 01-16-2015 07:39 PM

I find 297 pages extremely hard to believe. We always get copies of records, usually on a cd. Still 297 is way out of my realm of understanding for a one night stay. Could you explain further?

graciegirl 01-16-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudder (Post 996543)
I find 297 pages extremely hard to believe. We always get copies of records, usually on a cd. Still 297 is way out of my realm of understanding for a one night stay. Could you explain further?

THAT was my problem with the post, not that it was electronic, but so many pages and the OP said he had "many, many false entries". What does that mean OP....please come back and tell us.

dbussone 01-16-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mudder (Post 996543)

The move to EMRs has positives and negatives. The availability of records from your PCP's office to the ER will (may) add in your care However I'm a sceptic and have been around EMRs since I oversaw the installation of the first in one of my hospitals in 1991.

The fact that the records are available electronically is terrific, but experience has shown that they are underused. And for us to think they are secure is being, shall we say, ridiculous. Even worse is the fact that ObamaCare requires that all EMRs - hospital, physician, other medical facilities - are merged into a federal database. Do you really think these will not be hacked within days, weeks, months? E.g, a company in Pakistan several years ago was hired to transcribe physician dictations, etc.. Those records ended up on the Internet held hostage for ransom by the Pakistani transcribers. Get ready folks you've not seen anything yet. If the ObamaCare website didn't work, why do you think your personal health information would be secure.

By the way, I'm not guessing about this. I've worked in healthcare for 40 years and have already seen ObamaCare fail on several fronts.

Challenger 01-16-2015 09:04 PM

297 pages Hmmmmmmmmmmm!!

OP is strangely silent.

4 posts Hmmmmmmm!!

The O's 01-17-2015 09:14 AM

I believe this is prime example of why a lot of people don't post on TOTV. The OP does a post and immediately is questioned/attacked about his comments. It appears that there is frustration with TV Hospital. But, now he/she gets attacked here. I don't understand why. Now, I will get questioned because I stood up for the OP. Oh, well.

outlaw 01-17-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The O's (Post 996741)
I believe this is prime example of why a lot of people don't post on TOTV. The OP does a post and immediately is questioned/attacked about his comments. It appears that there is frustration with TV Hospital. But, now he/she gets attacked here. I don't understand why. Now, I will get questioned because I stood up for the OP. Oh, well.

It's referred to as "shooting the messenger".

sunnyatlast 01-17-2015 09:55 AM

There's no need to shoot the messenger or doubt that the electronic medical record (EMR) is that many pages.

All you have to do is ask any doctor or in-hospital nurse how many screen loads of useless "documentation" (aka "Billing and CYA material) they have to page thru with the computer running at the speed of a wood-fueled locomotive, just to get to even the most basic, vital information they need for patient care.

Ask them what percentage of the Billing and CYA material in the electronic chart is auto-fed by default with no interaction by themselves, or how many paragraphs of canned text is fed in when they click a check box there to indicate a single problem the patient had for 2 days in 1942 and has never been a problem since. Ask how many dictation errors the thing transcribes, inserting garbage into the chart that the dr. will have to rely on to CYA himself with when dragged into court in a lawsuit, or be told by the hospital billing directors that he's "leaving money on the table" by not putting in some more patient data that would yield more costly billable goods/services.

This is by hospital IT news source:

10 things you hate about your EMR | Healthcare IT News

Barefoot 01-17-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The O's (Post 996741)

RCaprio started the thread by stating some pretty astonishing information.
Apparently, for a one night stay, he had 297 pages of information with many false entries.
That is pretty incredible information. I'm sure the OP expected some discussion. That is the nature of a Forum.

You used the word "attacked" twice.
On TOTV, when a poster initiates a thread about false entries on hospital records, of course there will be questions.
I didn't see anyone being attacked, just requests for clarification.
When a poster starts a thread with astonishing information, it can be expected it will generate a lot of discussion.