Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Ebola Scare (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/ebola-scare-139724/)

Tennisnut 01-17-2015 04:03 PM

Ebola Scare

How does everyone feel about the Ebola virus. It seems readily apparent that our governments and health organizations have done a pretty good job of containing the threat. It know it gives me a warm fuzzy about their efforts. PROPER RESPECT!!

gomoho 01-17-2015 04:05 PM

I believe it was contained "in spite" of the government's botched handling of the entire situation. Thank goodness.

Tennisnut 01-17-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomoho (Post 996973)
I believe it was contained "in spite" of the government's botched handling of the entire situation. Thank goodness.

You mean they were so good, they succeeded in spite of few mistakes?

billethkid 01-17-2015 04:19 PM

all we can really conclude is we have made it through a onsey twosey less than a dozen cases or so.

We still have no idea how well or not prepared we are.

So how ready are we for 50 to a hundred per hospital going in most major cities?
Wher is the follow up? The accountability? Current status? How many hospitals now capable of what?

Like all crises as soon as the spot light is off of it and the media is no longer interested the crises just goes to the last weeks news pile.

And we the people sigh with relief! If it ain't in the news it must be OK!

LndLocked 01-17-2015 04:35 PM

I am amazed that apparently the entire "crisis" vanished on Nov 5th 2014

janmcn 01-17-2015 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LndLocked (Post 996994)
I am amazed that apparently the entire "crisis" vanished on Nov 5th 2014

Amazing coincidence wouldn't you say, and the Ebola czar (who everybody despised) was able to retire after only six weeks on the job. All we hear, from the posters who said we'd all be dead by Christmas, is crickets.

Bogie Shooter 01-17-2015 05:44 PM

I thought Fox News solved this............

Rags123 01-17-2015 06:09 PM

I am puzzled and bewildered by this entire thread, and especially the last two or so posts.

What is the intent ? I can only figure out that it might be to mock those who had a fear, OR based on the last post, the entire Ebola somehow became P.....cal ?

I think all are happy that the threat is contained, but the sheer mention of "crickets" and a news network stand out a bit.

I sure hope we do not have such mean spirited posters here, do we ?

manaboutown 01-17-2015 06:27 PM

It seems the disease is alive and well er...still around. The BBC reports the WHO tracks and maps its progress in these areas which fortunately are rather remote. BBC News - Ebola: Mapping the outbreak

The WHO shows the dead currently at something over 8,400 people. Over 21,000 have contracted the disease. WHO reveals these numbers are understated and new outbreaks do occur.

If the outbreaks were in NYC or LA I cringe to consider where things would stand today.

Bogie Shooter 01-17-2015 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rags123 (Post 997034)
I am puzzled and bewildered by this entire thread, and especially the last two or so posts.

What is the intent ? I can only figure out that it might be to mock those who had a fear, OR based on the last post, the entire Ebola somehow became P.....cal ?

I think all are happy that the threat is contained, but the sheer mention of "crickets" and a news network stand out a bit.

I sure hope we do not have such mean spirited posters here, do we ?

It sure did, especially on that network.

Rags123 01-17-2015 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 997083)
It sure did, especially on that network.

Sure did....mean spirited ? I suppose referring to crickets and a network has something to do with an Ebola scare, but surely not Pol.....al, because that could not happen here.

A fear in the entire country, dominated by all networks and that fear expressed here is terrible. Those folks deserve whatever you can dish out.

sunnyatlast 01-17-2015 09:01 PM

CDC: More Than 1,400 People in U.S. Being Actively Monitored for Ebola

The killer virus Ebola may not be front and center in the news, but it’s still in the forefront of efforts by health officials nationwide. As of today, more than 1,400 people in 44 states in the U.S. are being actively monitored by state and local health departments after returning from West Africa. The good news is that no new cases have been reported in the U.S. since Oct. 23.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, which provided the figure,

“They are being monitored because…….

CDC: More Than 1,400 People in U.S. Being Actively Monitored for Ebola | Sharyl Attkisson

dbussone 01-17-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 997090)

The killer virus Ebola may not be front and center in the news, but it’s still in the forefront of efforts by health officials nationwide. As of today, more than 1,400 people in 44 states in the U.S. are being actively monitored by state and local health departments after returning from West Africa. The good news is that no new cases have been reported in the U.S. since Oct. 23.

CDC: More Than 1,400 People in U.S. Being Actively Monitored for Ebola | Sharyl Attkisson

Now that's a scary statistic.

Tennisnut 01-17-2015 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnyatlast (Post 997090)

I am impressed that that they CDC is continuing to take such a conservative approach while also having no active cases since Oct 23. I wonder how many of these 1400 monitored personnel were active in in the response to helping manage the Ebola crisis and are now returning home. PROPER RESPECT to them as well!

Chi-Town 01-17-2015 10:02 PM

We should have a fear forum.

Fear of ebola.
Fear of Muslims.
Fear of race riots.
Fear of government intrusion.
Fear of immigration.
Fear of climate change.

There are enough threads that thrive on the above and more to come for sure.

There seems to be a trend where an OP starts it off with a provocative title and then the feeding frenzy begins. Just look at some recent examples, Ebola Scare...Illegal Aliens...Radical Islam. I am not knocking anything; in fact, there is an entertainment value to all this.