Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   CR 466A Widening in Wildwood (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/cr-466a-widening-wildwood-140138/)

mtdjed 01-20-2015 08:00 PM

CR 466A Widening in Wildwood

Anyone know status of CR 466 A road widening in Wildwood. Perhaps answered somewhere but cannot find anything. Seems like project is stalled.

LndLocked 01-20-2015 08:13 PM

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...-301-a-133999/

Jim 9922 01-20-2015 08:58 PM

Project was started in August 2012 and still going on at government pace. Lots of bumbling, excuses, procrastination, and at least a $200,000 cost overrun. Expected finish, maybe, possibly, perhaps this Spring or maybe early Summer. Project was 1.8 miles and will take at least 1,000 days to complete. How many feet per day, while The Villages (privately owned) builds 3 or 4 whole villages, miles of streets and infrastructure, and multiple recreation facilities.
I can't believe that the poor local merchants haven't squawked to their local politicos for some action and accountability, or maybe that's just how business is run in Wildwood and at the FL DOT.:yuck:

villagetinker 01-20-2015 09:00 PM

When we moved in (mid October 2013), the detours had just been erected, our moving van was delayed.... At the time it was advertised to be completed in 1 year, Oh well, I guess we will need to find out what calendar they are using.
I hope the other end does not follow suit.........

JoMar 01-20-2015 10:03 PM

I thought I read that the work stopped because residents were disputing the right of way and lawyers are now involved....or maybe I dreamed that.

villagetinker 01-20-2015 10:05 PM

Ah yes lawyers.... need I say more.....

applesoffh 01-20-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim 9922 (Post 998597)
Project was started in August 2012 and still going on at government pace. Lots of bumbling, excuses, procrastination, and at least a $200,000 cost overrun. Expected finish, maybe, possibly, perhaps this Spring or maybe early Summer. Project was 1.8 miles and will take at least 1,000 days to complete. How many feet per day, while The Villages (privately owned) builds 3 or 4 whole villages, miles of streets and infrastructure, and multiple recreation facilities.
I can't believe that the poor local merchants haven't squawked to their local politicos for some action and accountability, or maybe that's just how business is run in Wildwood and at the FL DOT.:yuck:

One of the ladies who works at the post office in Wildwood (and lives right off 466A) said that the construction has halted because there are a number of law suits against the construction company by residents who have significant property damage. Whether this is true or not I couldn't say, but a worker at the Widwood Ace Hardware said the same thing.

Bonanza 01-20-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim 9922 (Post 998597)

Other than being part of the infrastructure here in TV, our streets are as public as 466A -- no more -- no less, so you would think there wouldn't be any hold up with the construction. The only possible reason for the hold up is as previously mentioned, i.e., that there's a legal problem somewhere.

I think Rome was even built at a faster pace than that road construction!

LndLocked 01-21-2015 08:02 AM

Equating the construction of roads on virgin land to that of widening a road is apples and oranges.

Jim 9922 01-21-2015 08:19 AM

According to an article Monday in the Orlando Sentinel the "big problem" was that a few water lines had to unexpectedly be replaced. Come on, 2 1/2 years to repave and replace 1.8 miles of road in construction weather that is ideal almost 300 days a year! Apparently no one had to post performance and time deadline bonds to be awarded the contract. And where is the contractors' liability insurance policy? Normally the insurance company is sued and construction continues.
To me the whole project stinks, and that's a concern because $37 million of taxpayers' money was spent and who knows how many small businesses were hurt by 2 1/2 years of bumbling. Who knows how low the price would have been if it had been properly bid an managed.
:0000000000luvmyhors

Mikeod 01-21-2015 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LndLocked (Post 998730)
Equating the construction of roads on virgin land to that of widening a road is apples and oranges.

Very true. But the widening of 466 from the Sumter County line into Lady Lake took far less than this short section of 466A into Wildwood.

Bruiser1 01-21-2015 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim 9922 (Post 998740)
According to an article Monday in the Orlando Sentinel the "big problem" was that a few water lines had to unexpectedly be replaced. Come on, 2 1/2 years to repave and replace 1.8 miles of road in construction weather that is ideal almost 300 days a year! Apparently no one had to post performance and time deadline bonds to be awarded the contract. And where is the contractors' liability insurance policy? Normally the insurance company is sued and construction continues.
To me the whole project stinks, and that's a concern because $37 million of taxpayers' money was spent and who knows how many small businesses were hurt by 2 1/2 years of bumbling. Who knows how low the price would have been if it had been properly bid an managed.
:0000000000luvmyhors

You can't compare the construction practices of Florida vs Northern States.
I worked on projects where 10 miles of 4 lane highway was constructed in less than six months! This took place in wetlands and granite beds (where it had to be exploded then excavated. All this within the construction
season.
If it was not completed by October the bituminous plants would shut down

justjim 01-21-2015 11:22 AM

On a construction project such as this, they tackle the utilities first----not last. Obviously, somebody screwed up this project.

Bruiser1 01-21-2015 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justjim (Post 998838)
On a construction project such as this, they tackle the utilities first----not last. Obviously, somebody screwed up this project.

Again in other parts of the country , the utilities (natural gas, electric, catv , phone) would receive plans of the project. This would allow the utilities to evaluate conflicts or future growth needs. If the utilities could not reroute they would install conduits in place .