Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   Picture perfect (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/picture-perfect-125/)
-   -   Brownwood's "cattle" Sculptures (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/picture-perfect-125/brownwoods-cattle-sculptures-140223/)

Boudicca 01-21-2015 04:57 PM

Brownwood's "cattle" Sculptures

5 Attachment(s)
I never tire of admiring these beautiful sculptures. I was able to get these images today, before most folks were out and about, and car traffic was light.

redwitch 01-21-2015 05:12 PM

Wish more people could appreciate them this way rather than climbing on them for a photo.

Lovely pix. Thank you for sharing.

Uptown Girl 01-21-2015 05:21 PM

That is the artist's heart, within you!!!
Beautiful shots, as usual :)

Tripngirl 01-21-2015 06:36 PM

Can't wait until March and we will be able to view these sculptures....and the whole area there! Great photos Shrandell!

onslowe 01-21-2015 09:13 PM

Wonderful photos and perspectives. It's good to see one so talented bring all of us real Florida historical memories. Until I moved here, from NYC, I never knew and so did not appreciate the history of this state and its early pioneers. Quite a varied struggle of courage.

Thanks much Shrandell! :)

Sable99 01-21-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onslowe (Post 999126)
Wonderful photos and perspectives. It's good to see one so talented bring all of us real Florida historical memories. Until I moved here, from NYC, I never knew and so did not appreciate the history of this state and its early pioneers. Quite a varied struggle of courage.

Thanks much Shrandell! :)

Brownwood is designed after the developer's hometown near Traverse City, Michigan -- not early Florida. You can see the pictures in the Sales Office in Brownwood. I'm not sure where the cattle comes in. I've been to the Traverse City area many times (Mom is from near there) and I've never seen cattle!

Thank you for the beautiful photos Shrandell.

Boudicca 01-21-2015 11:04 PM

The Real & Copy Brownwood Store

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the Morse family original Brownwood Store, and the replica in the "new" Brownwood.

Barefoot 01-22-2015 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrandell (Post 998984)
I never tire of admiring these beautiful sculptures. I was able to get these images today, before most folks were out and about, and car traffic was light.

I wish we had pictures like these to remind us of the Villages when we're up North.

Taltarzac725 01-24-2015 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shrandell (Post 998984)

Good job. Love those pictures.

NotGolfer 01-24-2015 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sable99 (Post 999150)
Brownwood is designed after the developer's hometown near Traverse City, Michigan -- not early Florida. You can see the pictures in the Sales Office in Brownwood. I'm not sure where the cattle comes in. I've been to the Traverse City area many times (Mom is from near there) and I've never seen cattle!

Thank you for the beautiful photos Shrandell.

You are correct re: paying homage to their former home in MI....however, if I remember correctly they're also paying homage to the "crackers" (cowboys) of FL as well thus the cattle and man on the horse. The whole feel for the square is kind of an "old west" feel (MHO) of times past.

onslowe 01-24-2015 12:08 PM

Thank you, NG. I never knew about the cattle and 'crackers' until I read the book A Past Remembered ( I think title is correct.) That history is what I was referring to.

dotti105 01-24-2015 02:24 PM

Yes, Florida is a top beef producer in the US.
This area was large cattle and horse farms, back in the day. When I was growing up, Wildwood was an intersection with one blinking light surrounded by cattle farms.

If you go to Brownwood Sales office and get the "map" and "history" of Brownwood, you will see that the square and the buildings surrounding it are a "Disney-esque" creation paying homage to that era of settlers and pioneers.

The name "Brownwood" came from the Morse family history, as well as some of the other street names etc. and they have woven the two together beautifully.

We are fortunate that the Developer truly believes in creating 1st class amenities for those of us lucky enough to call this home. Brownwood is awesome and will only get better.

Although we grew up in Fla, we spent the last 23 yrs in Utah and coincidentally these beautiful sculptures were made in Park City, Utah. Park City is known for skiing and fantastic art work. So for us, seeing these fabulous sculptures, is a nice reminder of our time in Utah.

Jody Fisher 01-26-2015 12:05 PM

NotGolfer is correct about paying homage to the Florida cowboys, otherwise known as "crackers" because of the cracking of their whips.

Beautiful pictures of the sculptures! I especially love the cowboy on the horse carrying the calf, with the faithful dog trotting along side. :)

dplars 01-26-2015 01:48 PM

Onslowe, if you really want to get into old Florida history from civil war forward try reading "a Land remembered" then "Shadow Land" Both books will make you want to visit the historical sites. Have fun.

onslowe 01-26-2015 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dplars (Post 1001528)
Onslowe, if you really want to get into old Florida history from civil war forward try reading "a Land remembered" then "Shadow Land" Both books will make you want to visit the historical sites. Have fun.

Thanks very much. I erroneously named the book entitled "A Land Remembered" above which was excellent, and I will look for "Shadow Land."