Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Sam's Club...purveyor of too many imported foods that (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/sams-club-purveyor-too-many-imported-foods-140331/)

billethkid 01-22-2015 03:18 PM

Sam's Club...purveyor of too many imported foods that

are available here in the USA.

Shrimp from Indonesia

Ground beef....yes the very bright and picturesque looking ground beef from Mexixo and Canada.

Fresh pork shoulders (whole) from Mexico.

And of course fresh fruits.....almost all of which are from somewhere else in the world.

The shrimp and ground beef set me off this morning. I live in FL and why would anybody buy shrimp from Indonesia. How about Georgia? South Carolina?

Ground beef or "fresh" pork from Mexico? Not in my house.

We do not buy foods that are available from the USA from anybody. It is time to start looking for a local meat market. I know there is one in Bellview and in Wildwood.

Anybody have a local fresh meat source?

PS....I know somebody usually will ask if I know where the meat comes from in the restaurants. No I do not. But as I do in most other issues and subjects I do not like to waste time on the low percentage issues in my life!!

kellyjam 01-22-2015 09:44 PM

At the Farmer Markets on Thursday and Saturday you can buy local grass fed beef as well as pasture pork and free range chicken from Pasture Prime. Here is their web site - Pasture Prime Wagyu Florida Grassfed Beef

Xavier 01-22-2015 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 999461)
are available here in the USA.

Shrimp from Indonesia

Ground beef....yes the very bright and picturesque looking ground beef from Mexixo and Canada.

Fresh pork shoulders (whole) from Mexico.

And of course fresh fruits.....almost all of which are from somewhere else in the world.

The shrimp and ground beef set me off this morning. I live in FL and why would anybody buy shrimp from Indonesia. How about Georgia? South Carolina?

Ground beef or "fresh" pork from Mexico? Not in my house.

We do not buy foods that are available from the USA from anybody. It is time to start looking for a local meat market. I know there is one in Bellview and in Wildwood.

Anybody have a local fresh meat source?

PS....I know somebody usually will ask if I know where the meat comes from in the restaurants. No I do not. But as I do in most other issues and subjects I do not like to waste time on the low percentage issues in my life!!

You'd get really upset to find out where a lot of the fresh fruit you buy at the Markets of Marion comes from. How about a can of mushrooms, or most anything else, in any local grocery store? Try to find Florida citrus in local stores. Much of the fruits are now coming from Central America.

My friend, I believe you about two decades late with your recent discovery.

Xavier

Jdmiata 01-22-2015 10:31 PM

Had clams last week at The Lighthouse. Server said that they were from Chile.
It's a global economy.

Bay Kid 01-23-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdmiata (Post 999651)
Had clams last week at The Lighthouse. Server said that they were from Chile.
It's a global economy.

Yuck! Chesapeake Bay clams, please. Also oysters, fish and crab. Nothing but the best!

Walter123 01-23-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellyjam (Post 999621)
At the Farmer Markets on Thursday and Saturday you can buy local grass fed beef as well as pasture pork and free range chicken from Pasture Prime. Here is their web site - Pasture Prime Wagyu Florida Grassfed Beef

Which farmers market? Brownwood?

leftyf 01-23-2015 08:29 AM

I always check the country of origin before I buy any food items today. Last time I checked, Sam's only had 2 fish items from the USA. Oh, I only buy US dog foods too.

Carla B 01-23-2015 09:52 AM

I saw fresh blueberries from China at Publix. Keep thinking they may have the same stuff in the blueberries that they put in the sheetrock, Yuck!

rdhdleo 01-23-2015 12:34 PM

It's a drive but the beef at Mazzaros in St. Pete is from the midwest never asked about pork etc but if he is that picky about his beef I am assuming he is about the rest of what he sells. love that place. Make the drive every few months with 3 coolers in the back of the suv and stock up. I also purchase from Omaha steaks.

CFrance 01-23-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 999740)

Brownwood on Saturday. I believe it's frozen but not 100% sure.

I don't mind buying products from Canada or western Europe or a developed country other than the US that has equal standards. Lamb from New Zealand and Australia is very good and actually leaves a smaller footprint than US lamb. But I think BTK is as much into Buy America as he/she is into finding fresh local food produced under high standards.

rubicon 01-23-2015 02:16 PM

Sam's buys in extremely high volume and so if Sam's is buying foreign you can bet its economically more competitive for them

kellyjam 01-23-2015 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walter123 (Post 999740)

Yes Saturday at Brownwood. I misspoke about Thursday they are only at Brownwood. You can set up an account online and you can preorder with a pickup on Sat. He freezes all the meat.

JoMar 01-23-2015 05:02 PM

Saw some great frozen Lobster Tails at Winn Dixie, they were from Honduras. It's a challenge making the changes from what was available in PA but we are trying, shipping Lobsters from New England is too expensive and why there isn't more local seafood in FL is still mind bending.

billethkid 01-23-2015 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoMar (Post 1000073)
Saw some great frozen Lobster Tails at Winn Dixie, they were from Honduras. It's a challenge making the changes from what was available in PA but we are trying, shipping Lobsters from New England is too expensive and why there isn't more local seafood in FL is still mind bending.

Probably because they ship it all to other states and export the rest.

When we lived in SC it was such a treat to be able to go to the different seafood shops and even the dock where the boats came in to get any and all fresh seafood of the season.

I am disappointed for the 10 years we have been here that there is not an availability as in other coastal states??!!

Mikeod 01-23-2015 06:57 PM

Lighthouse Seafood in the red barn on 466 has local and US sourced fresh seafood.