Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Village Kitchen (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/)
-   -   Taylor Ham? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/village-kitchen-121/taylor-ham-140584/)

tomwed 01-24-2015 04:22 PM

Taylor Ham?

I would like to surprise some NJ friends with a Taylor Ham dinner party.
Does anyone know where I might buy it locally?

Edjkoz 01-24-2015 05:31 PM

Yes, we have found Taylor Porkroll at Publix but not all of the time. They don't have the rolls but they have the boxes. We buy whenever we see it

DangeloInspections 01-24-2015 06:08 PM

As Ed has posted, I have found it at Publix in two packages.....4 thicker slices or 8 thinner slices. Now recently I was very surprised to find a large huge long slab of it and I think it was at BJ's in Clermont.

Hope that helps!

Frank

TNLAKEPANDA 01-24-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edjkoz (Post 1000645)
Yes, we have found Taylor Porkroll at Publix but not all of the time. They don't have the rolls but they have the boxes. We buy whenever we see it

I check every time I am there. You must be the one buying it ALL. :boxing2: lol

lbertoni 01-24-2015 06:36 PM

Oh, please leave some for me. If your not from Jersey you wouldn't understand. Lorraine

nkrifats 01-24-2015 07:41 PM

Publix

Edjkoz 01-24-2015 08:11 PM

We are from NJ so we understand ��

zcaveman 01-24-2015 08:33 PM

I have seen it at Publix in a brown burlap roll near the hot dogs.

Z

tomwed 01-24-2015 09:53 PM

Thank's y'all. Please don't tell anyone back home I said y'all, I meant youse guys.

senior citizen 01-25-2015 06:15 AM

We ate Taylor Ham sandwiches almost every day for lunch in high school

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbertoni (Post 1000675)
Oh, please leave some for me. If your not from Jersey you wouldn't understand. Lorraine

I hear you. We ate Taylor Ham (Pork roll) sandwiches almost every single day for lunch while in high school back in the early '60s.

Although the school cafeteria's lunches were great, we just got addicted to the Taylor Ham (fried up crispy) on a hard Kaiser roll, so would walk across the park to Oliver Street where a small luncheonette served them.

The only difference was "would it be topped with mustard or ketchup". Obviously, we did not have sophisticated palates in those days.

At home I have not made them in a very very long time due to the very high sodium content.........but they were GREAT when we were younger.......

p.s. Cute story. When we moved to Vermont in 1970, we were reminiscing about Taylor Pork Roll..........I mentioned it to a friendly neighbor who was a "native" plus a country gal. She apparently went out & bought some.........she HATED IT. Guess she didn't know (until later) that she was supposed to fry it. Ate it just out of the wrapping. I guess she thought it was like cold cuts/cold meats.

senior citizen 01-25-2015 06:17 AM

Where is youse all guys from?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwed (Post 1000736)
Thank's y'all. Please don't tell anyone back home I said y'all, I meant youse guys.

Where is youse all guys from?

alanmcdonald 01-25-2015 07:35 AM

I remember Taylor Ham from Seaside Heights.

Once I had it I made my mom make it.

When I lived alone I had a frying pan dedicated to it.

If I can find it in TV it would bring back old memories!

tainsley 01-25-2015 08:48 AM

I had some sliced at the Publix deli in Colony just last week! It is $9.99/lb. Yummy!

tomwed 01-25-2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanmcdonald (Post 1000808)
I remember Taylor Ham from Seaside Heights.

Once I had it I made my mom make it.

When I lived alone I had a frying pan dedicated to it.

If I can find it in TV it would bring back old memories!

Yes, it seems like every town has it's own ocean town. I'm from Secaucus and Seaside Heights was the shore town. Jersey City, where I went to high school seemed to prefer Belmar. Delran, where I taught went to Ocean City. Philly went to Wildwood.

There was a shore town that had a Taylor Ham restaurant. I think it was Asbury Park. Before I was old enough to drive I could get there by train. check this out

alanmcdonald 01-25-2015 03:03 PM

Seaside Heights had a Taylor Ham restaurant, sometimes they would call it Taylor Pork Roll.