Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Google Internet (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/google-internet-140667/)

suediff 01-25-2015 01:15 PM

Google Internet

Goggle is starting a new internet and tv service. Google Fiber, https://fiber.google.com/about/.
It is only available in select cities right now. While I suspect the villages may be too small of a "city" for them to consider right now, they may if we inundate them with "address check" requests. On the home page there is a link at the top "check address" Click on that and enter your info. If we can get as many as possible doing that it should help. Even if you are satisfied with what you have now having another player in the game could create competition and price reductions.
It would be nice to have some internet/TV competition and Goggle can certainly supply that.

billethkid 01-25-2015 02:45 PM

Very interesting. I have entered our address and signed up to get updates. I am sure it will be many years before they get to our part of the world.

Pretty interesting offerings and would be nice to know pricing structure.

Fiber optics makes comcast "cable" technology really look tired by comparison. However, I suspect they too have updated or are updating the infrastructure and structure of their base operating technology. We are seeing some benefit, but not as much as say Direct TV and their new Geinie and mini Genies.

tuccillo 01-25-2015 03:28 PM

CenturyLink has fiber optic to the house and has an IPTV (TV over the internet) offering called Prism. I certainly welcome more competition but parts of The Villages are already on the cutting edge with fiber optic to the house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billethkid (Post 1001004)
Very interesting. I have entered our address and signed up to get updates. I am sure it will be many years before they get to our part of the world.

Pretty interesting offerings and would be nice to know pricing structure.

Fiber optics makes comcast "cable" technology really look tired by comparison. However, I suspect they too have updated or are updating the infrastructure and structure of their base operating technology. We are seeing some benefit, but not as much as say Direct TV and their new Geinie and mini Genies.

JoMar 01-25-2015 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuardMeSecurity (Post 1001204)
Google fiber only makes offerings to high density areas and areas where they can buy existing fiber optic networks (EG: they bought a municipal fiber optic network in Kansas City for a penny). I seriously doubt they will ever be in the villages or anywhere they have to invest money in initial infrastructure. Also take into consideration that most villagers wouldn't be happy having their backyards dug up to lay fiber trunk lines.

And yes, centurylink does have fiber to the home. But cable will be launching DOCSIS 3.1 sometime this year with multiple gigabit speeds available. Everyone will be moving to IPTV eventually, and the end prices are all the same. It's more about do you want the red apple or the green apple?

And don't forget Brighthouse......below 466A, another competitor

gpirate 01-30-2015 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighthouse Cable Lysander (Post 1003682)
Hello Fellow Villages,

Don't forget that with Brighthouse we offer speeds up to 150Mbps download. I have plenty of campaigns available for new customer to come onboard. Also with 150Mbps you get free echo WIFI throughout your home.

Another benefit of having brighthouse is that you get access to our free WiFi hotspots that are available at all the Rec/Pool centers south of CR466A.

For more information feel free to call or email me.

Only problem I have is you do not cover most of The Villages. Please expand your coverage so we all can enjoy your offerings.